IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2016 (Season 9)

It was an excellent week for gaming around here this week, as my household welcomed in the newest console addition to our retro gaming center: An Atari 7800 ProSystem! :D

hVwWckp.jpg

Ineligible

The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 31 minutes

Atari 2600

Crossbow - 40 minutes

D.K. VCS - 14 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 13 minutes

The Official Frogger (Starpath Supercharger) - 15 minutes

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns - 26 minutes

Space Rocks - 18 minutes

Venture - 11 minutes

Atari 7800
Asteroids - 37 minutes

Centipede - 70 minutes

Crossbow - 41 minutes

Donkey Kong - 174 minutes

Food Fight - 14 minutes

Galaga - 22 minutes

Hat Trick - 9 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 50 minutes

Pole Position II - 46 minutes

Robotron 2084 - 10 minutes

Scramble (emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 73 minutes

Xevious - 93 minutes

PlayStation

Tomb Raider III - 253 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,060 minutes (17 hours 40 minutes) [1,029 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Atari 7800: 639 minutes
PlayStation: 253 minutes
Atari 2600: 137 minutes
Android: 31 minutes

While the total amount of time spent gaming this week was a little less than usual (due to an unfortunate bout of food poisoning mid-week) the amount of gaming fun had around here was even more than usual, with a brand new condition composite video modified Atari 7800 ProSystem arriving in the mail from Video61 and a whole slew of Atari 7800 cartridges from AtariAge members HoshiChiri and GoldLeader to start off our collection with. Every game aside from Hat Trick was wonderful fun—though Hat Trick wasn't all that bad, at least not as much as I was expecting—but the misses and I did both had our favorites of the bunch.

For me Centipede and Xevious were by far the favorites of the week, since I spent a lot of time in my younger days playing Xevious on the NES and now that I've tried the Atari 7800 version I like it even better! And Centipede, well, you can never go wrong with any version of that game and I think the Atari 7800 port might be my new favorite version outside of the arcade original. The Atari 7800 port of Centipede is honestly the only game I've ever played that I think actually controls better with a CX-80 trackball in joystick mode than it does a standard joystick or joypad. I've tried the 2600 versions of Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Crystal Castles, and Reactor with the trackball and they all feel rather sluggish in the control department, but the 7800 version of Centipede actually controls very closely to the way a real analog trackball game does when using the CX-80 in joystick mode. It was a really delightful and somewhat amazing surprise, and it gave me the definite impression that Atari programmed the 7800 version of Centipede with the CX-80 trackball in mind; since it controls so much better with it than any of their previous games who's arcade versions were played with a trackball.

As far as the misses' Atari 7800 favorites go, she got in a ton of Donkey Kong and quickly declared it her favorite home console version of the game thus far. She liked it quite a bit better than the NES or ColecoVision versions and touted it as the most arcade accurate home console conversion of Donkey Kong that she has played. Along with Donkey Kong she also spent a fair bit of time with Ms. Pac-Man, tried out Food Fight for the first time (which she also enjoyed), and we had a real blast playing Crossbow together until we had both beaten the game. She was looking forward to trying out Asteroids as well, but sadly that one seems to be weirdly incompatible with her Sega Genesis arcade stick so she's just going to have to wait until a certain Christmas present of hers arrives in the mail next week to give it a play.

Aside from all the Atari 7800 goodness there was a little other gaming done around here this week. I played a some of Pinball Arcade on my Android tablet here and there while I was laid out in bed with the aforementioned food poisoning on Thursday, the misses kept herself occupied with Tomb Raider III, and once I was feeling back to normal again we both spent some time parked in front of the entertainment center together playing Atari 2600. I went with my old standby video game comfort food of Pitfall II: Lost Caverns and Venture, the little lady enjoyed some of her favorite Atari 2600 homebrews and the Starpath Supercharger version of Frogger, then we did some 2 player Crossbow on the 2600 until we had beaten that version as well.

