IGNORED

The ill-fated 3DO version of Doom...

...is actually a rushed port of the Jaguar version:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193995

I started around August and I released the final disc on November 1st. That was 10 weeks.

I just said, "This is just going to be a straight Jaguar port."

I spent 10 weeks producing the source code that you saw up on Github and of course, when I was submitting builds to Randy over at Art Data, the frame rate wasn't that great because I just got the game prototype.

I didn't have time to optimize it.

And he was saying, "Why isn't this game running at 60 frames a second? Where is my new weapons? Where is my new stuff?"

And I'm like, "Do you have any idea how game development is done?"

Because he truly believed all you had to do to put a weapon in a game is to draw it.

The whole story is rather fascinating, in a "watching a train-wreck" kind of way. It reminds me of what's currently happening on another console.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 10

The following is on wiki with a citation:

The Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are missing, though the Spectre (which is absent from the Jaguar, SNES, and 32X versions) is included. The 3DO version was originally a more ambitious project, intended to surpass the PC version, but after it was mired in development hell for two years, the programmer was contracted to create a basic port in ten weeks.[21]

Source: [21] Matthews, Will (December 2013). "Ahead of its Time: A 3DO Retrospective". Retro Gamer (122) (Imagine Publishing). pp. 26–29.

Interesting the Spectre made it in. This monster runs at several more frames of animation.

While there's a lot of "vs" around here, there's no reason why the 3do port shouldn't have been on par or better than the Jag port in the right hands with adequate time/resources.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The music seems to be unique and really rock for the 3DO version. Going to give it a play-through this weekend and see if I can stand it :D

As you are at it resize the window at "post stamp" size (aka the min size) and the framerate really picks up, seriously.

I don't even think the resolution takes that big of a hit (some but not like "ANSI gfx" style), it does look silly to play it on a big screen and have to look at a very small area that's for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...