IGNORED

Has anyone made a 5200 Joystick PCB for the original controllers?

Lynxpro

I just wanted to know if anyone has built an actual PCB replacement for the CX52 joysticks. Seems like that would be a better route to go than adding gold contacts to the various revisions of the Flex circuits. Sure, it would probably make it a wiring mess like the Colecovision standard controllers but I'd speculate it would still be doable and reliable...

The mylar is paper thin. So how can you squeeze a pcb inside that is 4 times as thick?

How about starting with removing the plastic plate that it sits on and put threw holes where the poles go on

the pcb so you can have screws in place to hold it in position.

• Like 1

Here's this board you can build, don't think it'll fit into a controller, but I plan on puttting 2 of them into a 5200 4-port in controller spots 3 & 4 and tying them in with ports 1 & 2. I plan on taking out the 15 pin jacks and putting in 9 pin jacks.

Interesting idea… Could you condense that into a single PCB, install it inside the 5200, and then drill holes and mount the DB9s elsewhere? If you could somehow connect those to the 2600 Piggyback Parasite Adapter via the cartridge slot, that would be more aesthetically pleasant than hooking up the controllers to the adapter case.

I think the wiring could be managed easily enough. Drill small holes through the top section where the start,pause, and reset section lies to keep the wiring away from the sides and possibly getting in the way of the fire buttons, because you would also need to create two other smaller PCBs for those as well plus their wiring.

And yes, if you remove the support plate from the keypad area there should be plenty of room for a main interconnect PCB there. Hell, the original wiring harness already has a ZIF like connector on it that you could probably just stick onto the edge of the new pcb and that would be more secure and longer lasting than the mylar connection used currently and allow resuse of the original wiring without modification in this way.

I don't have the software or knowledge to design such a PCB but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult? Can even get small enough micro switches that could be surface mounted to reduce space even more. Similar to the tiny reset switch used on the turbo everdrive perhaps as an example?

In any design I would hope that all the wiring would be made with header pin connections or easy disconnects within the wiring to make maintenance and future repair on the controllers easier after the modifications.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 1

A custom PCB can be designed and sent off to get created for I believe a pretty much lesser cost than designing an entirely new controller?

The primary issue besides the lack of self centering is really the fact that the buttons and their connections to the mylar underneath sucks and doesn't improve with age. But then I assume you knew that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This would be a project that would turn into a huge pain, we just got a 5200 in at work ;-), and 3 of the controllers did not work, :lolblue: I took each one apart cleaning all of the contacts a long while, until they looked brand new, I put them back together and they worked no problem at all, these controllers are actually very fun until the sticks wear out or the rubber tears around them. But installing pcb board into them could be possible but it would be a major pain and in the long run I don't think it would be worth it :mad:. Just clean the flex-circuit/board over each contact where it meets and make sure its lined up when put back together!!! :rolling: That's why they are such a pain to get working properly they are rushed, these controllers are the kind that need all the love in the world. :-D

A custom PCB can be designed and sent off to get created for I believe a pretty much lesser cost than designing an entirely new controller?

The primary issue besides the lack of self centering is really the fact that the buttons and their connections to the mylar underneath sucks and doesn't improve with age. But then I assume you knew that?

Speaking of the self-centering issue, I can't find the webpage of the guy who took the thumbstick parts off an Xbox controller and installed it in his 5200 joystick so he could use it with the 5200 emulator on his modded Xbox. If one could do the reverse of his project and made the Xbox pot output the same values as the 5200 pot, then you'd have the self-centering issue resolved.