All in all it was a pretty darn good week for gaming around here! The composite modified Atari 7800 system from Video61 arrived in perfect brand new condition as promised, has really outstanding picture and audio quality, and just works wonderfully in every regard. It was fantastic finally getting to play Atari 7800 games on real hardware, and I imagine that there will be much more of that in store next week as well. Christmas is coming up next week after all, and I have it on good authority that there just might be some Atari 7800 related items hiding under the tree this year.

Until next week, happy holidays to you and yours! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 51, running from December 12 - 18. We logged 2038 minutes of eligible play, playing 44 games on a total of 11 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 267

2. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 253

3. Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600) - 193

4. Donkey Kong (Atari 7800) - 174

5. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 117

6. Xevious (Atari 7800) - 93

7. Scramble (Atari 7800) - 73

8. Centipede (Atari 7800) - 70

9. Junkwall (ColecoVision) - 60

10. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 50

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 267

2. Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600) - 193

3. Donkey Kong (Atari 7800) - 174

4. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 117

5. Xevious (Atari 7800) - 93

6. Scramble (Atari 7800) - 73

7. Centipede (Atari 7800) - 70

8. Junkwall (ColecoVision) - 60

9. Ms. Pac-Man (Atari 7800) - 50

10. Turtles (Emerson Arcadia 2001) - 49

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (773)

2. Atari 7800 (641)

3. PlayStation (253)

4. C64 (122)

5. ColecoVision (80)

6. Emerson Arcadia 2001 (49)

7. Game Boy (42)

8. Atari 5200 (35)

9. PC (DOS) (30)

10. RCA Studio II (10)

Remember how, when we added later consoles to the tracker, doom for the pre-NES gang was prophesied by some? Well, this week's Top 10 gives the lie to that apocalyptic prediction and parties like it's 1983, with only one post-crash platform contributing a game.

Admittedly, that game (Tomb Raider III) is #2, but our perennial #1 is tops once again, as Kaboom edges out the win by a slim margin, with both games moving up a spot from last week.

No new members in the 1000-minute club, but one's on the edge -- while some interesting action is still brewing amongst the Top 5...albeit very, very slowly...
  • Like 6

Sinclair ZX Spectrum:

1. Space Warrior - 20 min

2. Space Raiders - 35 min

3. S.O.S Rescue - 15 min

4. Sophistry - 22 min

5. Snoball in Hell - 65 min

6. Snare! - 20 min

7. Snake-Byte - 26 min

8. Snake - 32 min

Atari Jaguar:

1. Rebooteroids - 75 min

2. Xenon 2 - 52 min

Colecovision:

1. Bosconian - 55 min

2. Junkwall - 45 min

3. Penquin Adventure - 30 min

4. Gradius - 70 min

5. Knight N More - 50 min

6. Centipede - 35 min

Intellivision:

1. Go Sub - 20 min

2. Christmas Carol vs. The Ghost Of Christmas Presents - 425 min

3. Ms. Pacman - 45 min

Odyssey 2:

1. Nice Ice! - 48 min

• Like 6

MSX2:

Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead - 1172 minutes

No surprise what's hitting the 1000 minute club.

The game is interesting - I always credited Sweet Home with being one of the first games to pioneer the survival horror genre (of course there are earlier ones) and this comes from '87, two years before then. The studio that made it, Fun Project, I have no idea about apart from this series so don't ask me - ask google instead. Basically the plot comes down to "You're a chick who is part of some US Army team of paranormal stuff and you have to investigate a small town after they lose all their communications and a bunch of Marines are lost." You get railroaded through a bit, find a raft, sail around the town, and then get confused if you're even making progress.

