IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

My times for the week:

TurboGrafx-16:
Hit the Ice - 152 min.
Sega Genesis:
Chess - 81 min.
Micro Machines Military - 12 min.
Game Boy:
Jordan vs. Bird: One On One - 59 min.
Super Scrabble - 55 min.
Word Zap - 117 min.
Sega Saturn:
P.T.O. II - 3 min.
Robotica - 35 min.
Virtual Open Tennis - 47 min.
Dreamcast:
Advanced Daisenryaku 2001 - 5 min.
Frame Gride - 5 min.
Beat Chess on the highest difficulty with the black pieces, and also finished off Jordan vs. Bird by winning the 3-point and slam dunk contests. Thoughts on those here.
I also beat the lower difficulty levels of Super Scrabble and Word Zap, and came close to beating Hit the Ice but lost the final championship match.
In the midst of all this I trotted out the Saturn for the first time in ages, playing a couple matches in Virtual Open Tennis (winning one) and finishing the first group of levels in Robotica (which doesn't have a save function so it's moot).
  • Like 6

With a properly working CRT TV in the house once again it was a pretty great week for Atari around here, though the PlayStation saw quite a bit of love too. :)

[Picture coming later tonight. I had to rush off to a doctor's appointment before I had the chance to take it.]

Ineligible

The Pinball of the Dead (Game Boy Advance) - 152 minutes

Atari 2600

Adventure - 33 minutes

Fat Albert - 8 minutes

Frogger - 11 minutes

Ikari Warriors - 3 minutes

Kangaroo - 6 minutes

Kung-Fu Master - 5 minutes

Millipede - 11 minutes

Millipede TB - 28 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 24 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 47 minutes

Pete Rose Baseball - 20 minutes

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns - 26 minutes

Scramble - 24 minutes

Sentinel - 12 minutes

Space Rocks - 23 minutes

Super Breakout - 18 minutes

Atari 7800 (emulated on Nintendo Wii)
Pete Rose Baseball - 89 minutes

Game Boy

Xenon 2 - 23 minutes

PC-DOS

Wolfenstein 3D (played on Wolfenstein 3D for Game Boy Advance) - 52 minutes

PlayStation
Area 51 - 84 minutes

Tomb Raider II - 529 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,228 minutes (20 hours 28 minutes) [1,076 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
PlayStation: 613 minutes

Atari 2600: 299 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 152 minutes

Atari 7800: 89 minutes

PC-DOS: 52 minutes

Game Boy: 23 minutes

As mentioned in the heading, the big gaming event in my household this week was getting a 20" WEGA Trinitron CRT TV from 2006 to replace our old 1995 model Trinitron that had the coaxial port die on us and started developing a horizontal line through the middle of the picture. After getting the picture calibrated as best we could it does look pretty darn good, though the picture quality seems to vary from system to system. It looks phenomenal when used with the PlayStation and NES, though the picture is strangely blurry with the Wii and does show a bit of color bleed when used with the Atari 2600. So it's not exactly consistent when it comes to visual quality, but it's still vastly better than trying to play these classic systems on a modern LCD/LED TV.

In terms of the games that were played this week, as expected the misses and I both logged quite a bit of Atari 2600 time by way of the exceedingly awesome Harmony Encore cartridge. I had a ton of fun with some newer releases like Millipede TB and Scramble, and the misses revisited some old favorites such as Adventure and Frogger; and found a new favorite in Space Rocks. I also took the time to do a complete play through of Pitfall II: Lost Caverns with the CX-78 joypad and I have to say that the more I use that thing the more I love it. It did take a little practice getting used to the response timing from the D-Pad, but once I got the hang of it I was totally enamored with it and have been really glad to have it in my controller collection. It feels just perfect for platforming games like Pitfall II, and I really like it for general purpose Atari gaming as well.

