IGNORED

Joystick Doesn't Work On TWO DIFFERENT TI-99/4A!

VectorGamer

Alright guys this is totally bizarre

TI-99/4A joystick stopped working. I bought a Y cable and tested with a known working Atari CX-40 joystick and it still didn't work.

Earlier this week I bought a second TI-99/4A which I just got in the mail today. I have the same exact problem with this second TI!

The only constant in this is that I'm using the same composite cable (which I would have to rule out, right - it's just passing audio/video output) and the power adapter. Would a bad power adapter cause this problem?

As I said before it's not the alpha lock key - I learned that in another thread.

I might be stating the obvious but... A standard TI joystick is wired differently from an Atari stick, but both use the same connector. An adaptor is required to use an Atari joystick on a TI.

If it is the console, used/working consoles still seem to be plentiful. Considering two-way shipping plus any reasonable charge to open one up and diagnose/repair it, it would seem to be much more economical to simply find a working console. If it still misbehaves, suspect the sticks. The majority of TI-supplied sticks are now dead in the water, used or unused. Best to use an Atari-compatible and an adaptor.

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 4

hmm, is it possible that you have killed both joystick-ports with this adapter, or so ?

I don't think so. The joystick wasn't working on the first TI with the TI controllers which led me to buy the Y cable for further testing.

With the second TI, I tested with the Y cable first before I tested with the TI controllers.

• Like 1

This is just a bizarre hunch: you are plugging into the joystick port on the side of the TI and not the Tape port on the back (which looks just like it), yes? If not there are several of us in semi-reasonable driving distance from you (I am regularly in York visiting family) and there are a few others in that part of PA. . .

• Like 2

This is just a bizarre hunch: you are plugging into the joystick port on the side of the TI and not the Tape port on the back (which looks just like it), yes? If not there are several of us in semi-reasonable driving distance from you (I am regularly in York visiting family) and there are a few others in that part of PA. . .

Yep that was it! Holy Phuck I feel stupid. But in my defense I recently moved my console/computer gaming into the dark arcade and I can't see what I'm doing. I kept seeing the port in the back of the computer but not that one on the side. Thanks!

I actually get to Harrisburg, PA now and again to see/hear my granddaughter perform at the River City Blues and other venues around town. Or, might you be talking about Harrisburg, OR?

...lee

Harrisburg, PA!

• Like 5

You're not the first one to make that error, and I'm pretty sure you won't be the last either--but now there is a thread identifying the problem and its solution, so others will have a better chance to solve it quickly. :) Thanks for letting us help troubleshoot! :)

• Like 1