IGNORED

Star Fox Zero on Wii U

Flojomojo

Star Fox Zero. I've only done the tutorial and the first level, and I can definitely see how it might turn someone off on the first attempt -- just like Kid Icarus Uprising, Sin and Punishment, or Robotron 2084, it has a control scheme where you can move in one direction while shooting in another. That's going to be polarizing, especially when the other Star Fox games are point and shoot.

The controls are great though -- the motion controls are calibrated well and are way more accurate than the thumb sticks, which is what you need for a fast 3D shooter. 2 views at any given time let you see the whole field AND what you're aiming at. Left trigger gives you a padlock view of your enemies, and pushing in on the left stick recalibrates your aiming reticle.
The "instrumentation" is straightforward and stays out of your way -- it's the same stuff as in Star Fox 64, a life meter, your golden ring count, and an energy bar for boost and retro tricks. It's good that it's so spare because the action is VERY busy. The first level takes place in Corneria City, and the familiar setting makes it easier to get settled into the game.
It's going to take some practice, but I can tell that I'm going to enjoy the arcade-sim tone of this game. For someone who wants to play in truly 3-dimensional space, I don't think it's significantly more complex than the average FPS that asks you to manage an inventory of weapons and not get lost in maze-like levels.
There's not anything else like it on console except perhaps Elite Dangerous on the Bone, which is probably a lot less straightforward to play but possibly easier to learn.

Regarding the "the motion controls are more accurate than the joysticks", that may be, but with games like Splatoon I could never aim properly with motion. Accurate or not, I had better response times and had less wrist strain when using the joysticks in that game.

Except unlike Splatoon, this is forced. No choice. They can port the game with proper controls to the NX and I will consider a purchase.

I remember them saying they opted to never make a new f-zero since they couldn't figure out a way to shove a motion/screen gimmick down its throat.

I remember being angry because I wanted a new f-zero. Now? Kinda glad they didn't rape the franchise. While I love Starfox, there hasn't been a good one since the n64 game (and subsequent remake on 3ds). So it doesn't sting as much.

Yeah I'm annoyed at the whole "innovative control" thing.. the last one was stylus control on the DS. I mean is it that hard to make a straightforward Starfox game? Take your basic on-rails Afterburner shmup, get some majestic sweeping space battle music, dog fighting around and flying through big capital ships going through tight corridors avoiding pillars, etc. Come on! I'd even settle for a re-imagining of the first game.

But whatever.. I got it. Take my money Nintendo ;P

• Like 1

Yeah I'm annoyed at the whole "innovative control" thing.. the last one was stylus control on the DS. I mean is it that hard to make a straightforward Starfox game? Take your basic on-rails Afterburner shmup, get some majestic sweeping space battle music, dog fighting around and flying through big capital ships going through tight corridors avoiding pillars, etc. Come on! I'd even settle for a re-imagining of the first game.

But whatever.. I got it. Take my money Nintendo ;P

Ugh don't bring that game up. I'm getting a hand cramp just remembering Command...

That was my first genuine "wow....Nintendo screwed up a famous IP?" moment I had. Tore me to pieces. Bought that pos day one. I still hate it like the day it was new.

I would have bought this instantly yesterday but read up about the wonky controls. Instant pass for me. All they needed to do was allow me to play it like it was one of the first two Star Fox games and I would have been happy. Sorry Nintendo, I'll wait until you either patch in traditional controls or the game drops to $20 or less. This is Star Fox--it thrives on simplicity, something you clearly haven't realized since Star Fox 64.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Guest LiqMat

I read somewhere if you concentrate on the controller screen more than the TV the game will make more sense if that makes any sense? Haven't played yet, but it sounds bizarre.

• Like 1

I got it today. I hated motion controls but eventually came around to Prime 3 and I'm ready to give this a real go. Wonky or not I want to see this world on the Wii U. I'm also quite curious about the Guard pack-in. I had to go to the in laws today so it'll be a Sunday game but I'm looking forward to it. Odd game and all. I did a run through Star Fox 64 last two weeks ago and it's still one of my favorite games and I'm ready to check this out.

If only Nintendo did this with traditional controls.. ya know... like the N64 game, and they'd make money. Sadly, this games inevitably poor sales will be an excuse for them to not touch the franchise for another 5-10 years.

I will ignore this posts, and write it off as you being a hater trolling, because I want to keep my good mood through the sunday. But deep inside I know you're right.

Nintendo wants to set themselves appart from all other companies. They don't seem to realyze they can do that by just releasing a tradition on rails shooter, because there's basically no one doing something like that.

I made it through the first 4 levels. I find myself mostly looking at the gamepad. The all range targeting thing causes some truly odd visuals at times. So far my biggest gripe is the right stick use. I constantly found myself boosting by accident. Constantly changing control contexts was very hard to keep up with. I'm not going to write it off, I had some good fun so far, but man is it an adjustment. I find the aiming to be good and often wish it was just a focus on first person on the TV. Definitely too much going on.

