IGNORED

MultiCarts, Repros, Bootlegs Thread

For my Game Boy Color last year I managed to pick up a '2001 New 11 in 1' mult-cart. Each game on the cart is indeed a different title from the rest-

1) Poke'mon Oro (Pokemon Gold in Spanish)

2) Lamborghini

3) WWF Super Star

4) Golden Goal

5) Contra The Alien Wars

6) Flintstones

7) Super Mario 4

8 ) Mickey Mouse

9) Duck Tales

10) Castlevania

11) Pac-Man

As far as I can tell each title is a full, complete game on the cart. It's a very diverse assortment of games, so I absolutely love this multi-cart. :thumbsup:

Edited by Tartfox
  • Like 1

I've really been enjoying at aliexpress over the last 6 months or so.

I haven't played it yet, but I bought fix-it-felix for genesis for ~$5.

I have also played this seller's gba mother fan translations, and the saves seem to hold 100% (a big issue with gba boots)

(mother 3 translated)(mother 1+2 translated)

He even ships them with a save on them to inspire a bit of confidence.

can't really beat the prices there.

Let just talk here about stuff about Repro, MultiCarts & Bootlrg for other sites from the other thread that guy left in July

Like in 2 months span I'm going to get the Mega Man 6 in 1 and the 150 in 1 on the NES, I love MultiCarts even I know I have a Famicom EverDrive N8

I also have the 150-in-1, and a Megaman 6-in-1 on the way. Multicarts are cool but stay away from single game boots.

Because the single game bootlegs could be confused with an authentic rare release by novice collectors or game store employees. With the multi-in-1 carts, there is no mistaking it's lack of authenticity.

While I agree with you, an honest person would not sell as such. The problem lies with the dishonest people who sell them as original. If you buy one that is marked as reproduction then it should not matter. You are not going to stop the dishonest people from making these and sell them as original.

I could counter your argument and say the same thing about multi-carts. Novice collectors or game store employees could think they are original. Lets face it novice collectors probably wouldn't know a multi cart is fake either since it looks just like a nes cart. As far as game store employees many don't care about anything but how much they can sell it for.

• Like 1

Like that Hozer branded Air Raid. Rip the label just a bit and then sell it to some game shop. The may not realize the cart is wrong color or style, they see what looks like official Air Raid cart with nice shiny and partial label and think it's real and pay a few hundred dollars for it.

While we won't knowingly pass single game repro (or counterfeit) as real, what happens if we pass on and the next of kin who claims the game stuff doesn't know the full detail? He or she may think that $50 blue NWC-1990 that was transplanted into gold shell is the real $50,000+ version and sell it as genuine.

• Like 1

I've got no problem with repros. While I would like my repros to look as authentic as possible (since the whole point is that I probably won't ever get the real thing), they should probably have some kind of visible mark or something to indicate it's a repro. Keeps everyone honest.

Bootleg carts can be fun to collect.

I don't typically do XX-in-1 multicarts--a notable exception being my Sean Kelly Multicart for Vectrex--unless they're something really funky, or they're for a system I have only a passing interest in and/or I don't necessarily want to devote funds to collect for (I collect for enough systems already!).

I purposely started making and selling repros with reproduction written on them to try and kill the market of people selling them for $200+ and stop people from buying them unmarked. I was against repros forever then after seeing what people were selling on ebay over and over I just said to hell with it. I seen Little Samson's sell for $250

One auction I seen someone post a Famicom Megaman x3 along with an NTSC shell and replacement label attached to it. So basically the person could just put the famicom mmx3 into a replica ntsc shell.

You can't stop people from being dishonest but you can try to inform the general public about what they are or are not buying today.

Edited by icemanxp300
  • Like 5

There's no point to a dedicated Repro of a production game but to clutter the market. If you cannot afford the real thing, there's Multicarts to play it.

It's either so the reproducer can make a quick buck (off a property that doesn't belong to him) or so someone down the line can pass it off as the real thing.

It's a different story if it was a game that was never released.

There's no point to a dedicated Repro of a production game but to clutter the market. If you cannot afford the real thing, there's Multicarts to play it.

It's either so the reproducer can make a quick buck (off a property that doesn't belong to him) or so someone down the line can pass it off as the real thing.

I disagree. For me being a nes collector for 20+ years now. I like having a wall of games. I like having a cart for every game made. I would rather have a single game repro over a multi-cart any day. I do think any reproduction should be marked as such. I also do not trust the quality of a Chinese made cart.

I was against reproductions but people selling fakes ruined it. In this day and age I wouldn't pay anything for a rare game now. The simple fact the market has been tainted with so many fakes means I am in no way ever going to buy or want an original rare game ever again. It is to the point now where they can make reproductions so good all they need to do is create a stamp for the chips and you would have a very hard time distinguishing original from fake.

With that said I still like having a complete set but I have adapted to the problem at hand and honestly knowing I can make a Little Samson from a $5 game and it be exactly identical to the original except it has new chips and a new label, it actually opened my eyes up on how dumb the cost of these games have gotten.

For me and my collection rare repros are fine. To someone who has money to blow they can fight through the fakes to get their hands on 100% original. Same with factory sealed. I gave up with collecting sealed back about 6 years ago when I got a resealed River City Ransom that was so good it took me an hour to be sure it was re-sealed. The seam was off a bit but it had the h-seam almost perfect.

It is what it is now. You either change your aspect or stay pissed off over it. I stopped being pissed and just adapted.

