IGNORED

Coleco Chameleon .... hardware speculations?

phoenixdownita

It's disgusting to see Mike throwing John under the bus like that. Even if it was true that John refused to make a prototype, still it is Mike's responsibility as the lead of the Project to make things work. But guess what? John was probably working for free, wasting his time and Money on this scam, and now he's accused of being at fault. Mike even admits he had another Team. Even though that's inacurate for all we know, because word out is he had 2 Teams working on this before John. And again, as far as I know, working for free. And when Mike felt they were not needed, they just got the boot. And now the new Hardware guy is to be Held responsible? All evidence Points that it wasn't a Hardware guy who made this "prototype". This hack Job is a disgrace even to scammers. Any Jerk out there who wanted to pull one on other People would have made a power Switch and LED work. And probably go through the Trouble of rounding a couple more edges. At least beyond the Point of just taping stuff together.

According to Kev, Mike was all about promises of the sun, moon and stars... big money payoffs, but no money forthcoming until the big money starts rolling in. I'm sure John was fed the same line of BS -- make us a useable widget and you'll get your reward when Mike gets his.

I'm beginning to think Mike's modus operandi is that the big promised payday never comes. It's the video game industry version of Hollywood Accounting.

"Sorry dude, project made no money. Can't pay you right now. Call me next week"

Edited by rob_ocelot
  • Like 5

Where is this USB ColecoVision-style controller coming from?

Sounds like more development costs.

Kickstarter Reward #6 $225: COLECOVISION LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game (yet to reveal) + ColecoVision Collection #1 (15-Game Multicart) + one exclusive USB ColecoVision style controller.

• Like 1

Where is this USB ColecoVision-style controller coming from?

Sounds like more development costs.

Magician hat, next to the bunny.

EDIT: more likely AtGames CV flashback manufacturer, small change to make'em USB, he wants to charge you 45US$ for that.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 2

The other thought that springs to mind...

Given how bold (or dumb) they were to think they could pass off what they did at ToyFair what are the chances they will try and bluff Kickstarter when they ask to see documented proof of a working prototype?

If they are mentally in the zone of passing off someone else's work as their own then it's not much more of a stretch to pull a bait-and-switch.

Does Mike think all he has to do is email Kickstarter a photoshopped picture of the Chameleon with a circuit board in it and a TV beside it showing a game? Or a video of a game running on screen with a feed from another system?

A week ago I would have thought that was being hugely biased and negative against them, given their word that things would be different and we were moving on from the RVGS.

Now, I have no place lower to set the bar unless I dig into the ground.

Remember, we were told that we'd have our socks blown off at Toyfair in Feb. Well, my socks are off, my feet are dirty and you can't unshit this bed.

• Like 3

Remember, we were told that we'd have our socks blown off at Toyfair in Feb.

Yeah, I remember those kind of statements as well. From their facebook,

7 oktober:

Just a note we are continuing to move forward working on the RETRO VGS playable prototype.

15 oktbober:

RVGS parts are in and a "breadboard" is coming together, which means we are getting closer to having a playable prototype.

25 oktober:

Just a note we are making great progress with a newly engineered RVGS. The good thing is that RVGS is going to be better and less expensive for going through all this.

1 november:

Just a short note letting you all know we are still here and working diligently on our playable prototype. The great news is we are continuing to make great strides in engineering the eventual price down considerably so that it will be well within reach of all of you. Sit tight for more future announcements and thanks again for your continued support and excitement to help us bring cartridge gaming back to the forefront.

23 november:

While the hardware team is continuing to work their magic developing the prototype...

18 december:

...Many have mentioned they are still awaiting actual prototype hardware and wondering what is inside COLECO Chameleon. As we've said before we have made great progress over the last two months, but are waiting until we have the prototype 100% buttoned up before going public so we avoid the issues from before, talking about things, making changes, etc. So please, continue being patient with us while we do what you all want, making and demonstrating a playable prototype. Once we have this, all will be revealed. And rest assured, it will be at a very inviting price point. Thanks again for all your support, comments and questions.

