IGNORED

Incognito

Panther

I already have one, but there are many who want one. I am hoping that we can persuade Candle (the creator) to allow Lotharek (professional quality producer of many great things such as VBXE, U1M, Rapidus, etc.) to take over the manufacturing of Incognito. We also need to persuade Lotharek that there are enough people interested in it to make a production run.

That's only my opinion, but feel free to ask any Incognito owner and I'm sure they will agree that this upgrade is a total game-changer. It adds more power to an 800 than any upgrade ever made. It's better than U1M+SIDE2 because you still have 2 (TWO!) cart slots available, and a PBI.

I can't say enough good things about it. I have never had a problem (that wasn't MY fault) with it. It's completely compatible with everything. I even have an 816 CPU and it performs flawlessly.

Highly recommended (in case you haven't figured that out already). :)

• Like 1

Some people have complained that it's "too invasive" of a mod to an 800. I don't quite understand what they're talking about since you don't have to make any permanent changes and all that's really needed is to simply replace your RAM boards and personality (OS) board with the Incognito and connect six wires. It's recommended, but not required to cut away a small piece of plastic inside where you won't even see it in order to make more room for the cables, and it's completely optional to install a button and LED somewhere. I decided to add them where they'd be discrete. The LED can be seen mainly as just a reflection on the desk where I put it, but I figure I can always move it somewhere more visible later. Access to the PBI bus is another story. Anyone care to share their methods of running a cable out of the 800?

Anyway, I must say again, I really like this mod! My 130XE and 800XL are going to collect dust now.

this mod is imho on of the few mods that actually improves an 800 and it follows the proper personality card approach... it isn't all that invasive and maintain damn near perfect compatibility.... looking at what Atari and the third party updates upgrades etc. of the past are!... this stays perfectly in the tradition of what Atari had in mind before the seal it all up under a label edict started....

Thumbs up to all incognito 800's out there! You are the spirit of Atari!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

. . . Access to the PBI bus is another story. Anyone care to share their methods of running a cable out of the 800? . . .

I will soon (not today, but soon) post pictures of how to modify the metal plate under the top cover to allow the PBI cable to pass through.

• Like 1

I bought the one before this one and I'm definitely using it. Just because it gets expensive doesn't necessarily mean shill buyers and profiteering.

That's right. The bid most likely went high because it's an extremely useful and well designed piece of hardware that some people are desperate to get ahold of at this point. They're no longer being manufactured and there's little sign that they will be in the near future. This was no auction for those of modest means.

• Like 2

I will soon (not today, but soon) post pictures of how to modify the metal plate under the top cover to allow the PBI cable to pass through.

Attached is a pic of the metal plate under the 800's top cover. The black stuff on it is the remains of the tape that Atari used to stick a thin steel plate on to the aluminum plate. I removed the steel plate and cut the aluminum as shown. Make sure to stay several mm away from the tab that holds the rear of the plate in place.

After you're done, use a solvent to remove the black stuff. Use a file to smooth the edges to avoid cutting the PBI cable.

Be very careful removing the screws that hold the plate on. They're in 30 something year old plastic, and it may crack.

post-13040-0-23252700-1458148560_thumb.jpg

Edit: Sorry about the poor picture quality. The cut area is 10mm x 70mm.

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

Attached is a pic of the metal plate under the 800's top cover. The black stuff on it is the remains of the tape that Atari used to stick a thin steel plate on to the aluminum plate. I removed the steel plate and cut the aluminum as shown. Make sure to stay several mm away from the tab that holds the rear of the plate in place.

The metal plate was no longer used at some point on newer 800s, so a lot of people won't have them. I'm not certain, but they might only exist on the units that came with the memory and personality boards encased in a shell.

The metal plate was no longer used at some point on newer 800s, so a lot of people won't have them. I'm not certain, but they might only exist on the units that came with the memory and personality boards encased in a shell.

Both my 800's have them but neither of them have encased RAM cards, including one I bought complete in box with the big "48K" sticker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1