IGNORED

Wii U will reportedly cease production this year

The Wii U will cease production when I am damn well good and ready. And that's not by later this year...

But yes the Nintendo Smarthphone app looks pretty lame and I will not be downloading it. Club Nintendo was a joke and i'm sort of done with Nintendo unless the NX is the coolest gaming console since the NES

• Like 2

The Wii U will cease production when I am damn well good and ready. And that's not by later this year...

But yes the Nintendo Smarthphone app looks pretty lame and I will not be downloading it. Club Nintendo was a joke and i'm sort of done with Nintendo unless the NX is the coolest gaming console since the NES

I understand the second paragraph, but the first makes no sense. How long you'll use the Wii U hardware or wait for its successor doesn't dictate when production stops. It'll stop when Nintendo deems it necessary. And considering Nintendo's track record for poor to moderate selling hardware, it'll likely end abruptly right after or even right before the Nx comes out.

I understand the second paragraph, but the first makes no sense. How long you'll use the Wii U hardware or wait for its successor doesn't dictate when production stops. It'll stop when Nintendo deems it necessary. And considering Nintendo's track record for poor to moderate selling hardware, it'll likely end abruptly right after or even right before the Nx comes out.

lol buddy you take some comments far to seriously.........

• Like 1

I feel bad, some guy picking up Mario Kart 8 twenty years from now won't know what it feels like to race 200cc because it was a free DLC update that won't be available without a server to connect to. Neither will the extra cups and racers, which added a whopping 50% extra content to the game for $11.99. Or what if you want to play as Mewtoo or Bayonetta in Smash Bros... :sad:

Games won't be exactly as you remembered from your childhood if you can't get the DLC that went with it. Also physical Wii-U games will be scarce due to all the digital downloads Nintendo has been promoting...

Maybe Mike Kennedy was on to something??? :P

• Like 1

Just hope for a Nintendo Selects rerelease with the DLC bundled on the disc.

Not too hopeful that it happens since Pikmin 3 didn't include its DLC, but this one was much more visible and key to the online experience so it may stand a chance if Nintendo reissues it as a Nintendo Select.

• Like 1

The Wii U is a great system. We've had one for a couple years. I enjoy Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 8, and many of the other games immensely.

It's too bad that after the first couple years, Nintendo didn't see the writing on the wall and release a repackaged Wii U with regular controllers and not the expensive touch screen pad (which doesn't add much to a lot of the games anyway).

Edited by SuperCool
  • Like 1

The Wii U is a great system. We've had one for a couple years. I enjoy Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 8, and many of the other games immensely.

It's too bad that after the first couple years, Nintendo didn't see the writing on the wall and release a repackaged Wii U with regular controllers and not the expensive touch screen pad (which doesn't add much to a lot of the games anyway).

It's arguable that once Nintendo went down that path and with so many games expecting the presence of the second screen that it would have been impractical to de-couple the requirement, as well as losing the system's primary reason for existing, i.e., it was not designed to be a powerhouse system, but one with a unique value proposition in de facto off-TV play. As such, there's little reason to expect that a $199.99 Wii U sans gamepad and with Pro controller packed in instead would have been that much more appealing and made that much more difference in its historically low sales performance (for a Nintendo platform not named Virtual Boy). For better or worse, the Wii U was going to live or die by how the public responded to the idea of the gamepad. Of course, as we know, there were many other reasons why the public failed to respond to the system in general.

It's arguable that once Nintendo went down that path and with so many games expecting the presence of the second screen that it would have been impractical to de-couple the requirement, as well as losing the system's primary reason for existing, i.e., it was not designed to be a powerhouse system, but one with a unique value proposition in de facto off-TV play. As such, there's little reason to expect that a $199.99 Wii U sans gamepad and with Pro controller packed in instead would have been that much more appealing and made that much more difference in its historically low sales performance (for a Nintendo platform not named Virtual Boy). For better or worse, the Wii U was going to live or die by how the public responded to the idea of the gamepad. Of course, as we know, there were many other reasons why the public failed to respond to the system in general.

Of course, we don't know what may have happened if Nintendo went that route initially.... put the money into the horse power of the system instead of an expensive tablet. They would have ended up with a traditional console that may not have been too far off from the PS4 or Xbox One, but it has Nintendo franchises. Would that have been good enough? Hard to say. It probably would have still been under powered as it was released a year sooner, and components that would have made at more like the other two would have been more expensive. Going with x86-64 instead of another PowerPC chip.... it would have made porting easier today, but it would have put a big dent in BC.

Sometimes a response I get from those that got a Wii and don't spend as much time in this hobby as we do is that when you say Wii U, they sort of get it, but I am not sure if they know if it is anything more than another Wii with a tablet. That's a problem right there... of course as you said... there are so many other reasons why the public did not respond well.

Isn't Amiibos introduced with Wii-U, is it?

it's seen like Amiibos won't make Will-U popular either.