Is there any truth in this project???

• Like 8

EDIT: more likely AtGames CV flashback manufacturer, small change to make'em USB, he wants to charge you 45US$ for that.

One reason i didn't buy it, the CV had a beastly Controller.

Just hope one day they can do it right including getting the sound correct for CV emulation since that makes or breaks the system

The other thought that springs to mind...

Given how bold (or dumb) they were to think they could pass off what they did at ToyFair what are the chances they will try and bluff Kickstarter when they ask to see documented proof of a working prototype?

If they are mentally in the zone of passing off someone else's work as their own then it's not much more of a stretch to pull a bait-and-switch.

Does Mike think all he has to do is email Kickstarter a photoshopped picture of the Chameleon with a circuit board in it and a TV beside it showing a game? Or a video of a game running on screen with a feed from another system?

A week ago I would have thought that was being hugely biased and negative against them, given their word that things would be different and we were moving on from the RVGS.

Now, I have no place lower to set the bar unless I dig into the ground.

Remember, we were told that we'd have our socks blown off at Toyfair in Feb. Well, my socks are off, my feet are dirty and you can't unshit this bed.

Or ...... they gonna change their mind in a couple of days and go IGG? (as if it didn't happen before)

[that would be an unanticipated twist that would add a whole other dimension, but it's too early for that (drooling)]

AtGames has zero association with any of this, so they would not be able to re-use any of the AtGames stuff in any capacity.

• Like 4

According to Kev, Mike was all about promises of the sun, moon and stars... big money payoffs, but no money forthcoming until the big money starts rolling in. I'm sure John was fed the same line of BS -- make us a useable widget and you'll get your reward when Mike gets his.

I'm beginning to think Mike's modus operandi is that the big promised payday never comes. It's the video game industry version of Hollywood Accounting.

"Sorry dude, project made no money. Can't pay you right now. Call me next week"

Was there anybody in that interview that Mike DIDN'T throw under the bus?

Let's see:

1. Steve Woita: "We had a prototype working last January. Then Steve said we had to add an FPGA..."

2. The pre-John hardware guys. "They took that that prototype with them and are doing other stuff with it".

3. John Carlsen. "He's used to unlimited budgets and made it too expensive and complicated."

4. Kevtris- "We found a guy who sold us cores for much cheaper than what Kevin wanted." ****

5. The new hardware guy(Tyler Durden) "I'm not a hardware guy! He used the SNES AV cable that caused so much hassle because it was easiest. I'm not sure. Didn't I mention I'm not a hardware guy?"

*** So where did he find this unknown savant that can make a flawless SNES FPGA core in at most four months? And so cheap? I have images of a Korean animation sweatshop and a lowly worker going up to his supervisor:

Supervisor: Have you finished your quota of 1000 Sailor Moon cells today?

Worker: Yes, Sir. May I go now?

Supervisor: Once you have finished the SNES FPGA core for the American, you can take your rest break.

Or maybe he hired these multi-talented individuals.

• Like 1

They have amended the Coleco fans bundle to include two controllers.

Kickstarter Reward #6 $225: COLECOVISION LOVERS RETAIL BUNDLE. Includes black Coleco Chameleon video game system, one Coleco Chameleon USB controller, HDMI cable, AC adapter + the pack-in game (yet to reveal) + ColecoVision Collection #1 (15-Game Multicart) + (correction) TWO exclusive USB ColecoVision style controllers.

Look for the next Kickstarter Reward tomorrow morning at 7:00 AM PT, 10:00 AM ET.

ColecoVision games! $15 each (bundle only), playable only on this weirdo vapor system, sometime in the future! WHAT YEAR IS IT?

I hope all you ColecoVision Flashback haters think about what you've done, because 60 games at $0.50 each is a better deal than 15 games at $15.00 each.

I wonder why they feel the need to pre-load all the sticker shock, without showing us what it would be buying? When they sell crap on late night TV, it's always "how much would you pay for that? But wait, there's more!" Not here. Money up front, cash on the barrel.

