IGNORED

A pocket-size Windows laptop

Flojomojo

Anyone been watching this story recently? Apparently this company is selling units to Internet stores before backers and people are super mad about it.

I saw a little chatter on the Dingoonity boards. Looks like Geekbuying is pre-selling them, which should not be considered a big deal. That's one of their long-standing partners and they haven't shipped them yet. It's not as if the paying customers from the Indiegogo are getting screwed.

It's nice to see that Geekbuying is selling at the same $330 as GPD was offering to Indiegogo backers. Or if you put money into the crowd campaign, I guess that's something to rage against, if that's your thing.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

If these ever get to a mainstream online seller, I'm definitely in for one. I'll hold off until they are proven reliable.

GPD is a Chinese company and if this is like the GPD XD or similar products, you won't be able to buy it from Best Buy or Amazon. I got my XD from a Chinese reseller (Willgoo I think ... Geekbuying is the other big one right now) and it took longer than usual to receive because of the trans-pacific shipping trip. The simplest thing from a USA buyer would be to get it from a trusted US eBay seller. I know that if I get one but get tired of it, I'll be able to flip it easily to someone who doesn't want to wait for slow-boat shipping.

I saw a little chatter on the Dingoonity boards. Looks like Geekbuying is pre-selling them, which should not be considered a big deal. That's one of their long-standing partners and they haven't shipped them yet. It's not as if the paying customers from the Indiegogo are getting screwed.

It's nice to see that Geekbuying is selling at the same $330 as GPD was offering to Indiegogo backers. Or if you put money into the crowd campaign, I guess that's something to rage against, if that's your thing.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

There are people that are claiming to have them. I read about someone on reddit having one.

Yeah I'm waiting till they get the specs ironed out. The first ones are 8700 procs with no fan. I have no problem waiting for a better one.

I'm pretty sure fanless is a feature -- no moving parts to break, just like a low end Windows tablet with similar specs, or a Chromebook. If you're waiting for it to come out with a fan, you're waiting for something else. :-D

There are people that are claiming to have them. I read about someone on reddit having one.

I see what you mean https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/56zaxa/my_gpd_win_arrived_via_geekbuying_preordered/?

I'm pretty sure fanless is a feature -- no moving parts to break, just like a low end Windows tablet with similar specs, or a Chromebook. If you're waiting for it to come out with a fan, you're waiting for something else. :-D

I see what you mean https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/56zaxa/my_gpd_win_arrived_via_geekbuying_preordered/?

The system has a fan...

Well, the problem is, these intel low power processors they're not designed to work at high clock rates for extended periods of time. They're not designed to play games, they're web browsing, skype, media consumption processors. They work perfectly for that function on passively cooled machines. If you want to let the processor maintain higher clocks you have no option but to cool it better.

Overall it won't play much in the way of modern PC games anyway. I think for like 99% of people the XD is just a better buy. Probably a ton of people getting this don't really need it. But that's the nature of the game. I have to admit it is really cool to think about such a mini full functional gaming laptop. Too bad it's not ACTUALLY fully functional as a gaming PC.

Am I the only person who thinks that the screens on these types of devices are just too small to be useful? Granted, I am rapidly closing on 50, and I've worn glasses since I was about 12.

I like to game (and write, etc.) on a decent-size monitor. Even with my phone, I selected the largest screen available -- and that is just barely tolerable for complex games (e.g. Baldur's Gate); it is fine for the comparatively low resolution Atari 2600/NES/SNES emulators, of course.

I would never buy something like this unless I had the chance to try it out first. My brief demo with an Nintendo 3DS, for example, persuaded me not to get one.

• Like 1

You might want to try the "New 3DS", the improvements to the 3D screen are phenomenal.

As for whether this is good enough as a gaming machine... the PC has a long back catalog of games and emulators. You won't run a heavy 3D game but Dosbox, Mame, GoG, and Steam combined ought to give you plenty to keep us busy.