Outside of timeless joy that is the Atari 2600, this week I started in on (what I intend to be) a full play through of the classic PC-DOS version of Wolfenstein 3D that was ported to the Game Boy Advance in all it's original unedited and uncensored glory. I did get a little distracted by The Pinball of the Dead, which is quite possibly my all time favorite video pinball game, but I'm sure I'll be getting back to Wolfenstein 3D next week. I also ended up doing another play through of Area 51 on the PlayStation, then went back to play it a second time afterwards to see how many of the secret areas I could access and try to beat my previous high score. At this point I there's only 2 secret areas in the game that I haven't been able to get into, and for those I might need to pickup another Konami Hyper Blaster light gun and find a second person who's up for playing some Area 51 with me; since the targets you have to shoot to access them go by a little too quickly for one player to hit all of them on their own.

The only other game of real note that I played this week was Pete Rose Baseball for the Atari 7800, which—in spite of the somewhat negative critical reviews it got—I actually enjoyed quite a bit. I'm not really a sports fan myself, but after seeing the Cubs win the world series I did feel the need to play a baseball game in their honor and since I knew Pete Rose Baseball was the best baseball game on the Atari 2600 (thanks to the fairly substantial amount of time that my other half has spent playing it) so I thought I'd give the 7800 a try. For all intents and purposes it was exactly the same game as the 2600 version, just with improved graphics and a somewhat lower difficulty level. It took me a few tries but I was able to beat it once I figured out the types of pitches that the computer usually strikes out on, and overall I thought it was just a really fun and solid game.

As far as my wife's gaming time this week goes, outside of the 10 or 15 minutes here and there that she spent playing Atari 2600, for her it was all about Tomb Raider II on the PlayStation. She loved the original Tomb Raider when she played it a few years back but had never tried the second game before, so this week she decided to give it a go. And as you might be able to guess by the nearly 10 hours of play time logged, she's been having a pretty great time with it. I imagine she'll continue playing it for a good one or two more weeks before she finishes it, but what the gaming gods have in store for me next week is a little less certain. Tomorrow I'll be undergoing dental surgery under general anesthesia to have 14 teeth extracted (I suppose it's what I get for being afraid to go to the dentist for most of my life) and I imagine that I'll be in pretty rough shape after I wake up from the surgery, so I might not be feeling up to doing a whole lot of gaming over the coming week. Or, alternately, maybe I won't feel up to doing much of anything other than sitting around playing games while I recover and wait for the dentures that I'm going to have to start wearing to be made.

In any case, I'll keep my head up and try to stay positive about it all and I hope that all of you fine folks have a wonderful week of fun and gaming. :)

• Like 6

I had nine "erupted" (broken off really) teeth removed about 3 years ago. The only thing that hurt was the general anesthesia needle going in my arm.

They prescribed oxycodone but I never needed it. There was no pain. I did take a few to see how it would make me feel, but I didn't notice any difference.

I hope your surgery goes as smoothly as mine went.

Edited by Atarian7
  • Like 3

[Picture coming later tonight. I had to rush off to a doctor's appointment before I had the chance to take it.]

And here it is, as promised.

hHp4432.jpg

An awful lot of controllers for very few cartridges, but that is one of the things I love about Atari. So many controller options to choose from! :D Even though I did play some Sentinel on the Atari 2600 this past week there's no Atari light gun in the picture, since my Atari light gun from Best Electronics ended up having issues so it has been sent back to Best for replacement. Other than that though, everything that was played this week is there.

I had nine "erupted" (broken off really) teeth removed about 3 years ago. The only thing that hurt was the general anesthesia needle going in my arm.

They prescribed oxycodone but I never needed it. There was no pain. I did take a few to see how it would make me feel, but I didn't notice any difference.

I hope your surgery goes as smoothly as mine went.

@Jin. Hope you have a successful oral surgery and everything goes well. Teeth do suck! I just got a crown done 2 weeks ago.