Amiibos are quite popular, but I suspect that a lot of that is more Amiibo sales as relatively inexpensive and desirable toys/collectibles than it is Amiibo's in any appreciable way driving Wii U (or 3DS) sales, game or hardware.

It was something I thought Nintendo should have done once the first Skylanders proved a market for toy-based gaming. While I think it would have been nice to have more profound integration with Amiibos than there presently are (and where the Nintendo version of a game like Disney Infinity? - perhaps that will be an NX thing and could be HUGE), it's clear it's something they'll continue to leverage going forward and something they can count on for diversification of revenue like their mobile gaming initiatives.

Mike Kennedy may be onto something, but not anything that makes sense....

Anyway, one bad thing about the system not being as successful is that it is unlikely you will see a physical re-releaase that includes the DLC. If you badly wanted to play Skyrim, Fallout 4, or played them, but want all of the DLC to play a few years from now, there are at least GOTY editions that include that. I don't see Nintendo doing this. My guess is that they are going to push for online distribution really hard for the NX... more so than the other two companies have done already. The rumor is no optical drive? We have speculated that there might be some sort of distribution via flash memory cards or something, but we really don't know. The promotion towards more downloads now might be the mental preparation for that is they way it is going to be....

Count me out. I don't have the kind of broad band access for 30-50 gig downloads.....

I feel bad, some guy picking up Mario Kart 8 twenty years from now won't know what it feels like to race 200cc because it was a free DLC update that won't be available without a server to connect to. Neither will the extra cups and racers, which added a whopping 50% extra content to the game for $11.99. Or what if you want to play as Mewtoo or Bayonetta in Smash Bros... :sad:

Games won't be exactly as you remembered from your childhood if you can't get the DLC that went with it. Also physical Wii-U games will be scarce due to all the digital downloads Nintendo has been promoting...

Maybe Mike Kennedy was on to something??? :P

Sometimes a response I get from those that got a Wii and don't spend as much time in this hobby as we do is that when you say Wii U, they sort of get it, but I am not sure if they know if it is anything more than another Wii with a tablet. That's a problem right there... of course as you said... there are so many other reasons why the public did not respond well.

Yes, we've talked about that a lot in the past. There is no question at this point that both average consumers and even retailers had a VERY hard time distinguishing Wii U from Wii. Nintendo had a branding/marketing issue. Normally, that wouldn't have been as much of a problem as it turned out to be (i.e., it's normally a surmountable issue), but part of what exasperated the issue was how sales for the Wii dropped off a cliff in its final few years, including Nintendo support, leaving zero momentum upon the Wii U launch. That's part of the downside of having so much success like the Wii did with casuals. They treat it more like a fad than an ongoing experience, and don't necessarily stay with the product long term or bother buying the next new thing. That's why I absolutely believe the NX will have zero native backwards compatibility and will have a totally different name and look from its predecessors. This is pure clean break.

• Like 1

Anyway, one bad thing about the system not being as successful is that it is unlikely you will see a physical re-releaase that includes the DLC. If you badly wanted to play Skyrim, Fallout 4, or played them, but want all of the DLC to play a few years from now, there are at least GOTY editions that include that. I don't see Nintendo doing this. My guess is that they are going to push for online distribution really hard for the NX... more so than the other two companies have done already. The rumor is no optical drive? We have speculated that there might be some sort of distribution via flash memory cards or something, but we really don't know. The promotion towards more downloads now might be the mental preparation for that is they way it is going to be....

The way they are doing it is definitely a problem. The content is tied to a device and is never packed in later with a game. Take Mario Kart 8 for instance, I highly doubt you will ever see a complete physical version of it.

It depends on the publisher though. 2K games initially released a "complete" version of Borderlands years ago and when users found out the content was not on disc they re-published it with the content on disc (after complaints). Bethesda's complete versions of Skyrim and the game Dishonored all have on disc content so those are good. You really need to dig to find out with some of them.

I'm fond of physical copies but I've also embraced digital downloads (since I dont have infinite space)......if done the right way or that I find acceptable (Steam).

Yes... Steam's way is tolerable to me. If it has save cloud support (many games do) and cross play with Mac/Win/Linux (SteamPlay) so much the better.

Is Nintendo doing itself any good by being fairly silent? Aren't they going to have to start being more concrete about somethings and get some excitement going. We have mostly rumor and speculation to go on

There are deals, including for 1st party releases, that are well under $39.99. Pikmin 3 for instance is $19.99 these days, unlike what's shown in that ad from earlier in the Wii U's life.

I'm not really a Pikmin fan, but it was the free game I chose when I got Mario Kart 8. That was actually a really great deal from Nintendo, i.e., buy Mario Kart 8 and they give you your choice of a selection of free games. I would have went with Zelda, but I already had versions of it. What's funny is that Mario Kart 8 probably didn't need the assistance and that promotion should have been reserved for one of the lesser tier games.

Or the fact they simply didn't advertise it on prime time. A few commercials here and there on Cartoon Network didn't cut the muster. Nintendo had a year headstart to advertise the hell out of the thing and chose to sit back and let the console sell itself.