IGNORED

Incognito

Panther

Speaking of screws, this is something everyone should know when dealing with their old computers. When replacing a screw, such as the ones used to hold the metal plate on the lid, or the ones that hold the case together, always start by rotating counter-clockwise as if you're removing the screw until you hear/feel a slight click, then go clockwise to screw it in. This ensures you have the screw's threads lined up with the original threads in the plastic (or metal even). Also, don't overtighten, pretend the plastic is old and brittle...

• Like 4

The metal plate was no longer used at some point on newer 800s, so a lot of people won't have them. I'm not certain, but they might only exist on the units that came with the memory and personality boards encased in a shell.

I have a late production 800(manufactured in Hong Kong, date code 233) that still has the metal plate.

In the "Calling All 800s!" thread there is only one with a later date code, and only by a week.

I will be watching this latest auction, but I'm sure it will go high like the previous one. Sure would be nice if another batch could be built. Maybe if we had a poll to judge the demand, we could convince Candle to make some more.

edit: I just started a poll so those who are interested can voice their desire for a new run of boards.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250402-whos-still-interested-in-buying-an-incognito-for-their-800/

• Like 2

I wish people would buy these and use them... the shill bidding and make a killing mentality ruins it for all those with modest means....

What would you consider a fair method of selling an Incognito, or any other Atari 8-bit component?

hmmm Buy It Now always works... set a price and if it's decent it gets bought. If not a deal of some kind might be made. Or if it doesn't sell the price goes down till it does...

I have seen enough 'auctions' where the item is 'sold' at some ridiculous price only to see that very same item listed again 3 to 6 months later by the same seller. That sort of thing has become common place on ebay... over and over again. Let's not forget it's always the last one... and we always seem to find 2 or 3 more every couple months going back 20 years... you figure it.. most of us have. In any event most people understand where I'm coming from and what's what. I'm just silly like that.

I prefer that things of quality and usefulness actually get bought by people who will enjoy and use them. It's a credit to the creator, the maker, that their work be enjoyed.. not bought up for the purpose of being sold at a premium later like some scalper at a sporting event.... just an opinion... I am sure there are many others just like mine....

opinions are like ********, everybody has one and they all stink! :) Mine might just be extra stinky! :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

So, first come, first serve to vigilant eBay'ers in the right time zone is the fair method.

It sounds like a bunch of people shelled out a bunch of money on extra Incognito boards in order to wait several months just to get them, and then eventually sell them all for profit. Perhaps that's not quite the way it happened.

So, first come, first serve to vigilant eBay'ers in the right time zone is the fair method.

It sounds like a bunch of people shelled out a bunch of money on extra Incognito boards in order to wait several months just to get them, and then eventually sell them all for profit. Perhaps that's not quite the way it happened.

If some hadn't bought extras to resell later the third production run would wouldn't have happened, or would at least been delayed until there were enough other orders.

What would you consider a fair method of selling an Incognito, or any other Atari 8-bit component?

Here's my suggestion. If you want the best price, put it on Ebay. If you want to sell it at a fair and reasonable profit, post your asking price in the marketplace on AA. You will probably get 20-30 requests for it. Pick the winner by random draw.

• Like 1

Here's my suggestion. If you want the best price, put it on Ebay. If you want to sell it at a fair and reasonable profit, post your asking price in the marketplace on AA. You will probably get 20-30 requests for it. Pick the winner by random draw.

That sounds like a feature that the marketplace needs here, a raffle system!

• Like 1

That is a really cool original idea that I have not witnessed anywhere! That is awesome.. and just in case someone feel the system isn't random enough they can enter a number of their choosing to act as part of the random number seed!

Al I think a really awesome original Idea has emerged here at Atari Age!

What an extremely fair and honest way to buy and sell... No way for a sniper, bot, et all to get over on this one... Black list cheaters and limit one entry per IP/MAC/or encoded mac....

This seems like I really big idea... an awesome way to do it. If implemented it might be the next wonderful way to sell on the internet...

Everyone gets a chance! It sounds so simple yet it hasn't been done anywhere yet... at least not that a search engine has found!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Certainly a fairly simple system to implement. Another feature that would be useful would be an order system for people doing limited hardware runs. Something that can track the pre-orders up through available quantity, and status up through shipping.

Edited by Panther

You realize this simple thing would forever return online shopping back to the once great experience it used to be!

Falling prices auction, with raffles to make sure everyone gets a shot at owning it....

If 50 items exist and 50 people want to buy it at the price they all get one! nice! If 200 people want it.. it's luck of the draw one to a customer now that's fair as it gets!

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 2 weeks later...

So this expansion was just for the old 800 correct? it was never done out the PBI for the 800xl yet?

To buy one board that does everything this thing does, I would so prefer than SIDE2 and Ultimate Cart and U1mb etc..etc..etc..

If this allows the old 800 to do this.. would you be further along if you want to use your hardware (not collect) to have an 800 with this.. than dropping $500 for 3-4 different items on an 800xl.. ??

James

Edited by Bikerbob

The main plus about the Incognito for me is that it adds XL/XE compatibility and modern RAM expansions to the 800. I love the 800 keyboard and being able to use it sensibly with SpartaDOS X is fantastic. Not sure you need to drop $500 to achieve the same on an XL. Really a SIDE2 card plus Ultimate 1Mb would be all you need. Incognito doesn't add anything beyond that, no stereo or VBXE etc.

• Like 1

@Bikerbob: Careful not to confuse the functionality of each device. As I wrote regarding the SD cart, it emulates a variety of BANKED carts, and neither the U1MB nor Incognito does that. Incognito does indeed perform on its own the same tasks which the U1MB/SIDE combo accomplishes.

Incognito (if you can find one) is more expensive than U1MB and SIDE together, and requires soldering work.

Edited by flashjazzcat

@Bikerbob: Careful not to confuse the functionality of each device. As I wrote regarding the SD cart, it emulates a variety of BANKED carts, and neither the U1MB nor Incognito does that. Incognito does indeed perform on its own the same tasks which the U1MB/SIDE combo accomplishes.

Incognito (if you can find one) is more expensive than U1MB and SIDE together, and requires soldering work.

U1MB also requires soldering, especially if the OS & MMU aren't already in sockets.

yes, just pricing things out on Lotharek's site.. might be something to consider I think.

I am just hoping I can do a good job desoldering and soldering my chips - eyes not as good and hand not as steady as I was when I did these projects at 18 :)

James

Get a magnifying lamp. They make a world of difference.

Yep that I have, I have done this.. and have the skills, back in my day I was MR. breadboard.. but those days were long ago.. 1/4w resistors were tiny.. and 36pins were crazy big ... yep that long ago :)