Aww, thanks guys! It's really reassuring to hear that your recovery went so smoothly Atarian, since I'm in pretty much the same boat you were. A whole bunch of teeth that just decayed and crumbled down to stubs over time need to come out, since I keep getting tooth and jaw infections every fall and winter from having them in there. With any luck around noon tomorrow I'll just lay down in a hospital bed and wake up a few hours later with a slightly swollen face and around a dozen less problematic teeth. I imagine that the month or so that I'll have to wait for the gums to heal up before I can get a partial denture made won't be too much fun, since I'll only have three teeth on the top row left to chew with during that time, but at least I get to keep my front ones. And hey, once this is over there will be no more having to deal with painful tooth and jaw infections every fall and winter. I think that any discomfort I might have from the healing gums after surgery will have to be way less unpleasant than the infections that I've been dealing with off and on for so many years. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

I combed through the threads to see which weeks we hit the most number of systems. It appears thrice we reached 28 different systems: weeks 37-38 in 2015 (followed by 26 systems in week 39) and week 6 in 2016. It doesn't seem entirely impossible for us to gather 30 systems in one week - perhaps that will happen before end of the year?

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 45, running from October 31 - November 6. We logged 3878 minutes of eligible play, playing 115 games on a total of 23 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 529

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 261

3. Hit the Ice (TG-16/PC Engine) - 152

4. Silent Hunter (PC (DOS)) - 144

5. SimCity 3000 (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 120

6. WordZap (Game Boy) - 117

7. Wolfenstein 3D (PC (DOS)) - 102

8. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 7800) - 89

9. Area 51 (PlayStation) - 84

10. Chess (Genesis) - 81

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 261

2. Pete Rose Baseball (Atari 7800) - 89

3. Hyperchase (Vectrex) - 80

4. Clean Sweep (Vectrex) - 75

5. Mine Storm (Vectrex) - 65

6. N.E.L.S. (Vectrex) - 52

7. New Pac-Man (8k version) (Atari 2600) - 47

8. Bubble Bobble (Apple II) - 45

8. Impossible Mission (Apple II) - 45

8. Karateka (Apple II) - 45

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (613)

2. Atari 2600 (575)

3. PC (DOS) (371)

4. Game Boy (334)

5. Vectrex (332)

6. Apple II (270)

7. NES/Famicom (220)

8. NEC PC-9801 (205)

9. PC (Windows 95/98) (180)

10. TG-16/PC Engine (152)

Many games, many systems, but it's Tomb Raider II on the PlayStation that jumps and shimmies its way to the top this week, though Kaboom holds on to its #1 pre-NES crown.

This week also marks the first appearance of the PC-6001 platform, and sees nice chart placements from the less-often-seen Vectrex and Apple II.

No new entries in the 1000-minute club, but some shake-ups in the Top 10 all-time list are brewing...
  • Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Double Dunk - 5 minutes

Mario Bros. - 35 minutes

Missile Command - 46 minutes

Pac-Man - 40 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Fat Axl - 25 minutes

Mario Bros. - 145 minutes

Pole Position II - 21 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK (to let Karokoenig and other members know):

post-24681-0-58667700-1479060617_thumb.jpg

It's Double Dunk cartridge which I received and played just to test on my Atari 7800 Console. Scores didn't matter for this session.

• Like 5

odyssey 2:

1. Happy Bird! - 66 min

Colecovision:

1. A.E. - 50 min

2. Armageddon - 40 min

3. Centipede - 34 min

4. Chack N` Pop - 38 min

5. Digger - 80 min

6. Meteoric shower - 75 min

7. Threshold - 63 min

Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega:

1. Shuttlebug! - 28 min

2. Shoot Redux - 40 min

3. Shoot-Out - 31 min

4. Slubberdegullion - 63 min

• Like 6

Acorn Electron:

Bird Strike - 128 min.

Felix and the Fruit Monsters - 5 min.

Micro Pinball - 22 min.

