IGNORED

TI Artist

mantadoc

It's sad to think about how many graphics have been lost over the past couple of decades. I remember when the BBS's were full of graphics the TI could use or display. There were RLE's, Mac files, and other formats besides TIA format stuff. I've not seen most of that stuff again. Sadly I recycled 99% of my disks when I went to the PC and graphics 'of better quality' were always available, so...

Now I'm wondering, how many graphic files of that era survived? Would people be willing to check their personal disc storage and post some of those relics from the past so we can all enjoy them and port them back to real iron where 'they belong'.

One guy managed to preserve his images for your viewing pleasure with a modern browser << HERE >>.

P.S. Can we get all the add-on packages in this thread too? :)

• Like 1

It's sad to think about how many graphics have been lost over the past couple of decades. I remember when the BBS's were full of graphics the TI could use or display. There were RLE's, Mac files, and other formats besides TIA format stuff. I've not seen most of that stuff again. Sadly I recycled 99% of my disks when I went to the PC and graphics 'of better quality' were always available, so...

Now I'm wondering, how many graphic files of that era survived? Would people be willing to check their personal disc storage and post some of those relics from the past so we can all enjoy them and port them back to real iron where 'they belong'.

One guy managed to preserve his images for your viewing pleasure with a modern browser << HERE >>.

P.S. Can we get all the add-on packages in this thread too? :)

About graphics i have hundreds of graphics disks for various TI Graphics programs...

Images, fonts, instances... and other

i purchased Big lots of them in the years. All have to be converted. :P

• Like 1

I gotta be honest though... TI-Artist was better for displaying pics than it was for drawing them. The use of a gigantic bit-map menu system completely joystick-driven was "cool" but incredibly slow and cumbersome to use. The magnification mode used multicolor mode, which was just as awkward and it felt like it was utilized just to make use of the mode in some way, rather than being the best decision.

A friend of mine had GraphX, which was a predecessor to TI-Artist, at least in Triton's catalog. I don't remember much other than it did use key commands for a lot of the major operations.

I bought JoyPaint99 and found it to be the most usable bitmap program out there. It had a really nice GUI that was much easier to use, and a bigger paint area than the screen itself! The one problem with it was that it only worked in two colors, but its utility more than made up for that.

Beyond that, my favorite paint program was the Paint N'Print cartridge. It even still works in Classic99, which is awesome, and the zoom mode is just a 32x24 screen which is much easier to use.

I really liked TI Artist+, I used it a LOT... but admittedly, I never had any of the other paint programs for the TI. :)

Back in the day, that was the only program I had as well to make original graphics for newsletter submissions.

Maybe in the middle of next week when I have time, I'll see what, if anything remains.

One of the things I really loved about that program was that it made it easy to do make schematic diagrams for electronic projects as it already had many of the symbols for discrete components ready to insert.

I thought we already had a thread of old pics, but I can't find it. Still, most of the old pics I have either started life as GIF or I converted to GIF. What images specifically were you hoping to preserve? Cause if it's just old GIFs, I have way too many to post ;)

I gotta be honest though... TI-Artist was better for displaying pics than it was for drawing them. The use of a gigantic bit-map menu system completely joystick-driven was "cool" but incredibly slow and cumbersome to use. The magnification mode used multicolor mode, which was just as awkward and it felt like it was utilized just to make use of the mode in some way, rather than being the best decision.

A friend of mine had GraphX, which was a predecessor to TI-Artist, at least in Triton's catalog. I don't remember much other than it did use key commands for a lot of the major operations.

I bought JoyPaint99 and found it to be the most usable bitmap program out there. It had a really nice GUI that was much easier to use, and a bigger paint area than the screen itself! The one problem with it was that it only worked in two colors, but its utility more than made up for that.

Beyond that, my favorite paint program was the Paint N'Print cartridge. It even still works in Classic99, which is awesome, and the zoom mode is just a 32x24 screen which is much easier to use.

It was much improved with the mechatronic mouse.. My girlfriend back then was an artist and I couldn't get her to use it until I bought the mouse, then she'd hog my TI drawing things so I was forced to use the geneve while I waited :)

• Like 1

It was much improved with the mechatronic mouse.. My girlfriend back then was an artist and I couldn't get her to use it until I bought the mouse, then she'd hog my TI drawing things so I was forced to use the geneve while I waited :)

Yeah, TI-Artist with a mouse would be fantastic!

Yes, the mouse in the picture is the one from Mechatronik, very cool, and i have the one from Asgard too, very similar...

the 80col mouse of Ralf is very nice and it is a special rare item :)

the Trackball is very very cool, i use it too for some games but never tried for draw :) i have to try ;)

• Like 1