IGNORED

Which console made up most of your childhood?

We all have fond memories of growing up with video games, but I'm sure we all have that one special console that gave us some of the best times of our childhoods. For me, it was the Game Boy Advance. I was 7 when it came out and I'd had other consoles before it (GB, GBC, Playstation), but this is the one I spent the most time with. It's the console that introduced me to Pokemon, which led me to make friends I normally would have been too shy to talk to. It also helped me bond with my brother, since we'd battle each other and trade Pokemon to complete each other's PokeDex's (he had Sapphire, I had Ruby).

The NES. We had a 2600 before that, but I was still pretty young. I enjoyed the games and played them, but the NES is what really caught my attention. I had subscriptions to Nintendo Power, I rented games (even remember renting the system before I had my own), I traded and borrowed games, talked about games at school, you name it. Later on, I moved on to other systems like the TurboGrafx-16 (which I got in high school) and the Playstation, but that was getting on closer to adulthood. As far as my childhood goes? I mean, the ages of around 10 to 15 or so, it was the NES.

The VCS was the console I had the longest in my childhood, and the one for which I owned the most games (by far). But for one summer I swapped with a friend who had an Intellivision, and that had a great impact on me as well -- AD&D was a revelation compared to my (up-to-then) favorite Adventure, for example. But then along came the Colecovision and its (for the time) amazing graphics and sound. And then the 5200, with my first experience with Star Raiders. But I only owned the CV and 5200 for a short time each, moving quickly to the A8 platform so I could program my own games.

I guess the VCS probably had the most influence on me, growing up, simply due to being the first real console I owned (I had the Telstar Arcade before it, but that wasn't much more than a pong system, really) and being the one I owned the longest.

As far as computers, definitely the biggest influences on me were the Atari 8-bit and the Apple ][. I've owned one or both of those continuously since the early 1980s, so they continue to have an influence on me.

The Atari 2600 and NES are the consoles that defined my childhood.

The 2600 is the first console I played. My mom and dad bought a Light Sixer model 2600 in 1981. I was a baby at the time. But didn't really start playing it until 1986. And that was the time my dad introduced me to arcade games. The 2600 delivered arcade excitement at home when I was a kid. And introduced video games to me.

The NES was my first system I got as a gift in Christmas 1988. It was the Action Set with Super Mario and Duck Hunt. I also got Mario 2 and the Legend of Zelda. I enjoyed Mario, Mega Man, Castlevania, and the Zelda series. So many great platformers, light gun games, sports games, and many more. The NES delivered huge!

Hard to say, childhood crossed several generations of consoles. I'd probably say 2600 was the biggest. My family got an Intellivision aroud '81 and I definitely loved it, but a couple years after that I traded a friend some pirated Apple 2 games for his 2600 and it really felt like my console. I spent a lot of time on the Inty, and because it came first for me it made a huge impact, but I think I spent more time w/ the 2600 overall. It's close. I got a few games 2600 cheap after the crash, and continued buying at garage sales for years afterwards. It felt like there were just SO many games for the 2600, picking up lots at garage sales always held great surprises. I played it pretty consistently until...

Around 89 I bought an NES, but also got a Master System later. Personally, I liked the Master System better - I spent more time with it and had more games. Great memories, and definitely a fun part of my teens. I also got a 7800 when they were getting closed out, but never had a huge library. I play the 7800 more nowadays.

Edited by BydoEmpire

Consoles, primarily the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision. Computers, primarily the Commodore 64 and Amiga, followed by a sprinkling of Adam, before going all-in on PC.

The only console generation (not counting prior to the 2600) I wasn't directly, actively involved in, was the one with the NES, SMS, and 7800. I really only directly owned them after their commercial limelights (I mostly focused on computer stuff at that time).

NES and Genesis, depending on what you consider childhood. I played a lot of NHL '95 on Genesis for years and years, so it might have eclipsed my total NES time if you get down to it, but the NES seems more memorable because it was my first console, everyone had one and it just seemed to stick with me more since I was like 5 when I got it. I just seem to remember more NES-ness going down compared to the Genesis/SNES split where half your friends had one and half had the other. It was really easy as a Genesis guy to just want to play Mario Kart and Mario World at other people's houses, whereas who knows what would be in store with the vast NES games out there. I was kind of retro before there was retro because I never really wanted to give up my NES. I even bought a SNES later on essentially for Mario All-Stars to keep playing Mario games since various NES systems had the blinking light so bad I just quit on them. I think I was kind of out of gaming by grade 8 or 9 besides some Genesis until I could get a credit card when I was 18 and actually go online and buy what I wanted and did my first and only console tinkering when I took apart my NES and put in a new pin connector.

SNES or PS1. For SNES tons of great memories, RPGs, etc. PS1 came out when I was a bit older though so I was doing odd jobs and stuff and actually buying the games on my own. Plus games were cheaper so I'd sometimes get 2 games instead of just 1 on birthday/Christmas. I can't really say which one I played more but I think the two games I was most enthusiastic about and anticipating release for were Lufia II and Harvest Moon. Both games delivered hard.

Narrow it down to Apple II+. If it HAS to be a videogame console, make it Intellivision.

Ignore my previous selection. It's a tough call because I had access to so many of them. Mine and my buddies' units. Between all of us we had every console out there.

Edited by Keatah

I had Atari 2600 for about 8 years before NES came along. I do have lots of memories about 2600 such as Adventure, Pitfall 2, etc. I had more fun with NES because it was so much bigger and required more thinking and/or better reflex like Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros.

So while I started with 2600 I had more fun with NES.