To start off, well, I have some real gripes with this. First is the thing I hate in stuff like VNs where you have to keep asking people the same questions over and over and over, and after asking the stuff the right amount of times they'll have an "oh yeah that important info was stuck in the back of my head, I should probably say it" moment and then say it to you... I probably took a whole hour trying to figure crap out until I realized the game was like that. The next big issue is random encounters. Basically instead of steps to determine battles, it's all game time.There's only one safe spot which is in the opening, a church, and I died a few times by not remembering that. I walked off to get a sandwich at one point and came back to being dead, stuff like that got annoying and I got a segment where I constantly had random battle after random battle six times until I just gave up and let myself die. Third, you have just about no weaponry that's worth it for a while. You have fists (a bit shit), a knife (better but "eh" at best) and a gun. The gun is obviously the biggest weapon you start with, so you end up eating your ammo like candy in the first five encounters (oh did I mention random encounters aren't all that skill or health-based? Yeah you get screwed by hard stuff super fast) and then you're stuck with throwing your own shit at them - it's probably more effective - or dying for all I care.

Really though, there are good bits. The story while a bit generic (reminds me of The Mist kinda) was pretty alright, and there's a good few NPCs you have to interact with in the town. Alongside NPCs that are living there are dead NPCs that offer some stuff here and there, and I though "Oh that's cool" becuase Sweet Home had those dead/dying people which would say some fairly crude yet sometimes useful things to you. The music department isn't front-and-center by any means but hey, for atmosphere they had some good stuff so I was happy with that. The time system is neat, you have a full day and night cycle and stuff like sleep which goes with that which is kinda cool. You can also regain health through rest (up to 9 hours) but it's really crap all and the biggest reason I used it was to try and avoid getting attacked.

Well, overall, it was a fun RPG. I know I have the 2nd game and the PC Engine ports, so alongside those I've already determined games for next week - Project Firestart for the C64 and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream for the PC - since I'm going through old horror games.

For other stuff I did... well, I played a lot of CS:GO with my friends. Everyone likes CS:GO, right? Yeah. One friend ended up throwing me a knife skin which ran him like $30 or so as he wanted to upgrade to a $100 karambit and for being a good friend to 'em, so I think that's really nice of 'em to do - I'm throwing $100 of gun skins out to people as I like to give something back to the people who I'm friends with, but I didn't expect this and he could have just sold the thing instead anyways. Work was a mess due to the holiday rush, y'know'at I'm sayin'? so I had to help out a lot there. Also, I got a ARP/Korg Odyssey through selling a chunk of my dupes off so I spent good time learning that... man those are cool - an ARP 2600 would be cooler to own but hell, the Odyssey is a beast for the sub-$1000 price.

oh yeah,

merry christmas

i should probably say that.

Alright, that's all from me. Have fun.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 5

Atari 2600

Barnstorming: 3 min

Fox & Pig ("Oink" clone): 5 min

Atari 7800

Ace of Aces: 7 min

Karateka: 5 min

Super Huey: 6 min

NES

Silent Service: 10 min

Time Lord: 15 min

A bit of testing time, nothing more. Noteworthy among the games I played is Silent Service for the NES. It was among the gifts sent to me over the pond by my AtariAge Secret Santa. Complete in box, which is highly appreciated. So yeah... even though I didn't come round to keep going in Silent Hunter, I did get some underwater playtime on its older cousin. I have huge nostalgia for the C64 version of Silent Service, and the NES one is similar. Thanks Secret Santa!

• Like 5

Here are my times for this week (December 19th through 25th)...

Facebook (non-eligible):

Solitaire Racer - 10 min.

Sorry, no classic games this week... This week was very busy with all the Christmas preparations and celebrations and also another eye examination, so I only got in two quick rounds of Solitaire Racer. I learned that the NeuCoin, a cryptocurrency which you get for winning games in this one, has fallen dramatically in value when the foundation supporting it broke up in November, so I actually played in order to see if something about the NeuCoin distribution has changed... it hasn't, they are only now worth much less.

