IGNORED

A pocket-size Windows laptop

Flojomojo

Well, this thing is a portable. If you don't need a unit that's small and all in one you don't need this.

I actually have portables already, so I don't need this anyway.

It's a neat idea, but certainy very niche, cause overall there is not much advantage over an android based system like their own XD.

WOW, and they actually got their money. I won't even call it funding, cause those guys are running with the money. If it's funding, it's to their trip/runaway to New Zealand or something like that.

The worse is they're advertising playing modern games on that. It will play, but the experience is crap. Not to mention it just eats up battery, there are thermal issues etc.. I'd seriously rather fund the Coleco Chameleon than this project. I'r tahter give lee himself 300 bucks onm his word alone that he'd make the console and send me one.

At least when it's all over I'd have a DVI capture card...

PGS, sheesh. Their real-life prototype looks like a phone stuck into the bottom half of a 3DS shell. Not amazing. The tech is feasible, even at the low price they're quoting, but they don't look like the team to make it. I would buy a finished handheld with those specs from an established company, though. I expect it's coming.

PGS, sheesh. Their real-life prototype looks like a phone stuck into the bottom half of a 3DS shell. Not amazing. The tech is feasible, even at the low price they're quoting, but they don't look like the team to make it. I would buy a finished handheld with those specs from an established company, though. I expect it's coming.

But... they have pictures of a multimeter and circuit boards, surely they must be legit!

• Like 1

Latest news is GPD is switching the CPU to an Atom 8700 or 8750. Probably Intel is no longer manufacturing 8550s and is winding down production of the latest models too.

That's great news. Every once in a while I think about getting one of these. I like how the specs keep getting better.

• 3 weeks later...

But... they have pictures of a multimeter and circuit boards, surely they must be legit!

Now dead!

http://liliputing.com/2016/07/pgs-handheld-gaming-pc-kickstarter-campaign-cancelled.html

Part of the reasons given:

Unfortunately, such a great impact also attracted the attention of a small group of people who are always trying to spoil others' achievements, to obstruct the progress. We are not much offended, but activity of these people managed to induce suspicion in some part of our community. The detractors were trying hard to convince others that our project is fake and scam and that our only goal is to get money and disappear. At some point even several media resources started believing that it's true.

Haters are everywhere, not just on AtariAge!

Perhaps the truth has a hater bias.

That's great news. Every once in a while I think about getting one of these. I like how the specs keep getting better.

I just they don't screw up due to a last-minute revision, but they seem to know what they're doing. They just sent an update explaining they decided to add a fan and a slightly bigger battery to compensate for the extra power draw, and make the case 1.5mm thicker for everything to fit.

Edited by Newsdee

I just they don't screw up due to a last-minute revision, but they seem to know what they're doing. They just sent an update explaining they decided to add a fan and a slightly bigger battery to compensate for the extra power draw, and make the case 1.5mm thicker for everything to fit.

I'm not too crazy about a fan. It shouldn't need it and that's a good sized power draw. I much prefer solid state.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LiqMat

It's happening :D A bunch of prototype units went out to beta testers and gameplay videos are appearing on youtube.

They posted a compilation here:

Wow, much more impressive than my skeptical mind would have thought.

• 2 months later...

It was always planned that it would be sold more widely than the crowdfunding.

The problem is the timing of the shipment. Let's see when they ship to backers; it was supposed to be this month.

My main concern at this point is build quality. I backed some other device that shipped on time but turned out to have serious QA issues... and has resellers refusing to sell them now. Shows that even with the best honest intentions, there's potential for problems once your gadget gets some real use.