IGNORED

Which is one video game console that you do not own but wish you did?

You do know that with a modchip and a region free BIOS you can get by ..... or for many games (but not all) just PseudoSaturn installed on an AR/MemCardPlus

[it bypasses both region and original checks .... but a few games have issues, still you may get a sense of what you're getting into before plunging in head first and shell the dough for originals like PDS :) ].

I'm not big into ROMs- if I didn't care about originals, I'd setup for emulation and skip having the consoles entirely.

Interestingly enough, I had a co-worker years ago who was moving and selling off their game collection, including Panzer Dragoon Saga. Unfortunately, it was right before PAX and my savings was tied up in hotel costs. I simply couldn't make anything close to a reasonable offer. Which is fine, PDS isn't high on my list... but Magic Knight Rayearth, Dragonforce, Guardian Heroes... yeah. :(

Emulating the console isn't the same at all than just playing ROMs.For CD especially, they are just a bounch of data : of added chips for sounds, no extra RAM, etc. The only difference you might have might be in data transfert speed, but even this part can be simulated so the loading times are identical.

With the console you're still limited to the hardware shortcomings but also benefit from playing conditions that are, well, the real conditions.

The Vectrex was unique for being one of a kind when it comes to home consoles. If there had been more manufacturers offering vector based displays, possibly technology to emit beams of different colours besides the use of overlays, I think the Vectrex system would not stand out as much as it does.

Emulating the console isn't the same at all than just playing ROMs.For CD especially, they are just a bounch of data : of added chips for sounds, no extra RAM, etc. The only difference you might have might be in data transfert speed, but even this part can be simulated so the loading times are identical.

With the console you're still limited to the hardware shortcomings but also benefit from playing conditions that are, well, the real conditions.

I know, but I'm the weirdo who genuinely loves the authentic game. I will sit around looking at box/label/disc art. Seriously, I will stare at a disc, wiggling it around in the light to catch the edges of the screen printing & noting the different 'depths' each color is at. If I can't do that, then it loses a good chunk of the charm for me. Just a quirk of mine, I guess. (And for the record- yes, it's very hard for me to accept when a modern game I want is download only. I've skipped a lot of stuff I wanted with no physical copy.)

• Like 3

I have always wanted a Turbo Duo. I even remember trying to buy one back in the day... I saved money for months and when I finally had enough, I couldn't find a local store that sold them. :( I eventually picked up a TG16, but I still want a Duo.

My second most wanted console is the Neo Geo AES. I have only seen one in person once, and that was at an overpriced retro game store. It was for sale for an insane price, so I passed. Put it this way, you could pick up A FEW MVS's for that kind of money!

I've also been on the hunt for a Sega CD. I had friends that had them, but I never did. I did figure out how to emulate it, so at least I can play some of the games, but I'd love to have the real thing.

My latest obsession is finding an original Famicom or a Twin Famicom. I'd love to find one locally to avoid paying $40 for shipping the thing from Japan. I did have a line on an original Famicom at a local shop, but it was gone before I could buy it.

And for those who do not have a Vectrex, they are awesome and worth every penny. Most of the games for it are great, too!

• Like 1

I still have most of the stuff I had as a kid so Atari 2600/7800,NES,Genesis with 32X and Sega CD and the power base converter to play SMS games, Saturn, PS1, and even a working Jaguar. I wish I could experience the Vectrex so that would be number one followed closely by Jaguar CD, and then a Neo Geo AES or Turbo Graphix 16.

• Like 1

I wish I could experience the Vectrex

It's pretty cool but pretty useless as a gaming device IMO. The best game for it is the built in Asteroids clone IMO. I recently got the vec multi (great device) and got to play the vectrex library (not so great).It's a super cool relic but I wouldn't say it's the funnest thing I've ever owned or anything like that.

• Like 1

It's pretty cool but pretty useless as a gaming device IMO. The best game for it is the built in Asteroids clone IMO. I recently got the vec multi (great device) and got to play the vectrex library (not so great).It's a super cool relic but I wouldn't say it's the funnest thing I've ever owned or anything like that.

QFT. Exactly how I feel. The hardware is nice but there's just not enough software (yet) to make it a killer system.

QFT. Exactly how I feel. The hardware is nice but there's just not enough software (yet) to make it a killer system.

And software does matter look at the Virtual Boy.....nope no desire. I think the Vectrex would be one of those random trade deals or just something I come across someplace hopefully so it does not empty my wallet.

Still Jaguar CD still peaks my interest.

And software does matter look at the Virtual Boy.....nope no desire. I think the Vectrex would be one of those random trade deals or just something I come across someplace hopefully so it does not empty my wallet.

Still Jaguar CD still peaks my interest.

Given the Jag CD doesn't exactly have a library to behold and one that is extremely small at that, what's the intriguing part?

[spoiler: I have a Jag CD and tried all of the official library .... ]

What are you missing?