Unfortunately I didn't bring out every system I've got this week. Instead I stuck with a single one, and most importantly I got stuck in 1914 and World War 1. I understand why Karokoenig spends so much time with games that take place in that time period, they can be quite challenging. Bird Strike is a game that as far as I know is unique to the Electron and BBC Micro, and consists of the element where you have a tank at the ground, trying to wound attacking airplanes without damaging them. When you hit the wing, a pigeon appears flying across the screen. By shooting the pigeon, a music note appears on the top of the screen. Apart from a limited number of lives, you also have a limited number of attacking airplanes, meaning that if you kill all airplanes the level ends. If however you manage to shoot enough pigeons to fill the music staff, a tune plays and you get more bonus points than you would've gotten for killing all the airplanes. So it becomes a struggle between defending yourself from the airplanes, and to save enough of them to hit the wing and get pigeons to kill.

It is possible that a similar game has been made available elsewhere, but this time around Bird Strike was enough to have me play it for a bit over two hours non-stop.

• Like 5

Sega Mega Drive

Chuck Rock II: 20 min

Pier Solar: 55 min

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 87 min

So I finally gave in and bought myself a copy of Pier Solar off ebay. I heard a lot of good things about it and was tempted to grab a copy several times before. It was still sealed (it isn't anymore, of course). It surely is a beautiful game. I am determined to try and play through. Let's hope I can do it. Normally, JRPGs aren't my cup of tea.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (November 7th through 13th)...

Arcade:

Flicky - 213 min.

Space Invaders Part II - 3 min.

This week I rediscovered the game "Flicky" which I played in the arcade back in 1982 (or was it 1983 or 1984? Anyway...)

Without any cheating, I got to Level 10, but then I put the DIP switches to Infinite Lives and played until Round 51. The rounds repeat from Round 49 on, but at a harder difficulty.

I also did a quick round of Space Invaders Part II, but didn't manage to clear the 2nd level, and until that point it's not very different to the original Space Invaders. I still wonder what was the name of the Space Invaders variant I saw in the arcade back in 1980... it had color as far as I remember, and a unique bonus round which had multiple saucers at once on screen. The scoring was in hundreds instead of tens (so everything was worth 10 times the points of the original Space Invaders), and the game ended at 999,900 points, which I saw some players achieve. I think it was called Deluxe Space Invaders, but I'm not sure about that.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Genesis:
Chess - 5 min.
Miniplanets - 4 min.
Nobunaga's Ambition - 3 min.
Game Boy:
Super Scrabble - 94 min.
WildSnake - 12 min.
Sega Saturn:
Battle Monsters - 41 min.
Ghen War - 499 min.
Iron Storm - 34 min.
Virtual Open Tennis - 98 min.
Nintendo 64:
AirBoarder 64 - 13 min.
Mario Tennis - 323 min.
Supercross 2000 - 20 min.
Taz Express - 38 min.
Toward the start of the week I beat Super Scrabble on the highest difficulty, though I had to use the manual dictionary override to get it to approve a few relatively common words (can't remember what they were, but I think one was either CRASSLY or CROSSLY). Next I got the urge to play some more Sega Saturn, and ended up beating Virtual Open Tennis rather trivially.
With that done -- my first beaten Saturn game ever, BTW -- I turned to the mech game/FPS Ghen War and played through the game on Inept dificulty, which only gives you half of the levels. Unfortunately the game doesn't really have a save function per se, but more of a suspend function that only allows you to resume a game in progress, not make multiple attempts from the same save file. Since the next difficulty level, Intense, is quite punishing, I'm not sure if I have it in me to take this one on, unless I cheat a bit by backing up my saved game to a RAM cart. (And I can't even contemplate the highest difficulty level, Insane...)
After that I experimented with Iron Storm, though I don't really know what the hell I'm doing (and the manual isn't great), and then beat Battle Monsters on the easiest difficulty.
Finally I busted out the Nintendo 64, and my EverDrive for the system. I tried playing Supercross 2000 but, to my surprise, it gave me motion sickness after 10-15 minutes. Continuing to play after that was a stupid idea and left me feeling ill for a while.
Then I tried the PAL-exclusive games Taz Express and, later, AirBoarder 64, both of which are only really playable on a NTSC system if you have just the right ROM (a proto in the case of Taz, and a hacked ROM in the case of AirBoarder 64). Both are mediocre.
But I spent the most time on Mario Tennis, and ultimately beat the game with Yoshi. That is, I won all three cups (which gave me end credits and a "Congratulations" message), cleared the Piranha Challenge with 50 clean winners, and successfully completed every Ring Shot event. I also won exhibition matches against Mario on Easy, Normal, and Hard difficulties (but not Intense difficulty -- there's that name again!), and won Bowser Stage matches against Mario on Easy and maybe Normal (I can't remember).
However there are apparently tons of things to unlock in the game, including a challenging new set of cups (tournaments) that can only be unlocked if you beat the regular game with every character. Now, I like to try for 100% when it's reasonable, but that's really a bit much. If I lived with siblings or roommates and we could collaborate on it, maybe, but as a solo project? I don't think I can be bothered.
  • Like 6

