IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

I wonder how the master system/game gear portable sold. I haven't seen any at family dollar lately and they didn't sell out right away either. I figure they didn't sell that well.

We haven't worked on a unit like for several years, so that should tell you something. Some of those games may get worked into the main Genesis products at some point in the future, though.

I don't believe so, but onmode-ky would likely know who.

Guess what ... I just found a thread I started about it ... 10 years ago ... http://atariage.com/forums/topic/94760-new-coleco-handheld-with-sega-games-on-it-other-games/page-1

Looks like it was started by Playpal (dead links) then possibly adopted/licensed by AtGames for other products, including a TV unit where you use Sonic's fist as a joystick. Also some links to coleco.com (more dead links)

My ongoing interest in these little handhelds is pretty ridiculous.

On a positive note, I was at a movie sneak peek last night, playing my Atari handheld. Usually I'd be on my phone before the show, but Disney collects anything with a camera before these unreleased shows are screened. A guy behind me was VERY interested in the machine, so I gave him a quick demo and pointed him to eBay as the best place to get them. He thought that VCS Pac-Man was the best version ever made! That's some powerful nostalgia right there.

• Like 4

We haven't worked on a unit like for several years, so that should tell you something. Some of those games may get worked into the main Genesis products at some point in the future, though.

Wow, if they do that I hope the SD card lets you play them too. That would be the ultimate value. And including the best GG/Genesis games in one portable by default would also be nice. I'm so tired of those genesis games that always get re-released. 20 Genesis games, 20 game gear games, and then some of those ones you guys made.

Bill, if you have influence, you should ask them if they can make it so it saves where your cursor last was on the game list. So every time you go back to it the cursor starts where you last were. That'd be really useful on sd card lists too.

Menu setups/UI should be changing in 2017 along with some of the hardware for most of the products. The ones being worked on now have convenience features along those lines.

On a positive note, I was at a movie sneak peek last night, playing my Atari handheld. Usually I'd be on my phone before the show, but Disney collects anything with a camera before these unreleased shows are screened. A guy behind me was VERY interested in the machine, so I gave him a quick demo and pointed him to eBay as the best place to get them. He thought that VCS Pac-Man was the best version ever made! That's some powerful nostalgia right there.

Heh.. I remember the was a lot of hoopla and all that surrounding the game. And us little kids were practically made to believe VCS Pac-Man was state-of-the-art and and was actually very very good. Accurate & fun. Though I never got into Pac-Man anything other than dabbling with a few far more accurate clones from like H.A.L. labs & Atarisoft on the Apple II.

But it did serve to increase the contrast between home and arcade. It gave more meaning to the words true arcade. So when I got a whiff of ColecoVision and the arcade experience I was blown away. For a while.

• Like 1

I wonder how the master system/game gear portable sold. I haven't seen any at family dollar lately and they didn't sell out right away either. I figure they didn't sell that well.

Don't you mean Genesis? Dollar General and Walgreens only had the Genesis units last night. I went to Target today and ironically they had the Flashback 7s but the Genesis stuff was sold out. No SKU or anything for the Atari portable.

I picked up the FB7 since I've neglected to get one in past years and it's got the best selection and rumored to be the last version with legacy video outputs. It's going under the tree this year as Christmas present to myself! :D

• Like 1

Don't you mean Genesis? Dollar General and Walgreens only had the Genesis units last night. I went to Target today and ironically they had the Flashback 7s but the Genesis stuff was sold out. No SKU or anything for the Atari portable.

I picked up the FB7 since I've neglected to get one in past years and it's got the best selection and rumored to be the last version with legacy video outputs. It's going under the tree this year as Christmas present to myself! :D

No, one year they had a master system/game gear model.

No, one year they had a master system/game gear model.

In 2006.

Is this the one? Far right. Mine says AtGames on it.

th_IMG_20161119_162739_zpscwntkjoe.jpg

MrBlackCat

. . . Fighting to ignore improper use of the computing term "emulator" . . . Hmm, I guess I lost the fight.

Is this the one? Far right. Mine says AtGames on it.

The Noza SMS/GG-on-a-chip was first used in a retail product in 2006, as Flojomojo noted, but the products that used it back then were largely not marketed by AtGames. Back then, the brands of handheld and plug-n-play systems that used Noza in (slightly differing) 20-in-1 collections included Coleco, Playpal, Funplay, and Power Shock. Years later, after making at least one unnamed product (a 12-in-1 plug-n-play gamepad) using the Noza, AtGames marketed a pair of 30-in-1 Noza-based systems (not simultaneously, but I don't know which came first and when they each first appeared--something like 2009-2013, though). The Poga was a rather homely yellow gamepad plug-n-play, and the curiously named Arcade Gamer Portable was a handheld with TV-out capability. If your handheld is AtGames-branded and has 30 games on it, it's the Arcade Gamer Portable. Incidentally, it and the Poga differ in their game selections by 2 titles.

