IGNORED

Atari Arcade Flashback system: Why hasn't it come out yet?

I don't know how the key board would work out for ether a o2 or c64 flashback would it be something easy to pull off for the price point. It would be needed for the true fans of the systems at least to look anyway authentic but the one point of a flashback is being compact

Ignoring an Odyssey2 Flashback for a moment since that's extremely unlikely for a wide variety of reasons, for a C-64 Flashback you'd only have to do what happened with the DTV and include games that only worked with a joystick and may required a function key or two to start or change options. There are more than enough such games for the C-64 where having no keyboard is a non-issue. After all, the goal of a Flashback is not to replicate the entire experience, just to be able to play a bunch of games in a convenient form factor as inexpensively as possible.

A smarphone or tablet is the most convenient form factor ever. even 4-yr old kids have one!

My youngest of three, an 18-month-old, is a whiz on her iPad and our smartphones. It's crazy how intuitive touchscreens are. They definitely have their drawbacks for certain types of games, but otherwise there's little to argue with about the value of a good touchscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sega products will be the same, but will have an interesting software twist.

My fingers are crossed that this "interesting software twist" is that they're finally going to fix the audio emulation! :D :D :D

I would probably have to buy one of the portables if they did that...and if they didn't sell out months before they're released =|

• Like 1

It would also be nice to see the console iteration of their upcoming Genesis hardware include sd card support.

With fixed audio, it would be a nice cheap way to explore more of the PAL library without sitting at my PC using a homebrew emulator instead (And can play the PAL carts I already own, thanks to their hardware outputting NTSC video).

I've tried using their early attempt with the Sonic shaped console and the IR Wiimote lookalikes, but the audio was too far off and the controllers too poor. Handled the video in problematic PAL titles like Super Skidmarks just fine though.

Edited by Atariboy