IGNORED

Which Companies Made the Best Games?

xulchris

Right, but they are certainly not hacks of each other as Room 34 suggests may be the case with some of the Bomb titles.  Nor is Galaxian considered a hack of Space Invaders although they are both very similar.

no i agree, they are not hacks. I never said they were, someone else suggested they might be tho. I just mentioned that they seem similar.

Right, but they are certainly not hacks of each other as Room 34 suggests may be the case with some of the Bomb titles.  Nor is Galaxian considered a hack of Space Invaders although they are both very similar.

Sorry... I didn't mean to suggest that I thought Wall Defender was a hack. I was thinking about Assault and Z-Tack. (Mainly Z-Tack.)

Sorry... I didn't mean to suggest that I thought Wall Defender was a hack. I was thinking about Assault and Z-Tack. (Mainly Z-Tack.)

Yeah, I can see where you're going with Z-Tack and Assault. I'd run clonespy on them to see how similar they really are, but I have a Mac and can't run exe files.

I searched the mega CloneSpy list from the ROM Genealogy thread currently going in this forum for "Z-Tack", and here's all I came up with:

55  743	Base_Attack_(AKA_Z-Tack_Laser-Loop_Sky_Scrapper)_(PAL)   3810

Cosmic_Town_(ITT_Family_Games)_(PAL)  3806 (298)  92.21% (92.17%, 92.26%)

Lunar_Attack_by_Steve_Engelhardt  3795 (305)  91.91% (91.96%, 91.86%)

Z-Tack_(Bomb)  3806 (304)  92.06% (92.01%, 92.10%)

744	Cosmic_Town_(ITT_Family_Games)_(PAL)   3806

Lunar_Attack_by_Steve_Engelhardt  3795 (24)  99.25% (99.37%, 99.13%)

Z-Tack_(Bomb)  3806 (6)  99.84% (99.84%, 99.84%)

745	Lunar_Attack_by_Steve_Engelhardt   3795

Z-Tack_(Bomb)  3806 (27)  99.41% (99.29%, 99.53%)

746	Z-Tack_(Bomb)   3806

Atari gets excused somewhat for the poor quality of some early games because the system was in its infancy.  And it regains every bit of blame it was excused for there, with the abominable Pac-Man and E.T.  But Atari also made some really great games throughout the lifespan of the system, both proving that extremely rudimentary games can become classics if the gameplay is good enough, and also surprising us in the later years with the complexity and depth they were able to wring out of the system.

So it's a mixed bag with Atari.

And that's the worst part - by the time they were REALLY taking advantage of what a 2600 could do, with games like Jr. Pac-Man, Midnight Magic, and Road Runner, the VCS was already on the way out. Consequently the better the "Atari" game is, the harder it is to find and the more you'll pay for it. D'oh!!

my guilty pleasure company is Data Age. With the possible exception of bugs (tho for some reason I at least like all paddle games,) I at least liked all their games. I loved encounter at l-5, warplock, bermuda triangle, and frankensteins monster. And, much as it pains me to admit it, there was always something about Journey Escape that I liked. Heck I can remember making a tape of the music to 2600 journey escape to listen to. And an animated intro with music and sound... wow. no wonder i became such an intro addict in the c=64 days...

/me runs to the dark corner to hide with the other few Data Age lovers

Right now I'm collecting Atari, Activision, Coleco, Parker Bros., M Network, and Imagic games.  But which companies do you guys think made the best atari 2600 games?  I'm thinking about expanding my collection, and would like to know how games from other companies compare with the games I already have.

Thanks.

XYPE comes to mind.

OK everyone, we need to do an intervention with Godzilla.  Not only does he like Star Ship, but JOURNEY ESCAPE too!  *Tsk tsk*

I like e.t., radiers of the lost ark, laser blast, AND atari's original pac-man, too! (NOTE that I said -LIKE- (not love,))

well, thats a lie, I did love E.T. and Raiders....

Jeez... and to think I've been wasting time teasing liquid_sky about how much he hates Sky Diver when you've been here waiting for my much-deserved ridicule all along! :evil:

Hey... just kiddin' man... to each his own. And believe me, you're definitely welcome to have Journey Escape, Star Ship, and E.T. all to yourself! :P

Anyone who openly admits that they love E.T. has issues  :D  

Luckily we are putting together a support group to help you overcome your dementia  :D

you are one of them, one the government agents, trying to get me to fall into the pit, aren't you?

I never really understood why people didn't like E.T., I mean if you are such a shitty player and you can't figure out how to run around the pits or how easy it is to get right back out (hold button the second u go into pit,) don't blame E.T. just blame your inept skills and reflexes.

you are one of them, one the government agents, trying to get me to fall into the pit, aren't you?

It's actually a big government consipracy. You see, some savvy dveloper embedded an easter egg in ET that if unlocked gives you a detailed map to the undisclosed location where they filmed the landing on the moon, Elvis' real home and Jimmy Hoffa's burial place. Think about the security risk had more people played ET obsessively enough to find out this compromising information. :D

• 7 years later...

even King Kong is pretty decent.

I like this game too. It looks fugly, but a lot easier on the eyes than Coleco's Donkey Kong for the VCS. Plus, the blue cart is the best looking one in my collection.

Those companies you're collecting for are all good. CBS Electronics is another good company.

Omega Race (need the booster grip or a colecovision controller)

Wizard of Wor

Those two and Gorf has always been one of my favorites

Parker Bros., Activision, and Atari.

I'm going to go with Parker Bros. as being the best third party developer.

I'm also going to go with Sega. Tapper is looks amazing and is very difficult. I love Tac/Scan and Sub/Scan as well.

even King Kong is pretty decent.

I like this game too. It looks fugly, but a lot easier on the eyes than Coleco's Donkey Kong for the VCS. Plus, the blue cart is the best looking one in my collection.

Those companies you're collecting for are all good. CBS Electronics is another good company.

Omega Race (need the booster grip or a colecovision controller)

Wizard of Wor

Those two and Gorf has always been one of my favorites

Parker Bros., Activision, and Atari.

I'm going to go with Parker Bros. as being the best third party developer.

I'm also going to go with Sega. Tapper is looks amazing and is very difficult. I love Tac/Scan and Sub/Scan as well.

Sega also made Thunderground, Up and Down and Spy Hunter. I just wish they made more games