I believe I am in the same boat wrt consoles I care for, namely I'm almost done, but I do have Marty, GX4000, CD32 but no super a'can, pippin, and miss "few" 8 bits

Mostly I'm missing the unicorns, foreign-onlys, a ton of clones, and a few of those crappy edutainment systems. I'll throw a partial off-the-top-of-my-head list below. Generally the ones I have left are in the 'juice not worth the squeeze' category. Most of my monies these days go to larger game lots, arcade boards, and cables/attachments/mods for getting RGB out of things.

missing:

rca studio ii

arcadia

odyssey I

cd32

cdi (passed one one at the thrifts, regretted it slightly ever since)

ique

super a'can

pippen

marty

halcyon

laseractive

c64gs

gx4000

mega duck/cougar boy

a big one I'm missing is any way to play turbografx cd games.

the more obscure side of what I do have (many of which are obscure because they are crap):

vectrex (I guess it's in that category, as it features in this thread)

Visteon dvd/gba combo

Nuon

turbo express

jag cd

Omega MVS

3do

xegs

Neo geo pocket (non-color model)

wonderswans

both cybikos (I have an awful lot of the first one for some reason)

2 nomads

2 virtual boys, one is a rental unit

gamewave

action max

pico

sega IR7000 (note passing device)

2x r-zone xpgs

pokemon mini

astrocade (though it's broken, naturally)

xavixport

supervision

I'm sure something in there is appropriately rare.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Given the Jag CD doesn't exactly have a library to behold and one that is extremely small at that, what's the intriguing part?

[spoiler: I have a Jag CD and tried all of the official library .... ]

So intriguing for me is weather or not having 2 towers of power will blow the circuit in my game room. Or rather in terms of Lord of the Rings I would like to have the 2 towers Which one would be Minus Morgal and which one would be Orthanc would be the question and one power strip to rule them all. :D

Mostly I'm missing the unicorns, foreign-onlys, a ton of clones, and a few of those crappy edutainment systems. I'll throw a partial off-the-top-of-my-head list below. Generally the ones I have left are in the 'juice not worth the squeeze' category. Most of my monies these days go to larger game lots, arcade boards, and cables/attachments/mods for getting RGB out of things.

You've got stuff in there I didn't even know it existed :) , luckily I am not into handhelds for some god blessing reason ... I tried (I have a NGPocket B&W and a Color, a GBMicro and that's it) I don't like much of any of them ... mind you not the games, the handhelds themselves .... too tiny, too crammed etc....

Regarding home consoles I always use the VideoGameConsoleLibrary as "THE LIST", if it ain't there it doesn't exists for me (which is another way to maintain my own sanity), and past Y2K I have to admit I stayed mainstream only (so Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony products) if you exclude 10US$ flea market bargain OnLive micro console which I used for over 1Y before the service went dark and in doing so I realized that those 300ms delays don't play well with twitchy arcade games. All in all 10US$ well spent in figuring out that pure Internet game streaming wasn't there yet (OnLive went dark April 20 2015 so not too long ago). I didn't play OnLive much mind you (maybe 7 or 8 times as they had a free trial on their games, never opened a subscription either) but it was enough .... the controller wasn't bad, the idea .... just too soon (like Internet movie streaming in the late 90s [modem 57600 .... ouch] .... no no, too soon).

Now for the real folly: I ended up with 3 SMS, first was a Jap with FM support (because I wanted to try it and I was traveling in Asia and stumbled on one relatively fairly priced), then a bargain US (to which I added the FM board v 2.0) then a EU SMS2 with the VDP2 (for those 2 Codemasters games that use the extra display modes, and Xenon 2 in color at the right speed of 50Hz) .... that's the only way I found to play the whole SMS library .... as of today likely an EU SMS2 + FM board V2.2 + 50/60Hz switch would play the complete catalog with correct FM support .... well not so 3Y+ ago when I acquired them!!!! Luckily SMS are/were really cheap (Jap excluded).

I spent quite a bundle in adding RGB support to all the consoles I had as you're doing, at the beginning I was going for SVideo only and it went great until I purchased a couple of EU consoles .... the el-cheapo converters were so so (and although they managed to do PAL60 they could never do NTSC50 with colors .... and I wanted to play Xenon 2 SMS and MD at 50Hz, RGB does not have the issue at all obviously) .... I took the plunge and a wad of cash later I had an XRGB Mini .... time to find RGB cables, build sync strippers and what not .... I'm still not done :grin: but I lost a little steam in going at it.

• Like 1

Hmm, good question.

I'd like an original rubber keyed Spectrum, 48k of course, maybe a Jupiter Ace and a Grundy Newbrain, though I appreciate they are not really consoles, but home computers.

In console terms, a Vectrex, Atari 5200, Sega Saturn and NES.

I do get a lot of NES action via my Android based emulator, but it isn't the same!

Going one bigger, I would love an original Atari Gauntlet 4 player coin op!