As far as I'm concerned, I always felt with Android handhelds that it was missing some features compared to a PC. Now is the chance to find out how well that idea works in practice. :D

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the orders are halfway shipped (mine is on the latter half), that's about 1200 units or so already in the wild.

There should be some video reviews starting to appear soon.

Edit: here's one from Japan. In the middle he shows it next to an iPhone 7.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 2

I like the idea in theory but in the end for a "portable" Windows machine you are going to have a seriously under-powered piece of hardware regardless of what they claim so you may as well just buy a low end laptop. If you need something so tiny then just emulate on an Android device. In fact same company has done very well with this very design and Android.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

I was just complaining to OldSchoolRetroGamer on Facebork how I still haven't received my IndieGoGo GPD Win. Why the hoopty hagraven do people get to purchase these on Alibaba and get them first?

Shocking language!

Glad these are rolling out and hope you get yours soon. I'm looking forward to the reviews --and hearing how people choose to use these.

• Like 1

I finally got it!

It's a bit heavier than expected but that's not a bad thing. Construction is decent, it doesn't feel cheap.

Win10 defaults aren't great for a tiny screen, so I'll have to find out things to tweak. It does seem to get a bit warm ao I'll keep an eye on forums to see what people say about that.

I didn't do much with it other than installing Steam. I've ran one 2D game but didnt manage to configure the joystick yet. Maybe it needs joy2key.

• Like 2

I finally got it!

It's a bit heavier than expected but that's not a bad thing. Construction is decent, it doesn't feel cheap.

Win10 defaults aren't great for a tiny screen, so I'll have to find out things to tweak. It does seem to get a bit warm ao I'll keep an eye on forums to see what people say about that.

I didn't do much with it other than installing Steam. I've ran one 2D game but didnt manage to configure the joystick yet. Maybe it needs joy2key.

How's the screen and keyboard quality?

How's the screen and keyboard quality?

It's alright. The screen feels on par with my ASUS T100 tablet except smaller. It's about the same size as the screen on my NVidia Shield. Windows needs some adjustments to make things bigger but that's expected.

The keyboard is decent for the size. I don't see myself typing a novel or even a long email with it, but it works well, you don't accidentally push buttons. EDIT: it's more suitable for typing with your thumbs as you need to push the keys well.

One downside which can bother some people is that the analog sticks do not have a button (so you can't push them in). Instead the keyboard has an L3 and R3 keys on the side. Not great for 3D games that require it, but not a problem for most 2D and retro games.

The weight is considerably less than the Shield which was one of my gripes with it (other than being Android only).

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

Those L3 and R3 buttons sound like the solution they used for the GPD XD (the clamshell Android handheld that resembles a 3DS). It's an okay substitute in that setting.

I wish I could get my hands on one of these keyboards just to feel it out. I used to be very fast on the Blackberry physical keyboards, which this seems to resemble.

It's alright. The screen feels on par with my ASUS T100 tablet except smaller. It's about the same size as the screen on my NVidia Shield. Windows needs some adjustments to make things bigger but that's expected.

The keyboard is decent for the size. I don't see myself typing a novel or even a long email with it, but it works well, you don't accidentally push buttons. EDIT: it's more suitable for typing with your thumbs as you need to push the keys well.

One downside which can bother some people is that the analog sticks do not have a button (so you can't push them in). Instead the keyboard has an L3 and R3 keys on the side. Not great for 3D games that require it, but not a problem for most 2D and retro games.

The weight is considerably less than the Shield which was one of my gripes with it (other than being Android only).

Thank you for your first hand opinion. You make me still want to get one.

Shocking language!

Glad these are rolling out and hope you get yours soon. I'm looking forward to the reviews --and hearing how people choose to use these.

Just got these. DHL doesn't understand directions so I almost missed the package. Almost fat finger scrambled my initial user password because the keys are for baby gnomes. Hibernation is turned off for some reason. Mouse buttons are set to the side buttons so that's awkward.

I installed RDPWrap so Windows 10 Home can do remote desktop. The less I have to deal with that dinky keyboard and waaaay too spaced out mouse buttons the better:

https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap

• Like 2