Edited by icemanxp300
  • Like 4

I disagree. For me being a nes collector for 20+ years now. I like having a wall of games. I like having a cart for every game made. I would rather have a single game repro over a multi-cart any day. I do think any reproduction should be marked as such. I also do not trust the quality of a Chinese made cart.

I was against reproductions but people selling fakes ruined it. In this day and age I wouldn't pay anything for a rare game now. The simple fact the market has been tainted with so many fakes means I am in no way ever going to buy or want an original rare game ever again. It is to the point now where they can make reproductions so good all they need to do is create a stamp for the chips and you would have a very hard time distinguishing original from fake.

With that said I still like having a complete set but I have adapted to the problem at hand and honestly knowing I can make a Little Samson from a $5 game and it be exactly identical to the original except it has new chips and a new label, it actually opened my eyes up on how dumb the cost of these games have gotten.

For me and my collection rare repros are fine. To someone who has money to blow they can fight through the fakes to get their hands on 100% original. Same with factory sealed. I gave up with collecting sealed back about 6 years ago when I got a resealed River City Ransom that was so good it took me an hour to be sure it was re-sealed. The seam was off a bit but it had the h-seam almost perfect.

It is what it is now. You either change your aspect or stay pissed off over it. I stopped being pissed and just adapted.

I mostly agree, I sure as hell would never lose any sleep over a collector getting riled up because other people are getting Little Samson games without spending $500 on them. I want the average gamer to be able to get involved with everything they want to and it's not like the original company is making any cash off it anyways, might as well bootleg it to the moon so people are happy. I do think the cart should say reproduction, of course, but that's only to stop people from outright lying or being confused and ripping someone off. I really couldn't give a shit if a game is original or not, either, because it's all the same shit. If I had to start all over, I'd just have my emulators.

My general opinion is if it pisses off the selfish collector nerds, it's probably a good thing for retro gaming. I just can't in any way sympathize towards anyone getting ripped off buying a, likely shitty, very expensive old game. That's not to say I want it to happen, it's just not high on my list of things to give a shit about. It's just like you said, these collector nerds have to adapt or else just deal with it. That and I'm just not into the collecting/rarity/etc stuff to begin with, I just like to play the games. Honestly, it's hard to watch grown men on Youtube whining about reproduction game carts. It makes this all seem even more childish than it already is perceived to be.I don't want anyone to get ripped off, but hardcore collectors are digging their own grave. They're choosing to make it harder on themselves than it needs to be. Video games are meant to be played and it evolved naturally into a collector based market, but there's a huge difference between being a game collector and having a collection of video games. I've obviously spent way too much on games like everyone else here, but the issue with me and the collector is he's not doing it for the reasons I am, and I will side with a kid buying a Little Samson repro to play on his Retron 5 vs. some dumbass who thinks his dick is bigger because he has Little Samson on NES. I somewhat agree with what someone else said regarding multicarts vs. single game releases, but why should everyone else suffer so the few people with Little Samsons can have a circle jerk? This is supposed to be fun, not a headache. If repros bother someone, they're looking way too hard into this retro gaming shit.

The $5 Little Samson vs. $500 one and sealed RCR example rings so true to me, because I am the same way. The only repro I have is a Halloween/TCM double ender for the 2600 and if I had to have a conversation with someone who thought he was superior because he has the real things, I would look at him like he was insane. No matter how much the retro collectors want to deny it and want to lie to themselves so they feel validated for buying expensive, dumb shit, it just doesn't matter if it's original, flash cart, multicart, an emulator, etc. It's the same thing. The only people who deny this fact are the ones who invested tons of dough into poor games or have the reasoning ability of pencil shavings. So you have a NWC cart and I only have the rom... do you want a cookie? I'm happy that person is stoked at owning it despite it being essentially totally useless, but I'm not a child so it's not impressive to me. It doesn't take any talent to buy stuff and everything is well documented on the internet in terms of scans/roms/footage. If this was 1996 and finding a NES game I'd never even heard of at a flea market and the internet sucked back then, then yeah, it would be worth x amount of dollars to buy a game and check it out. The modern day doesn't require this because of all the easily accessible stuff on the internet. This makes the collecting of the actual physical items rather boring to me when I can just look it up online and fire up a rom. To each their own, but I can't comprehend how a collector would, say, want a manual for a game when they could just look at the actual manual online. At that point, they're collecting for the sake of it rather than necessity.

This.

I used to think NES/Famicom multis were cool over a decade ago, but now with Everdrives and such, I really don't see the point in them or "repros" aka bootlegs. Unless you want to have a massive shelf of games taking up space in your house for some reason, in which case, more power to you I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Today I visited a friend and spotted an Avenger cartridge for the VIC-20. It had an entirely hand drawn label, which I remarkably recognized because I used to own that particular cartridge, sold it to a third party from where my friend now had acquired it! :) It was like saying hello to an old friend that I actually got 22 years ago, with the label already drawn but I've filled in details over time. He also got a Road Race cartridge that I remember I downloaded a layout for, printed in B&W on regular paper and used tape to fasten it to the shell. Not quite repros, more like label replacements but also very easy to spot that they're not genuine.

I wonder if there are TG-16/PC engine cards that are bootleg. Ditto for the Odyssey 2/Videopac g7000. Also, why are there no actively in development PS1 everdrives in the form of special SD-card accepting memory card, or at the very least adding parts for an SD card port on the back without replacing the optical disc drive?