IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

Ha! Maybe, that's just coincidence. It's a useful little device for repairing arcade boards. You might also see my custom JAMMA tester beside it.

In a way, the fact that it was a coincidence is even more impressive! I thought you had planted it there as a sly reference to Carlsen's original "quick demo" video. Either way, very nicely done!

Related quotations:

Be aware of yes men. Generally, they are losers. Surround yourself with winners.
~Bear Bryant

You know, my family and friends have never been yes-men: Yes, you're doing the right thing, you're always right. No, they tell me when I'm wrong, and that's why I've been able to stay who I am and stay humble.
~LeBron James

• Like 1

None. It was just a possibility that I raised because the ventilation slots visible through the controller port holes seemed too bright to have been molded in black plastic. But the case is so glossy that it could very well have been reflected light from outside (a light positioned over the table, for instance).

Old post I know, but the Chameleon appeared to be sitting on a glass brick, which whould explain light getting in.

Oh shoot guys, I just found the problem...

So, while its great that the jaguar can now flawlessly play the full snes library,

I keep running the numbers on this whole thing,

and no matter how I look at it,

...16 keeps coming up lower than 64.

I is confuse,

Maybe we should ask Mike to check his figures on this.

WeUzgh5.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Fortunately they can't delete your tweets; the most they can do is block you but you can still see their feed and respond to their tweets. They did delete my comments and blocked me from posting on their page on Facebook, however.

Yeah, I couldn't tell that SD&R's thumbnail was Twitter rather than Facebook. I chimed in on Facebook but have since been erased. They're very busy with the editing, what a great feeling that must be for them.

Welcome to Atari Age, Derek! It's fun here.

• Like 2

Just barely into the Mike interview and he's said he's using the same FPGA (hardware wise) Kevin Horton does AND they've purchased an Intellivision and Amiga core.

Cyclone 5 or something it was.

EDIT: He seems to say John was making a system that could run Mighty No. 9 type stuff. Seems something like it will not run on the Chameleon.

EDIT 2: Mike says his team says what's inside the Chameleon is gonna "blow the nerds away". He also refers to "opening it up", Obviously he doesn't meaning opening up the actual proto. ;) So it appears as complete specs will launch with KS.

EDIT 3: Mike was says you can play a huge game on it, but it'll cost a lot on a cartridge. [Doesn't seem friendly with Unity]

EDIT 4: Mike mentions $20-$50 for cart prices, $50 being like a sequel to an old school title.

EDIT 5: Kickstarter goal $400 - $500 000

EDIT 6: USB controllers are supposed to be compatible with Chameleon.

Edited by bretthorror
  • Like 2

Just barely into the Mike interview and he's said he's using the same FPGA (hardware wise) Kevin Horton does AND they've purchased an Intellivision and Amiga core.

Cyclone 5 or something it was.

EDIT: He seems to say John was making a system that could run Mighty No. 9 type stuff. Seems something like it will not run on the Chameleon.

Cyclone V http://www.mouser.com/new/altera/altera-cyclonev/

It all comes down to what you do with it, of course.

• Like 1

So listening to that seems maybe the KS goal is going to be about 400K-500K from what was said but I suppose by this point that may not really be worth much. Well, my opinion is that that is far too much to be funded.

Edited by TheClassyGamer

Please summarize anything interesting, and thanks for taking the time to check that out. I feel I'm too close to death to waste time listening to Mike Kennedy.

I skipped right to the SNES question. Here's a rough transcript, starting at about 21:00:

Interviewer: "I know that some people, after seeing the video that you guys posted, there's been some controversy goin' around, they're thinking that you guys have an SNES in there and stuff, so what do you say to those people?"

Mike: "Well, we ... okay, so ... our hardware guy ... so this one has composite out ... we're still working on wrapping up some of the HD stuff. It was our easiest way of getting composite out, to take ... they did use an SNES cord(?) ... that's what everybody saw. I mean, I posted the picture ... I was like, here's what we've got going ... it just didn't occur to me that it would turn into such a big thing. It was our easiest way to get composite out for the show, and that's what we've got ... it happens that all the games we have are SNES because that's the games [that] Piko and CollectorVision--you know, John Lester-- we've got Sydney Hunter. It's a SNES game. So our first development path for this was to create a SNES FPGA, so we could play those games. So that's what ... we had a company create that for us, so that was why ... you know ... to create a Genesis core was a whole other thing ... I mean, we know we can do it, but again, the first one we did was SNES, and Piko has these SNES games and John's got some games, so okay, we'll show SNES games at the show, so that's what we did. But we're gonna open it up [at the Kickstarter launch]."

It went on from there to a discussion of the Kickstarter campaign, when he promised that "there isn't going to be anything to speculate about" because "everything will be opened up."

• Like 8

Yes, as to who made it, "a company".

Tiny Knight also is supposed to be coming back. 4th Quarter delivery for Chameleon.

Can't believe one word, if a company had a SNES core it would have gone solo and made money.

On the FPGA side, the Cyclone V SE (with ARM) has no GPU to speak of .... that would be interesting for any non emu games.

EDIT: and it doesn't take 4 days to address a rumor that could have been silenced (and actually transformed into a resounding WOW) by simply showing the PCB running with the game inserted .... the FPGA type and model are not secrets.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 3

23:10 "we're trying to target a 4th quarter delivery, we're about 50 days from going to production", suppliy chains, PCBs, distributors are all still set up from the Retro VGS. Then at 25:00 he doesn't know whether to manufacture in China or the US.

• Like 7