IGNORED

Home-brews published in cartridge and now freely available to download.

I'm sure Christmas Carol vs. the Ghost of Christmas Presents were sold in cartridge and its rom is freely available to download.

While we are talking about homebrew games to be played in the next Intellivision HSC season I realized I don't have a complete list.

So:

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision

It wasn't hiding. icon_winking.gif

But I didn't know it was available and I didn't know the Copter Commandos competition allowed it.

That's why I didn't play in the competetion.

Oh, I guess my problem was that rules only allowed real hardware, not emulation...

Edited by LidLikesIntellivision

4-Tris - http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/4-tris/

Space Patrol: teaser edition - http://spatula-city.org/~im14u2c/intv/spteaser/

Stonix - http://knox.ac.free.fr/index.php/inty/roms?title=stonix

Edit:

Donkey Kong Arcade - http://intellivision.us/roms/Donkey%20Kong.zip

(without the Japanese version)

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

In addition to no Japanese mode, that version of DK Arcade also has a high score bug....doesn't have voice and suffers on some HD TVs from disappearing barrels. That problem was fixed in later versions with a 3030 code that put the game into 30 frame per second mode and fixed the problem albeit with some flicker.

The proper version can be purchased here for a very reasonable $10

http://www.carlmuellerjr.com/

It wasn't hiding. ;-)

And it has a High Score verifier code feature

In addition to no Japanese mode, that version of DK Arcade also has a high score bug....doesn't have voice and suffers on some HD TVs from disappearing barrels. That problem was fixed in later versions with a 3030 code that put the game into 30 frame per second mode and fixed the problem albeit with some flicker.

The proper version can be purchased here for a very reasonable $10

http://www.carlmuellerjr.com/

Yes, $10 is a great price for the rom.

I'm asking for free roms because I'm making a list of games to be played by everyone in the HSC.

But now I'm curious to know what is the high score bug in the free DKA rom.

Could we set a high score contest and let players use either the free DKA rom or the cartridge? Of course, it would be the american mode.

If everything was free no one would survive in the Homebrew market. I imagine if you made a great game, put hundreds of hours into it and someone said " hey can I have that for free?"

Why waste your time, make it for yourself and the friends you like in the gaming community. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If everything was free no one would survive in the Homebrew market. I imagine if you made a great game, put hundreds of hours into it and someone said " hey can I have that for free?"

Why waste your time, make it for yourself and the friends you like in the gaming community. icon_thumbsup.gif

Although I love the Free Software Movement, I don't think everything must be free.

Anyway, that's not what this thread is about.

There are some free roms. I'm just building a list of these free roms that were also available in cartridge.

I think this list is usefull per se.

My personal goal is to know all home-brews that would fit well in the Intellivision High Score Club. icon_smile.gif

To answer your question about the high score bug.....it was a test rom that was released and the high score was set to zero at start. So, as soon as you score 'ding ding ding'....new high score.

I don't think that Carl wanted that released by the way. So, 'freely released' and 'available' in this case are not the same thing.

• Like 1

Given that the title says "published in cartridge and now freely available to download", I don't think that's what he meant at all.

And having put hundreds of hours into a game that many people have now enjoyed for free, it feels pretty swell. :D

• Like 2

Why waste your time, make it for yourself and the friends you like in the gaming community. :thumbsup:

You'd be surprise at how many people in the home-brew community across platforms do not share your position. ;)

Some of us really do love the hobby and like to share our work.

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 2

You'd be surprise at how many people in the home-brew community across platforms do not share your position. ;)

So of us really do love the hobby and like to share our work.

-dZ.

These are great points, and give me a better understanding. Thank you! :)

Agreed! Monetizing ROMs or game tape/disk images (i.e digital content) is the exception and not the norm in pretty much all homebrew communities. Many homebrew developers give their digital releases away for free.

• Like 1

My only stipulation for selling any homebrew is please continue to sell them, don't have several year gaps (5+ years) with no new copies for sale, do a survey, get some preorders, do what you got to do to make some more. That's what I like about ROM sales, no manufacturing so no reason for not selling it continuously. I have money sometimes lol but I can't keep up with limited time windows, what are you Disney and you're putting it back in the vault after selling it for a "limited time"? :lolblue:

I'm not suggesting anybody give away games for free, I just want to be able to buy more consistently any time. In this sense a steady stream of flash carts are needed more so than individual cart production, easiest route to wider spread on-hardware gaming. Other than that an emulator and maybe more INTV USB controller production at least. ;)

• Like 1

My only stipulation for selling any homebrew is please continue to sell them, don't have several year gaps (5+ years) with no new copies for sale, do a survey, get some preorders, do what you got to do to make some more. That's what I like about ROM sales, no manufacturing so no reason for not selling it continuously. I have money sometimes lol but I can't keep up with limited time windows, what are you Disney and you're putting it back in the vault after selling it for a "limited time"? :lolblue:

I'm not suggesting anybody give away games for free, I just want to be able to buy more consistently any time. In this sense a steady stream of flash carts are needed more so than individual cart production, easiest route to wider spread on-hardware gaming. Other than that an emulator and maybe more INTV USB controller production at least. ;)

Flash carts are rare but there are new Intellivision controllers readily available. In Canada, just go to Bed Bath and Beyond and pick up a Flashback (use their 20% off coupon). And fortunately we have a Canadian source for USB controller adapters as well. Producing and shipping cartridges for individual games does seem like a waste of resources.

Edited by mr_me

you do have to remember the flashback controllers are wired differently so you might need an adaptor for that. Nurmix makes them.

you do have to remember the flashback controllers are wired differently so you might need an adaptor for that. Nurmix makes them.

Retronic has firmware that is flashback controller compatible, and with the Raphnet circuit you can wire it however you want and use regular firmware. The Nurmix adapters are great for original consoles.

edit:

both Retronic and Raphnet provide their firmware source code so you can customise as you like (eg. add button combos).

Edited by mr_me