I've been in a Playstation mode. Playing on PS2 w/component cables, though.

Tomb Raider - beat it again. Really enjoyed it. Easier and Shorter than I thought back in the day. Still a lengthy game. 12 hours?

Tomb Raider II - so I started to also play this one. I only played this through 1 time before, back when it was new. Amazing how much I don't remember. I didn't like the Venice stages so I toughed through those finally. That Opera House, ugh. Now I'm at the bottom of the sea in the sunken ship/caves. Trying to find air while keeping ahead of the great white shark was terrifying! 5 hours.

Road Rash - I kind of love this game, but I can't place well and keep wrecking and getting busted by the cops in level 3. The interface is slow and sucky, but the game is pretty awesome. 3 hours.

Midway's Classics 2 - I played Joust 2 5 minutes, Tapper 10 minutes.

• Like 6

As I had imagined last week, the gaming time in my household this week was largely determined by my medical situation; though not in quite the way I expected.

oBzp77P.jpg

Ineligible

The Pinball of the Dead (Game Boy Advance) - 179 minutes

Arcade

Centipede (played on Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 for PlayStation) - 31 minutes

Defender (played on Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits for Game Boy Advance) - 6 minutes

Frogger (played on Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced for Game Boy Advance) - 15 minutes

Robotron 2084 (played on Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits for Game Boy Advance) - 5 minutes

Scramble (played on Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced for Game Boy Advance) - 24 minutes

Super Breakout (played on Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 for PlayStation) - 36 minutes

Tempest (played on Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits: The Atari Collection 1 for PlayStation) - 5 minutes

Yie Ar Kung-Fu (played on Konami Collector's Series: Arcade Advanced for Game Boy Advance) - 79 minutes

PC-DOS

Wolfenstein 3D (played on Wolfenstein 3D for Game Boy Advance) - 221 minutes

PlayStation

Tomb Raider II - 606 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,207 minutes (20 hours 7 minutes) [1,028 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
PlayStation: 606 minutes

PC-DOS: 221 minutes

Arcade: 201 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 179 minutes

As I mentioned towards the end of my post last week, this week I was planning on having some pretty major dental surgery done to have 14 teeth extracted on Tuesday. In spite of my best intentions, when the time came to finally get it done my lifelong phobia of dentists got the better of me and I ended up having a really bad anxiety attack when I got to the hospital; resulting in me leaving without getting the surgery done. It was a decision I would quickly come to regret over the next few days, as a calamity of errors made my dental situation go from bad to way way worse. The short version of the story is that since I didn't get the surgery done my dentist prescribed some antibiotics called Flagyl for me to take to get rid of the tooth infection that had been bothering me so much, but after 3 days on the antibiotics I ended up being so sick that I had to be taken to the emergency room by ambulance. The antibiotics did a real number on my kidneys and caused all sorts of other nasty problems that I won't get into here, but suffice it to say that I was wasn't able to eat anything at all for over 48 hours and was stuck in the hospital on IV fluids and anti-nausea medication for just as long.