• Like 3

They have amended the Coleco fans bundle to include two controllers.

ColecoVision games! $15 each (bundle only), playable only on this weirdo vapor system, sometime in the future! WHAT YEAR IS IT?

I hope all you ColecoVision Flashback haters think about what you've done, because 60 games at $0.50 each is a better deal than 15 games at $15.00 each.

I wonder why they feel the need to pre-load all the sticker shock, without showing us what it would be buying? When they sell crap on late night TV, it's always "how much would you pay for that? But wait, there's more!" Not here. Money up front, cash on the barrel.

Then it means the ctrls are dirt cheap ..... so the main unit should come with 2 and the BEAT-EM UP LOVERS shouldn't charge 35US$ to play with a friend.

And tomorrow: INTV multi pack + 2 ctrl ...... just my guess!

• Like 1

Good for them, but I am pretty sure it's not too hard to convince the chinese ctrl manufacturer to have a "counterfeit" CC version of said controller.

Please don't automatically think that all Chinese based manufacturers are willing to do things like that. It's not at all how it works. For the quantity of systems AtGames has built, I doubt they've just chosen any random manufacturer. Many of these manufacturers run completely legit businesses and aren't about to do any deals that you're suggesting.

• Like 1

Please don't automatically think that all Chinese based manufacturers are willing to do things like that. It's not at all how it works. For the quantity of systems AtGames has built, I doubt they've just chosen any random manufacturer. Many of these manufacturers run completely legit businesses and aren't about to do any deals that you're suggesting.

Yes but the one next door has probably a quick way to clone it, no question asked.

Wow. When i made my assumptions about the ColecoVision compilations the other day i seriously doubted that they would go so far as 4 carts of 15 games each, totally assuming that they would do 3x20 or 2x30 instead.

Seriously. They are adding 75$ to the base deal and throw in 15 CV games and 2 CV controllers!? Anyone who has an urge to play ColecoVision and go for that ripoff instead of the Flashback that gives you 2 controllers and 60 games for 30$ thats below half the price, is seriously deluded in my opinion.

• Like 6

(Not replying to any particular comment, just a random thought)

To be somewhat hypocritical and take the high road for a minute, the comic opportunities from all this are almost limitless but if it goes too far it can become bullying. Mike seems like an OK guy at heart whose dreams of fame and fortune running a Retro gaming empire are looking less and less likely as we get closer to what promises to be a disastrous Kickstarter (or Indiegogo).

Mike is likely quite committed to this project financially (has already talked about cashing out some 401K retirement savings for just the molds), and is still betting everything on being able to bluff his way to finding a big investor (or crowdfunders), paying someone to build this thing, and releasing a succesful product. I do worry about him and I hope he's OK when it all comes crashing down and he fails again in front of his friends, family, and the community.

Edited by galax
  • Like 1

(Not replying to any particular comment, just a random thought)

To be somewhat hypocritical and take the high road for a minute, the comic opportunities from all this are almost limitless but if it goes too far it can become bullying. Mike seems like an OK guy at heart whose dreams of fame and fortune running a Retro gaming empire are looking less and less likely as we get closer to what promises to be a disastrous Kickstarter (or Indiegogo).

Mike is likely quite committed to this project financially (has already talked about cashing out some 401K retirement savings for just the molds), and is still betting everything on being able to bluff his way to finding a big investor (or crowdfunders), paying someone to build this thing, and releasing a succesful product. I do worry about him and I hope he's OK when it all comes crashing down and he fails again in front of his friends, family, and the community.

Mike hasn't given anyone reason to respect him at all. I don't care how well meaning his dream is, the deceptions and lies are inexcusable. He had ample opportunity to make things right this time around. Instead, he has chosen to make fools of the same people he wanted to have buy his product.

Let's also remember this isn't the first project of his to have issues. RETRO has been anything but a smooth experience. Even for that business, the responses he gives people who are simply looking for answers can be mind boggling. If he can't properly manage a magazine, how does anyone expect him to get a new piece of hardware to market?

• Like 10