IGNORED

Super Pro Utopia?

intvdave

Sir Jay, try out this version. The weather starts in random locations. Is that not how it is in real? Weather does not always start in the North Pole. The hurricanes needs more fine tuning but if we call them tornadoes and update the image then we are good.

attachicon.gifUtopia.rom

I will give it a try as soon as I figure out emulation. I'm a little behind on my goal to have it up and running. Soon. I'm not saying that the weather always goes NW to SE, but it seems to move in that version on my cart 80 percent of the time. Occasionally it will pause and change direction, but not very often. And it almost never starts in the East, whether NE or SE.

In real life weather isn't all that random. There are definite patterns, places where stormfronts often begin, places they often go...

There's definitely a random component, but also a huge non-random component.

I think knowing which tiles are more likely to get rain is good for planning purposes.

Just sayin'...

In real life weather isn't all that random. There are definite patterns, places where stormfronts often begin, places they often go...

There's definitely a random component, but also a huge non-random component.

I think knowing which tiles are more likely to get rain is good for planning purposes.

Just sayin'...

Weather sure feels random in real life.

One day we have 75 degrees...next day 55 and raining.....then 3 days later its freezing cold. Just sayin.

• Like 1

One day we have 75 degrees...next day 55 and raining.....then 3 days later its freezing cold. Just sayin.

True, but we also have jungle rainforests and dry deserts.

A great game like Utopia should capture both the randomness and the patterns well.

Edited by BillyHW

The storm systems into the US aren't that random.

Each year:

The west coast gets their storms sent over from Russia.

The midwest gets their cold fronts dropped down from Canada.

The east coast gets all their hurricanes sent up from the Caribbean.

You see? very predictable

To me the most crucial things are:

• more islands
  • 1P mode if possible (whether vs. the computer, or some sort of expanded mode where you run a big island)
  • fulfilling the manual's broken promise of a "Governor's Award" to give you a concrete goal

I'm not sure if the mechanics of the game itself really need any rejiggering, though the Tower always seemed like a weird beast. Adding new buildings would risk running out of keypad buttons or BACKTAB cards, no?

BTW a 2P co-op mode where one person controls the fishing boats would be awesome. I suppose you could even do up to 4P with that option. Intellivoice support could also be fun: "We're hungry!" "We're too crowded!" "We can't breathe!"

• Like 1

1. Single Player would be good.

2. Fix the weather patterns over the left island as the only place you can reliably grow crops is the lower right of the island

3. 4 player would be great. To accommodate 4 players, replace the islands with a continent divided in 4 spaces.

4. In a continent type game you can acquire and use tiles of the other player's land.

Sorry I broght the idea up....at least those interested have a version where the weather is more random.

We absolutely would love an upgraded version of this game, we've been clamouring for it for quite some time. In fact it's probably the first game in line for most folks in terms of wanting to see a Super Pro version.

• Like 1

Actually, I personally don't mind the weather as it is now, but what I was trying to say is that if the shapes and locations of the islands are going to change then the weather should be randomized so it is at least fair for both islands. If not, I want to build my island in the center of the screen on a diagonal from NW to SE.

Why have weather if it is predictable? Which brings up the question, why have the option of where to put crops down if you already know where the weather is going to be?

I was a bit surprised to see that people wanted 3 and/or 4 player options. Making a one player version does not seem to be worth the effort.

After seing that some of you wanted interesting options such as sharks with lasers, I knew I was going in the wrong direction with updating the game. Utopia was not a game I played as a kid. I just thought it would be nice to update the game for those that would play it. I am going to focus on updating games I play and understand better. Sorry to have brought this thread up. Maybe someone can close this thread.

After seing that some of you wanted interesting options such as sharks with lasers

David, that's just a goofy joke from Austin Powers. It wasn't intended with any seriousness. It's not at all clear to me why you've suddenly gotten so offended (if that's the right word); everyone here is enthusiastic about the idea of a Super Pro Utopia.

Regarding 3P and 4P options, I just thought that -- given the fact that the ECS is so underutilized -- it could be fun to have an option where our young sons/daughters could play along by driving the fishing boats. If you don't want to do that, don't do it, of course!

I understand how it could be off-putting if you don't have any real attachment to the game, but be assured that lots of us have put many hours into Utopia, so the enthusiasm here is real and sincere. My wife and I pretty much ran it into the ground when I first got my Intellivision back in 2009, and memories of the game from the 1980s were one of the main reasons I got an Intellivision again in the first place. I'd love to have a reason to play it again, and new islands/land patterns would help a lot.

Why have weather if it is predictable? Which brings up the question, why have the option of where to put crops down if you already know where the weather is going to be?

I was a bit surprised to see that people wanted 3 and/or 4 player options. Making a one player version does not seem to be worth the effort.

After seing that some of you wanted interesting options such as sharks with lasers, I knew I was going in the wrong direction with updating the game. Utopia was not a game I played as a kid. I just thought it would be nice to update the game for those that would play it. I am going to focus on updating games I play and understand better. Sorry to have brought this thread up. Maybe someone can close this thread.

That's a shame as it was certainly a game I played a lot and would love to see a one player version.

No need for complicated changes, just a good solid one player version would be a game I would play a lot.

And I hope you don't get put off by silly and unrealistic suggestions and you reconsider making this as if anyone can pull this off it would be you David..

Dave, if all you did to make it super pro was to make a 1 player option, everyone here would be extremely ecstatic.

This. Exactly this, as I stated a couple of times. As for the shark comment that was simply an Austin Powers reference and not a serious suggestion. On occasion we joke around in the Inty forums. :) As I've said, for many folks his would be the first game on their list for an upgrade, starting with 1P mode.