Although, every time I hear "Last Christmas", I get reminded of the old Atari days... this song was released in 1984 when I still played the Atari 2600 before I got the Commodore 64 for Christmas. I especially remember the game "Joust" associated with this one, because although I didn't have that game myself, I borrowed it from a classmate around Christmas 1984.

• Like 4

Finally got some Retro gaming in this week.

Picked up the Atari Flashback Portable and it's actually a pretty decent system.

Blinky Goes Up - 105min

Breakout - 5min

Centipede - 15min

Dark Chambers - 30min

Dig Dug Arcade - 15min

Frogger II - 5min

Missile Command - 20min

Montezuma's Revenge - 10min

Mr. Do's Castle - 10min

Pacman 8k - 120min

Ping - 10min

Princess Rescue - 10min

Seaquest - 5min

Wall Jump Ninja - 95min

Then I got my RetroPie setup back up and running after stealing the SD card from it a while back, and got a bunch more gaming in :)

Dark Chambers - 20min

Gameboy Color

Duke Nukem - 35min

Genesis

Bomb on Pixel City - 25min

Fix It Felix Jr. - 5min

Flashback - 5min

Papi Commando - 10min

Project MD - 10min

Sonic 3 - 20min

Toe Jam & Earl - 125min

PC Engine

Santatlantean - 85min

Sega 32x

Stellar Assault - 15min

Might get more gaming in but wanted to post before I forget lol

• Like 6

My times for the week:

Vectrex:

Art Master - 15 min.

Mine Storm - 15 min.

Rip Off - 12 min.

Space Wars - 18 min.

NES:

Urusei Yatsura: Lum no Wedding Bell - 10 min.

Game Boy:

Super Mario Land - 1 min.

Top Rank Tennis - 60 min.

SNES:

WarpSpeed - 200 min.

Sega CD:

Daihoushinden - 12 min.

Beat WarpSpeed on Campaign mode (which I've done before), won a key match in Top Rank Tennis, and played some Vectrex with my family.

• Like 6

Back home for the holidays and I just upgraded my mom's iMac to El Capitan and was able to try OpenEmu for the first time. It's good, but still missing quite a few features and also a bit crashy. Still feels like a beta. Anyhoo, I was finally able to play some 7800 and O2 for the first time in my life, so that's a definite plus. Spent most of my time trying to set it up at first and then was a bit tired to play much, but hopefully I'll get in more playing time on these systems this week.

Odyssey2

K.C. Munchkin (10 min)

Ninja Golf (10 min)

Sega Master System

Choplifter (15 min)

Ghouls'n Ghosts (10 min)

NES

Mega Man 2 (20 min)

• Like 5

Wrapping up one of the last weeks of the year, my household logged some of the most video game play time we've had all year this past week. :)

d0XiC29.jpg

Arcade
Asteroids (played on Midway Presents: Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 1 for PlayStation) - 7 minutes
Centipede (played on Midway Presents: Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 1 for PlayStation) - 23 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man (played on Namco Museum Vol. 3 for PlayStation) - 17 minutes
Pole Position II (played on Namco Museum Vol. 3 for PlayStation) - 15 minutes

Atari 2600
Space Rocks - 21 minutes

Atari 7800
Asteroids - 44 minutes
Centipede - 54 minutes
Donkey Kong - 35 minutes
Donkey Kong Junior - 45 minutes
Donkey Kong XM Demo (emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 11 minutes
Food Fight - 30 minutes
Galaga - 28 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man - 68 minutes
Pac-Man Collection! - 176 minutes
Pole Position II - 23 minutes
Robotron 2084 - 313 minutes
Xevious - 74 minutes

Atari 800XL Computer (emulated on Nintendo Wii)
Donkey Kong - 19 minutes
Donkey Kong Junior - 3 minutes
Millipede - 14 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man - 3 minutes
Pac-Man - 8 minutes

NES (emulated on Nintendo Wii)
Donkey Kong - 17 minutes
Donkey Kong Junior - 21 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen version) - 5 minutes
Pac-Man - 8 minutes
Xevious - 18 minutes

