IGNORED

Wanted: 2600 RCA Cables

hizzy

I'm not sure what you want. The 2600 uses a simple single rca cable. Any yellow video cable will work. Actually red and whites will work as well. There are some opinions that yellow work better but not from my experiences.

That would only be if the yellow cord was made with a thicker copper center wire and perhaps stronger shielding from the outer ground of the cord compared to the white and red audio cables from the same set. Sometimes all 3 are just interwoven threads of wire instead of a solid core. Solid core giving much stronger results than the former of course.

I find that people use RF & RCA interchangeably. On the Atari age site, they refer to it as an RCA cable:

https://atariage.com/howto/connect.html

Best calls it RF:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm

Is one term more popular than the other?

To be specific, I'm looking for the stock RF/RCA cable. It's for a 4 switch woody :)

Thanks!

I find that people use RF & RCA interchangeably. On the Atari age site, they refer to it as an RCA cable:

https://atariage.com/howto/connect.html

Best calls it RF:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm

Is one term more popular than the other?

To be specific, I'm looking for the stock RF/RCA cable. It's for a 4 switch woody :)

Thanks!

Fair enough. I just usually hear and refer to them as RF cables in contrast to composite cables being called RCA cables to make it clear that RF is what goes through the cable.

Anyway, I think it may be somewhat harder to find them by themselves compared to other consoles since they are built into the Atari and usually sold together.

Fair enough. I just usually hear and refer to them as RF cables in contrast to composite cables being called RCA cables to make it clear that RF is what goes through the cable.

Anyway, I think it may be somewhat harder to find them by themselves compared to other consoles since they are built into the Atari and usually sold together.

Best Electronics used to have them, but it looks like they are sold out :(

One reason I like the stock cables is because the the plug inside is smaller than usual. The plug of yellow/red/white cables are too big for the 2600 case. The case doesn't close with those inside. Hopefully, Best will get more.

Thanks!

Any RCA cable will work. As you mentioned, the Atari plugs were a bit shorter so if case clearance is an issue for the replacement cable, get a right angle female to male rca connector. Better yet, get a right angle F-type female to rca male adapter and use a coax cable.

post-26371-0-79330600-1454511116_thumb.jpeg

post-26371-0-78270800-1454511161_thumb.jpeg

Edited by atariLBC
  • Like 2

"RCA" in this situation refers to a composite connection. RCA the company popularized this type of output and got their brand name associated with it because of that. Same as Kleenex is a brand of tissue but the name is so synonymous with that tissue they get called Kleenex no matter the brand. 1 single cord from an "RCA" composite set of 3 cables can be used in place of the "RF" cable common on older electronics but that is as far as their likeness goes. Confusing the 2 would only be out of ignorance.

Also, the depth of the male connection of the RCA cables comes in many flavors depending what quality or brand of composite cables you have purchased. There is no standard depth. Try a local dollar store to find some composite cables to take one for your RF. If you want really nice ones

go to an electronics store. The later should have various cables with a range of depths to the connectors. Probably get gold plated ones for a cleaner connection (and picture on the tv) there as well.

• Like 1

"RF" refers to a Rodan + Feilds connection. "RCA" in this situation refers to a composite connection. RCA the company popularized this type of output and got their brand name associated with it because of that. Same as Kleenex is a brand of tissue but the name is so synonymous with that tissue they get called Kleenex no matter the brand. 1 single cord from an "RCA" composite set of 3 cables can be used in place of the "RF" cable common on older electronics but that is as far as their likeness goes. Confusing the 2 would only be out of ignorance.

Also, the depth of the male connection of the RCA cables comes in many flavors depending what quality or brand of composite cables you have purchased. There is no standard depth. Try a local dollar store to find some composite cables to take one for your RF. If you want really nice ones

go to an electronics store. The later should have various cables with a range of depths to the connectors. Probably get gold plated ones for a cleaner connection (and picture on the tv) there as well.

Thanks for the clarification!

Any RCA cable will work. As you mentioned, the Atari plugs were a bit shorter so if case clearance is an issue for the replacement cable, get a right angle female to male rca connector. Better yet, get a right angle F-type female to rca male adapter and use a coax cable.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Great suggestion! :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...