IGNORED

Module #3 Printer issue.

ScoreAddict

Hi!

Recently, I've got a Module #3. So far there are no issues with it - except for the printer.

The "string" pulling the print head from left to right was cut. Is there any video/instructions/how to/faq how to put it back in properly?

Really no idea why Coleco had to go for this kind of solution.

Well, I'd really like to restore it to working condition - if possible.

eColeco has what you need to repair it

SMALL PARTS - Tripod.pdf

But, contact adamcon first to see if he has it. If he doesn't then hit ecoleco in the small parts section for the ADAM.

http://atariage.com/forums/user/29644-adamcon/

Thanks for the help!

Alas, my problem is not the parts missing, but HOW to put the printer back together - in regards to how to set up and then tighten the string (which is still there). It's like a puzzle.

Then what you need is a bunch of pictures from inside the printer so you can follow the path of the string. It is basically not rocket science, BUT it will take a LOT of patience. PICTURES NEEDED PEOPLE!!

OK, I got it right in the end. It's fiddly and REALLY not a lot of fun.

Most important: You need ENOUGH string! Don't start this procedure if you don't have MORE string. It's .5mm nylon string.

I will make a proper posting WITH photos a soon as I have the rest of the #3 ready. I promise!

Module #3 testing! The fun goes on...

OK. Connection from console to module bay was an issue (no picture and continuous sound). Fortunately, I am persistent and tried around for a while and figured it out.

And now for the printer itself... when powered on it is initialised, the print head moves to the right side and the type wheel starts spinning. And that's it! It keeps on spinning.

On screen the menu can be seen, but not all of it - maybe the system waits for the printer to finish initialisation?

Since I also have an Adam "proper" I switched the printers and with the other one the system works flawlessly!

Any idea what's wrong with the printer?

Simple solution...

Pop off the printer lid and look at the ribbon case. If it's a Diablo made ribbon, the white ribbon feed posts are actually taller than the Coleco ribbon and make contact with the underside of the pop off lid which will cause the printer to not initialize properly. Remedy is to remove the ribbon or leave the lid loose... not snapped down.

More involved solution...

When standing in front of the printer, the print head should move to the left, cycle the print wheel and move a short distance to the right. When it first moves to the left, it comes in contact with a sensor switch so the controller knows where the print head is. You should clean this sensor switch as well as check to make sure it's not bent.

No solution...

The printer controller board mounted at the back/bottom on the power supply frame has gone bad and replacements are hard to find and disassembly to replace is a bitch. In this case, disconnect the connectors for the printer on this PCB and use as a power supply only.

There may be other reasons and you should checkout the 100s of Adam newsletters and especially the Adam Survival Guide that are available in PDF format on Joe B's site that is linked in my post footer.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

Simple solution...

Pop off the printer lid and look at the ribbon case. If it's a Diablo made ribbon, the white ribbon feed posts are actually taller than the Coleco ribbon and make contact with the underside of the pop off lid which will cause the printer to not initialize properly. Remedy is to remove the ribbon or leave the lid loose... not snapped down.

More involved solution...

When standing in front of the printer, the print head should move to the left, cycle the print wheel and move a short distance to the right. When it first moves to the left, it comes in contact with a sensor switch so the controller knows where the print head is. You should clean this sensor switch as well as check to make sure it's not bent.

No solution...

The printer controller board mounted at the back/bottom on the power supply frame has gone bad and replacements are hard to find and disassembly to replace is a bitch. In this case, disconnect the connectors for the printer on this PCB and use as a power supply only.

There may be other reasons and you should checkout the 100s of Adam newsletters and especially the Adam Survival Guide that are available in PDF format on Joe B's site that is linked in my post footer.

OK. Thank you for the huge amount of advice! Highly appreciated!

Now, let's go through the solutions step by step.

- Simple solution

The ribbon case is cleary not an issue.

- More involved solution

The printer initialisation is working properly - up until the point where the printer wheel is starting to spin and won't stop.

To be more precise - after powering on the print head will move to the left (I said right in my posting, but it's actually left if you stand in front of the printer) until it reaches the switch/sensor. Once the switch has been hit it will start spinning the wheel. Alas, this part of the initialisation does not stop!

My guess is that the photo sensor which detects the spin may be damaged/dirty. Although I tried to clean it, maybe there's still some dirt.

- No solution

I've actually disassembled the printer down to its components and cleaned every single part. Socketed ICs on the pcb where removed and then replaced (in case of contact issues). I encountered no issues or any signs of damage. But then again with old ICs/ROMs you never know if one goes bad.

Using the printer solely as power supply has also crossed my mind as I have another (working) printer unit and actually don't really need the printer option. But it's alway the LAST resort to go that way. I like my systems to be fully up and running.

Thank you for pointing me towards Joe B! Seems like you cannot miss the guy when it comes to Adam computers. ;)

Is there really no dedicated Coleco Adam-forum out there (anymore)?

I have two Adam printers in my office if you need a replacment.

Thank you for the offer! Highly appreciated!

But first I will try to swap the printer heads to see if the damage is related to that or the pcb. Maybe it's only a contact issue, cable related or the photo cell (on the printer head) needs replacement.

If that doesn't work I will ask you for a deal. :)