PlayStation
Tomb Raider III - 802 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,902 minutes (31 hours 42 minutes) [1,902 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Atari 7800: 901 minutes
PlayStation: 802 minutes
NES: 69 minutes
Arcade: 62 minutes
Atari 800XL Computer: 47 minutes
Atari 2600: 21 minutes

As you can see it was a pretty big week for not only the PlayStation (thanks to my wife's ongoing quest to beat Tomb Raider III before the end of the year) but also for the Atari 7800, due in no small part to a very big Atari 7800 controller that we received in the mail from Edladdin this week. You can find more pictures of that lovely beast in the spoiler tag below:

The controller unplugged:

W3baJfZ.jpg

And now plugged in with the system powered on:

8nRo5wx.jpg

That beautiful side artwork:

ULArdJ3.jpg

And the very nice stamped metal plaque on the back, showing that our Super Twin 78 is #26. :)

YeXLsZM.jpg

With the new controller to try out, as well as the copy of Pac-Man Collection from the AtariAge store that I gave the misses for Christmas, we logged a ton of time on the 7800 this past week. For the misses it was mostly spent exploring the wide variety of games in Pac-Man Collection and playing a good bit of Robotron 2084, and I just played a big assortment of my favorite 7800 games with it. I did get in some Robotron time as well, and frankly it was a lot more time than I ever planned on or wanted to spend playing Robotron 2084. What I mean by that is that I discovered that when playing with Edladdin's Super Twin 78 on Intermediate difficulty I could actually gain lives faster than the game could make me lose them, which resulted in me playing a 3 and a half hour long marathon session of Robotron 2084 until I eventually

. It was fun for about the first 6,000,000 points, but the last 2 hours or so that took me from there up to 10,000,000 was definitely the most psychologically exhausting and just plain grueling video gaming experience that I've ever had. By the time I rolled the score I didn't even feel tired anymore, I just felt kinda numb and glad that it was finally over. After that I don't think I want to play Robotron 2084 again for a very long time, and I sure as heck don't want to try doing any high score runs in other games that would take more than 45 minutes or so to complete. I do feel happy to have accomplished the feat of rolling the score in Robotron, but I never want to do anything like that ever again. :lol:

Speaking of regrettable decisions, I've been really questioning over the last week or so whether spending an utterly absurd amount of money starting an Atari 7800 collection was a good idea or not; mainly because I did have some other (and what I felt were very good) plans for the $600 or so that I've spent on the Atari 7800 over the last few months. You can read more about that whole situation here, but suffice it to say that my household's entire Atari 7800 collection may be going up for sale in the Marketplace at some point early next year. The whole question of whether or not to sell our Atari 7800 collection is actually what led to all the time logged for the NES and the PlayStation ports of various arcade games this week, in an effort to determine whether or not the 7800 would be missed when we can play the original arcade or NES versions of most of the games that the misses and I like on other systems. The jury is still out at this point, but strongly leaning towards "Meh, we could live without it."

I know that's not the most positive note to end this week's post on though, so I will say that I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday celebration this year and had lots of fun with your friends and family! It's been a great year for gaming in the Tracker this year and I can only imagine that 2017 will be even better! Especially if thegoldenband might be able to be persuaded to start including systems from up to 2001 or so next year, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that. Until then, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

Asteroids 116 New Game 12 Best 52,880
Secret Quest 4
Star Wars Arcade 7
Tapper 6

Basketbrawl 4
Donkey Kong Jr. 16
Midnight Mutants 4
Ninja Golf 23
Scrapyard Dog 10
Summer Games 3

Edit - I splurged on myself and bought some uncommon cartridges. I'd waited a long time to track some of these down and finally got a deal that I could live with. Time above is really just for testing. Also continued with Asteroids on the Flashback Portable.

