IGNORED

My HDTV doesn't like my Intellivision

HoshiChiri

ok. Pm me if you are interested in replacing your tuner. Also have you tried both channels 3 and 4 on your intv and vcr? and are they both on the same channel?

I just thought of something else. On your tv go into the menu/ picture and change your picture to like vivid or something like that. Depending on what your tv calls it. That might fix the darker/saturated colors.

One other thought too. If you have any cables looped around (ie: keeping them short and untangled) unloop them. The loops can weaken your signal a lot.

I double checked and everything is running on channel 3. I'll mess with my TV settings later, as well as go through my cables- I have a lot of stuff hooked up, which means a lot of cables running all over in my setup- I really need to just get a big ol' bag of Velcro cable ties, take everything out, and slowly reset the whole thing.

The RF cables are better shielded than just a plain RCA cables, but using a coaxial cable would be better if you have a lot of cables. This is why we were trying to confirm the types of cables you are using.

I think right now you mentioned you have things connected like this: INTV > RF Cable > Coaxial Adapter > VCR and the adapter is RCA female to coaxial male, correct? You are using an RF cable with the adapter at the end out at the TV-VCR end

Maybe you can get a different adapter. One that is RCA male to coaxial female.

This will allow you to connect like this: INTV > RCA/Coax Adapter > Coaxial cable > TV and in this way there is no RF cable at all. The better shielded coaxial cable is the one that is running along side your big bundle of other cables.

Overall it may help, but to what degree is unknown if your INTV output is low to begin with.

Also, since using the VCR seems to help, how are you connecting from the VCR to the TV? If you are using coaxial out of the VCR into the TV antenna in, have you tried to use VCR Composite Video (RCA) out of the VCR into the TV?

The VCR is running via composite to my 8-in switchbox, then to the composite in on the TV. I haven't tried connecting the VCR directly- it's another hard to get to point, so even if it did help I wouldn't be crawling back there to make the swap. I might try it later, just to see.

I'll definitely look into the alternate adapter, I have spare coaxial cables all over the place so that'd be an easy option to check!

The VCR is running via composite to my 8-in switchbox, then to the composite in on the TV. I haven't tried connecting the VCR directly- it's another hard to get to point, so even if it did help I wouldn't be crawling back there to make the swap. I might try it later, just to see.

I'll definitely look into the alternate adapter, I have spare coaxial cables all over the place so that'd be an easy option to check!

also try your vcr and intv on channel four. Might give you a stronger signal.

Rattling is never a good sound?

I dunno, babies like rattles.

Now if it is a snake that is rattling, then that certainly is not a good sign

If you're my uncle, it's fine- he hunts and lives in the desert, so he's got a lil' collection of rattles.

In the case of my Inty, it sounds like there's a coin stuck in there. I'm afraid to open it up- I don't want to accidentally unseat something important. Or find dead bugs.

In the case of my Inty, it sounds like there's a coin stuck in there. I'm afraid to open it up- I don't want to accidentally unseat something important. Or find dead bugs.

Better dead bugs than LIVE ones!

My guess is the rattling is one of the thin metal heat sinks came off a chip.

Better dead bugs than LIVE ones!

My guess is the rattling is one of the thin metal heat sinks came off a chip.

You have a point- live bugs would result in a post saying 'free bug-filled Intellivision, just remove from trash before I set it on fire'.

Is a broken heat sink something I should be concerned about? The system doesn't get any especially long play (maybe an hour a session, tops) and isn't plugged in when not in use- but I'd rather not burn it out if I can avoid it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had to put the Inty aside for a bit to deal with various other projects, but I had time today to pull it out and fiddle with the channel settings. These are my results:

Connected to the VCR, channel 3- washed out color, stable picture.

Connected to the VCR, channel 4- monochrome, stable picture, slight bleeding.

Connected to the A/B switch, channel 3- full color, glitched picture.

Connected to the A/B switch, channel 4- slightly muted color, stable picture- but static when bullets/balls/etc move. Nothing that makes it unplayable, too subtle to get video of.

Any mix of non-matching channels- no picture.

There is a definite correlation between color saturation and picture stability. Still haven't tried the alternate adapter... I have to remember which Radio Shack (if any) is the one that didn't close. (Or possibly make the long trip to Fry's, but I'm not up there often enough to immediately know if they'd have it.)

I also haven't checked on that rattle yet- I discovered I don't own a skinny enough screwdriver to actually get the screws out! That one's easier to fix, so I'll probably be checking that soon. Provided I don't re-convince myself it's a dead something.

Had to put the Inty aside for a bit to deal with various other projects, but I had time today to pull it out and fiddle with the channel settings. These are my results:

Connected to the VCR, channel 3- washed out color, stable picture.

Connected to the VCR, channel 4- monochrome, stable picture, slight bleeding.

Connected to the A/B switch, channel 3- full color, glitched picture.

Connected to the A/B switch, channel 4- slightly muted color, stable picture- but static when bullets/balls/etc move. Nothing that makes it unplayable, too subtle to get video of.

Any mix of non-matching channels- no picture.

There is a definite correlation between color saturation and picture stability. Still haven't tried the alternate adapter... I have to remember which Radio Shack (if any) is the one that didn't close. (Or possibly make the long trip to Fry's, but I'm not up there often enough to immediately know if they'd have it.)

I also haven't checked on that rattle yet- I discovered I don't own a skinny enough screwdriver to actually get the screws out! That one's easier to fix, so I'll probably be checking that soon. Provided I don't re-convince myself it's a dead something.

im sure i have asked but just to double check, you are flipping the channel switch on the bottom of the intellivision, right?

im sure i have asked but just to double check, you are flipping the channel switch on the bottom of the intellivision, right?

Yes- I tried every combination of the tv on 3/4 and the Inty switch on 3/4 to see which setup gave me the best results. I'll do it again once I get that other adapter.