IGNORED

Saurussoft

mantadoc

I have an original copy of Freddy. There aren't a lot of them out there, unfortunately. The disk was pirated and spread like wildfire after its release--I had to hunt quite a while (about a year) to find an original when I was in Germany. I never did find an original copy of The Mine. . .

Their was a video shown on here of a game by them called the castle( I think). I've never seen it. Omega, I load Freddy from one of my scsi drives. You just have to get in there with a sector editor and make the proper

Changes so it will load. I've done the same with major Tom.

• Like 1

I went looking for my disk today, but it isn't in the disk boxes where I thought I had it. That will make it a bit more difficult to locate, as my other disk boxes are in storage right now. . .and not set up for easy access.

I believe that there were only three released programs from Saurussoft (all mentioned already here in the thread). As noted, mine was a very low serial number (in the high teens), so finding an original of any of these disks will be a serious hunt. . .

Their was a video shown on here of a game by them called the castle( I think). I've never seen it. Omega, I load Freddy from one of my scsi drives. You just have to get in there with a sector editor and make the proper

Changes so it will load. I've done the same with major Tom.

Cool! I'd love to have a copy of your modified version. When I get time, I need to make up a new "HQ Games" disk/image. I removed the Rasmus games from it because there was no need to double up on them since his fancy 8-IN-1 cartridge .BIN was released. :)

Oh, I remember that intro screen ... yes, found it on my disks! Here's an image; I think it contains all necessary files.

I can imagine that this game was among my favorites indeed.

And yes, it was on a disk with a lot of other programs; I don't recall any problems with it.

freddy.dsk

Edited by mizapf
  • Like 1

Oh, I remember that intro screen ... yes, found it on my disks! Here's an image; I think it contains all necessary files.

I can imagine that this game was among my favorites indeed.

And yes, it was on a disk with a lot of other programs; I don't recall any problems with it.

Thanks! I'll get this over to a DSSD 80 track image on R.I. tomorrow with other stuff and see what happens.

The loader contains code to overwrite sectors of the diskette and display a message to the user. I suspect the disk files attached here have been modified to eliminate the piracy countermeasures as there seems to be no jump into the code from within the loader. Although, it is conceivable the main program initiates the routine; I did not investigate further.

As part of the disk trashing, the following message is supposed to be displayed: "PROGRAMM IST RAUBKOPIE". ;)

The loader contains code to overwrite sectors of the diskette and display a message to the user. I suspect the disk files attached here have been modified to eliminate the piracy countermeasures as there seems to be no jump into the code from within the loader. Although, it is conceivable the main program initiates the routine; I did not investigate further.

I'll play around a little tonight, I don't have enough time to get into a project I really need to finish, so I'll play around with this a little and see what happens. I can easily make multiple disk images in case of a "mission impossible scenario" of a self-destruct.

From complaints I heard back in the day, the game plays normally for a while before it tries a write to the disk at a specific location. If that wrote is successful, it goes into the trash disk-Programm ist Raubkopie (this is a pirated copy of the program) routine.

It sounds like the real disks may have been formatted with a sector that was not available or perhaps randomly made impossible to read. I know of a few authors who would randomly place a small magnet in one or two locations on a disk. They would execute a routine to read all sectors and flag any unreadable ones. They would then tailor each program disk for the unique 'bad' sector, and if the 'copy protection' routine found a valid sector, the assumption was the person pirated the program. Often times this resulted in lockup or some other less than obvious routine running, leaving the person to wonder why the program kept crashing.