For detail on what games are on the systems mentioned above, check out the Retro Plug-n-Play Video Game System Contents page at my website (and search for "sms").

onmode-ky

P.S. If I remember correctly, Curt Vendel played a role of some sort in the creation of that first wave of Noza-based products.

<snip>

The Poga was a rather homely yellow gamepad plug-n-play, and the curiously named Arcade Gamer Portable was a handheld with TV-out capability. If your handheld is AtGames-branded and has 30 games on it, it's the Arcade Gamer Portable. Incidentally, it and the Poga differ in their game selections by 2 titles.

<snip>

onmode-ky

P.S. If I remember correctly, Curt Vendel played a role of some sort in the creation of that first wave of Noza-based products.

Thanks for the information...

Also, this particular device differs from the others in the AtGames handheld line in that it doesn't have rechargeable batteries or an SD card slot. It does come with AV out however. :) Build quality is the same as the others in the line, though it is the smallest for sure. Mine shows 07/2013 on the identification decal.

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

Hey all,

I just got an email from Dollar General and from 11-20 to 11-23...Atari Flashback 7 is on sale $28 and available online.

We don't have Dollar General around here, just Family Dollar and Dollar Tree (Which wouldn't count unless something sells for $1 haha)...But I think I bought my Coleco FB from them and ended up on their mailing list...I'm trying to save every penny right now, but even I'm pretty tempted at $28....Maybe I'll throw one on the old credit card. :)

http://www.dollargeneral.com/on-sale/4-day-sale-11-20-11-23.html?WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=DefaultCampaign&WT.z_campdate=11202016

I think the Atari Portable is was more fun than yet another TV console, plus the SD card opens up hundreds of other things to play, but maybe that's just me and my mostly-no-TV lifestyle.

Oh, I'm definitely looking forward to the Portable! Mine still hasn't shown up yet... :( But I'm thinking tomorrow maybe :) We had 63 degree weather today, but Thursday when the Portable was supposed to be delivered (according to the tracking number), we had a snowstorm that shut down 2 Interstates...

Hey all,

I just got an email from Dollar General and from 11-20 to 11-23...Atari Flashback 7 is on sale $28 and available online.

We don't have Dollar General around here, just Family Dollar and Dollar Tree (Which wouldn't count unless something sells for $1 haha)...But I think I bought my Coleco FB from them and ended up on their mailing list...I'm trying to save every penny right now, but even I'm pretty tempted at $28....Maybe I'll throw one on the old credit card. :)

http://www.dollargeneral.com/on-sale/4-day-sale-11-20-11-23.html?WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=DefaultCampaign&WT.z_campdate=11202016

Nothing on sale at all. All the Dollar Generals in my area only stock the Sega stuff. The manager at one store I went to said a lot of people were asking about those. I said screw it and picked my Flashback at Target for $49.99 USD. And Black Friday sales are a crap shoot whether any stock remains after the lines are gone... :sad:

Nothing on sale at all. All the Dollar Generals in my area only stock the Sega stuff. The manager at one store I went to said a lot of people were asking about those. I said screw it and picked my Flashback at Target for $49.99 USD. And Black Friday sales are a crap shoot whether any stock remains after the lines are gone... :sad:

I don't know about the actual stores, as I said we don't have any...But that link works to buy online if anyone is interested. Shipping (for me anyway) was about $7...So it'd be $35 if someone is looking...

I don't know about the actual stores, as I said we don't have any...But that link works to buy online if anyone is interested. Shipping (for me anyway) was about $7...So it'd be $35 if someone is looking...

I had already seen this in my email also. Thank you for posting it, as I think it is odd/new that a Black Friday sale is extended to on-line sales. I don't leave the house on Black Friday. A Black Friday sale you can purchase from on the internet is especially valuable to rational people. (Ha!)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 2

Must be a regional thing. DGs are everywhere in the deep south.

And I guess I overpaid $15+tax by picking one up at Target. :P

• Like 1

Dollar General is basically the Mississippi River valley, eastward.

West of there, I likely have more Dollar General stores just in the rural county I live in here in upstate New York than the chain does in the entire American West. And here, they're so prevalent and everywhere that they're even popping up now in unincorporated hamlets with populations that are measured in the hundreds.

I doubt Wyoming even has one, although Cheyenne is a good size place thanks to growing up with the Union Pacific and being a big railroad town (And in time, the capital of the state).

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2