• Like 6

Here's the summary for Week 52, running from December 19 - 25. We logged 6155 minutes of eligible play, playing 114 games on a total of 22 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead (MSX2) - 1172

2. Tomb Raider III (PlayStation) - 802

3. Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents (Intellivision) - 425

4. Robotron: 2084 (Atari 7800) - 313

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 206

6. WarpSpeed (SNES) - 200

7. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 176

8. Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600) - 134

9. ToeJam & Earl (Genesis) - 125

10. Pac-Man 8K (Atari 2600) - 120

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents (Intellivision) - 425

2. Robotron: 2084 (Atari 7800) - 313

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 206

4. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 176

5. Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (Atari 2600) - 134

6. Pac-Man 8K (Atari 2600) - 120

7. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 116

8. Blinky Goes Up (Atari 2600) - 105

9. Wall Jump Ninja (Atari 2600) - 95

10. Xevious (Atari 7800) - 74

Top 10 systems:

1. MSX2 (1172)

2. Atari 7800 (1009)

3. Atari 2600 (1000)

4. PlayStation (802)

5. Intellivision (490)

6. ColecoVision (285)

7. Sinclair ZX Spectrum (235)

8. Genesis (200)

9. SNES (200)

10. Atari Jaguar (127)

Tomb Raider III may stay at #2, but -- in a much bigger week than last week -- it's the MSX2 that comes out of nowhere and grabs the #1 spot with Shiryou Sensen, while holiday favorite Christmas Carol takes the pre-NES laurels.

Shiryou Sensen obviously hops straight into the 1000-minute club at spot #247, while the Atari 7800 port of Donkey Kong makes it 248, with 1025 minutes logged to date.

NOTE: We'll have a shortened six-day week to conclude 2016 (followed by a Beatles-style eight-day week to start 2017), so be sure to post those Monday-Saturday times (from 12/26-12/31) before Sunday evening!

• Like 6

Free time for me. Time to produce gameplay times above detection limit :). See below.

Sega Mega Drive

Jewel Master: 7 min

The Flintstones: 22 min

Jewel Master is junk. The Flintstones is a very good-looking game, but pretty hard. Only one continue. I made it to the boss of level 2...

PC (DOS)

Historyline 1914-18: 160 min

Silent Hunter: 221 min

Well, it is done. I have now officially beaten Historyline 1914-18. Read about my thoughts on the game here. Both sides, the complete Great War. 48 maps. Please tell me how much time it took me overall.

March 1945 in Silent Hunter. Noteworthy: I managed to sink an Ise class Carrier Battleship. Not anchored in some harbour, but out "in the wild", with a screen of 7 destroyers and zigzagging wildly at high speed. Doesn't happen all that often...

Philips G7000

Atlantis: 20 min

Demon Attack: 18 min

#4 (Air-Sea War): 4 min

#6 (Bowling/Basketball): 6 min

#38 (Munchkin): 7 min

#43 (Pickaxe Pete): 10 min

#44 (Crazy Chase): 10 min

#51 (Terrahawks): 5 min

Got a package from a friend of mine (TheShadowsNose - here is his YT channel). In it were three Videopac games he grabbed for me at a Dutch retro convention. Since I didn't want to set up the Videopac just to test three games (it's stored away most of the time), I picked a few more from my collection and gave the old beast a bit of love. I wish I had the room to set it up permanently. I'd definetly play more if I had it readily available.

Edited by karokoenig
  • Like 7

Well, it is done. I have now officially beaten Historyline 1914-18. Read about my thoughts on the game here. Both sides, the complete Great War. 48 maps. Please tell me how much time it took me overall.

7338 minutes -- or if you prefer, 5 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes. That means it comfortably qualifies for our all-time Top 10, though I'll have to check whether it's made the Top 10 of 2016 (I suspect not).

However, another of your games this week has an even more interesting development to report. (And I'm not talking about Jewel Master, which you might consider giving a second chance -- I think it's one of the best action platformers on the Genesis!)

• Like 5