I'm out of the hospital and feeling quite a bit better now (though solid food is still proving a challenge for my stomach), but the course of this week's events definitely made me wish that I would gotten my phobia of dentists under control and gotten the surgery done; because not doing it ended up having a vastly worse outcome. Getting back to the topic of this thread, as you might well expect all of this medical stuff had a pretty profound effect on my ability to play games this week. I ended up logging all of my gaming time for the week on my trusty Game Boy Advance SP, playing some "comfort food games" to help pass the time while laid out in bed. The Pinball of the Dead is a longstanding favorite of mine, and though I've never managed to beat any of the three tables on it I did come darn close once this week when I got to the final boss on one table for the very first time. The rest of my gaming time for the week was taken up by playing some wonderful arcade ports on the GBA and continuing my play through of the original PC-DOS version of Wolfenstein 3D that was ported perfectly to the GBA as well. At this point I'm on the third chapter of the game, playing on the normal "Bring Em On!" difficulty, and it might be quite a while before I finish it; since there are six chapters in all. I don't think I've ever actually made it past the fourth chapter, but I do plan to keep trying until I beat them all this time.

As far as the misses' gaming time this week goes, with me sick in bed most of the week she had plenty of time to keep herself occupied with Tomb Raider II on the PlayStation (I think she's in the catacombs below the Tibetan monastery at this point) and to try out a new addition to her PlayStation collection that arrived in the mail this week. She scored a new in box Nyko Classic Trackball off Amazon and quickly put it to good use as soon as it arrived, playing some Centipede, Super Breakout, and Tempest on the Atari Collection 1 compilation. She did have to lower the trackball sensitivity a bit through the in game menus to get it working smoothly in Centipede and Tempest, but once the settings were tweaked it worked really well and provides true analog trackball control for all games that support the PlayStation Mouse peripheral. I got the chance to fiddle around with it for a few minutes myself and I have to say that it's a really solid and well made piece of hardware, which isn't surprising considering that Nyko recruited Dan Kramer (the man who designed and engineered the Atari 2600 and 5200 trackballs) to help them build it. The only complaint I could really make about it is that the cord was a bit short, but I suppose that's to be expected for a controller coming from the Atari school of design. :lol:

Looking ahead to next week, I think it's pretty safe to say that my wife will be continuing her play through of Tomb Raider II and I'll still be working on Wolfenstein 3D, but beyond that who knows what I'll end up playing. Maybe I'll get back to playing some Atari 2600 or 7800 games, since I should at least post something for this week's Atari 7800 High Score Club and there's rarely a bad day to play Atari. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Super NES:

ActRaiser - 60 minutes

ActRaiser II - 20 minutes

Breath of Fire - 30 minutes

Chrono Trigger - 15 minutes

DOOM - 20 minutes

Drakhen - 20 minutes

Final Fantasy II - 20 minutes

Final Fantasy III - 20 minutes

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - 20 minutes

Illusion of Gaia - 20 minutes

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals - 20 minutes

Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals - 30 minutes

Mega Man X - 20 minutes

Paladin's Quest - 20 minutes

Pilotwings - 20 minutes

Rock 'n Roll Racing - 10 minutes

Romancing SaGa - 30 minutes

Romancing SaGa II - 30 minutes

Romancing SaGa III - 30 minutes

Secret of Mana - 60 minutes

Soul Blazer - 20 minutes

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 20 minutes

Terranigma - 60 minutes

Ys III: Wanders From Ys - 90 minutes

Just a lot of SNES RPGs with a couple other SNES games mixed in from me this week. I didn't go through a ton of the collection as I was a little burnt out on pulling games, but I did end up dedicating to a system anyways.

Not much to really note here - you may be into SNES RPG collecting or whatever, and yeah I was a few years back, but now with prices where they are I kinda just lost all interest in the games and don't really do much with them. They're all solid, but apart from the ActRaiser series I just don't get as much out of them as I used to.

All time in gaming that wasn't on any of these was Elite: Dangerous as some friends and I decided to take a trip to Sagittarius A* which is ~26,000 light years so a lot of travel in game to get there and back. So yeah, that's all - no crazy wall of text, I really don't want to write it and I didn't play enough to push myself to do it, but at least I got something in.

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 46, running from November 7 - 13. We logged 6189 minutes of eligible play, playing 84 games on a total of 15 systems.

Top 10:

1. Tomb Raider II (PlayStation) - 906

2. Tomb Raider (PlayStation) - 720

3. Ghen War (Sega Saturn) - 499

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 488

5. Mario Tennis (N64) - 323

6. Wolfenstein 3D (PC (DOS)) - 221

7. Flicky (Arcade) - 213

8. Road Rash (PlayStation) - 180

9. Mario Bros. (Atari 7800) - 145

10. Bird Strike (Acorn Electron) - 128

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 488

2. Flicky (Arcade) - 213

3. Mario Bros. (Atari 7800) - 145

4. Bird Strike (Acorn Electron) - 128

5. Digger (ColecoVision) - 80

6. Yie Ar Kung Fu (Arcade) - 79

7. Meteoric Shower (ColecoVision) - 75

8. Happy Bird! (Odyssey^2) - 66

9. Threshold (ColecoVision) - 63

9. Slubberdegullion (Sinclair ZX Spectrum) - 63

Top 10 systems:

1. PlayStation (1806)

2. SNES (705)

3. Sega Saturn (672)

4. Atari 2600 (614)

5. Arcade (503)

6. N64 (394)

7. ColecoVision (390)

8. PC (DOS) (308)

9. Atari 7800 (191)

10. Sinclair ZX Spectrum (162)

Why, hello there, Tomb Raider II! And Tomb Raider I, for that matter. Between the two they forge a runaway victory for the franchise and for the PlayStation, though Kaboom once again takes the pre-NES crown.

Also note that the SNES managed to get the #2 spot on the system charts without having a single game in the Top 10!

Meanwhile Wolfenstein 3D slips into the 1000-minute club, garnering spot #241 with 1046 minutes logged to date.

• Like 6

6189 is definitely a strong total, and would have qualified for the Top 10 until recently, but our big numbers of last year put it below the threshold for the Top 10. As far as I know, these are our all-time biggest weeks:

1. 2015, Week 35 (13011)
2. 2015, Week 31 (10282)
3. 2015, Week 43 (10140)
4. 2016, Week 6 (10079)
5. 2015, Week 50 (8763)
6. 2015, Week 32 (8301)
7. 2015, Week 52 (8205)
8. 2015, Week 41 (7918)
9. 2015, Week 38 (7731)
10. 2015, Week 48 (7651)

#4 is a funny one since it involved times from multiple weeks getting added together, but it still counts.

In any event, the minimum for Top 10 status is now 7651 minutes. Compare what our Top 10 was less than 16 months ago:

All-time Top 10 weeks of July 27, 2015:
1. 2015, Week 30 (7262)
2. 2010, Week 6 (7157)
3. 2012, Week 18 (6762)
4. 2015, Week 29 (6610)
5. 2010, Week 8 (6473)
6. 2012, Week 1 (6451)
7. 2010, Week 5 (6230)
8. 2010, Week 10 (6198)
9. 2015, Week 28 (5901)
10. 2014, Week 27 (5780)
Astonishingly, every single one of these times -- some of which were records that stood for over 5 years -- has been superseded!
  • Like 5