All in all I'm glad it wasn't a Star Fox 64 clone I just find the controls hard to keep track of yet. I'm guessing we'll see quite a few 'Beat only using <whatever>' type videos.

• Like 1

I will ignore this posts, and write it off as you being a hater trolling, because I want to keep my good mood through the sunday. But deep inside I know you're right.

Nintendo wants to set themselves appart from all other companies. They don't seem to realize they can do that by just releasing a tradition on rails shooter, because there's basically no one doing something like that.

What are you talking about? We talk in these forums all the time and often have the same view in things. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean it's fair to call me a hater or a troll.

My passion comes from my love of these IPs Nintendo owns. It angers me when they won't release a new game in a franchise other than Mario or Zelda unless they shove some gimmick down its throat. It's the reason we haven't seen a new f-zero or a new metroid, and it's why we got this Starfox title.

But hey, no, I must be just blindly being a troll with no logical argument. Because, after all, my view is perfectly in line with typical troll posts like "Nintendo games r 4 babies, dumb Mario fagggz". /s

And regardless of the control scheme, it's still a mediocre starfox game. They base these new Starfox games on the n64 game, when they should base them off the snes title. Looking past the graphics and voice acting, the n64 game is not nearly as challenging, nor offers the same atmosphere or diversity. When these new starfox games let their inspiration be the n64 title, it turns out to be a watered down version of an already watered down sequel. I love the n64 game, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason why there hasn't been a great starfox game since.

And it's two things. They're usually based in the n64 game and they always shove some stupid gimmick down its throat.

Assualt: based in the n64 game. Concentrated on the on foot missions.

Command: inspired by a significantly better unreleased title, implemented with shoddy touch controls.

Zero: based in the n64 game. Implemented motion controls that don't fully work. Missing modes and lack of replayability with a surprising lack of challenge other than the controls constantly going out of whack.

Again, if you like the game, that's awesome. I also think GTA isn't fun, and millions would disagree with me. We all have opinions here, which is the point of a forum, for discussion. Just because it's different than yours doesn't mean users should be shut down. Come up with an educated argument instead of telling people they're trolling, and you'll just happen to get a discussion worth having. Sorry you disagree, but it was because of Assaults' bad sales that caused us to have to wait this long for a new console starfox title.

That's not trolling, that's fact. And it ticks me off because they didn't take into account that the game was poorly done, there was NO advertising for the game so most didn't know it even existed, and at that point the GameCube was already on its death bed.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 3

What are you talking about?

Sorry man, I was making a joke, as I did write "deep down I know you're right". I was just imitating these nintendo fans I see all the time who will have this attitude. "you don't like this game? well, you're just a nintendo hater".

I think Star Fox kinda hurts me more than any other game, because it's the most unique franchise from nintendo that I enjoy. I really like mario too, but I can get my fix of good platformers without mario. No one does anything close to Star Fox nowadays, and nintendo comes out and messes up the game... I completely agree. I want an on-rails Star Fox. Star fox one was an amazing game even with severe technical problems. The graphics were kinda bad, it ran at poor framerate and the d-pad was suboptimal to controll the ship. Not they have the tools to fix every single problem the game had. Why can't they just make a good onm-rails shooter? Aren't they all about games that are easy to pick up and play, but have depth so you can keep playing. Seems they went the complete oposite route here. Why? Just to justify that tablet? The tablet is fine. I don#t need to swing it around every single game I play.

To be honest after reading reviews what makes me angrier is not the motion controlls. Maybe I'd enjoy that. But a 3 hours campaign for 60 bucks? No multiplayer, no special unlocks, no different modes? What's that supposed to mean? Am I supposed to buy that? I got my WiiU because it was dirt cheap. I also support their choice of going low spec to cut costs. But now I'll pay more for a 3 hour game as I payed for Dark Souls III, a game that I'm barely scratching the surface after 10 hours of gameplay?

What's wrong with nintendo?

You can't have a rail shooter that's 10+ hours long (or even five for that matter) without it running out of tricks in its bag and becoming repetitive. If you want a rail shooter, you need to expect it to be relatively short compared to other games and feature a traditional type of replay value (I.e., the game has an addictive kind of fun and you want to play it again because of that).

Complaining a rail shooter is short at three hours is completely losing sight of what the genre is all about and you are truly someone that will never be satisfied if that's how you look at it.

You can't have a rail shooter that's 10+ hours long (or even five for that matter) without it running out of tricks in its bag and becoming repetitive. If you want a rail shooter, you need to expect it to be relatively short compared to other games and feature a traditional type of replay value (I.e., the game has an addictive kind of fun and you want to play it again because of that).

Complaining a rail shooter is short at three hours is completely losing sight of what the genre is all about and you are truly someone that will never be satisfied if that's how you look at it.

How about they do like other developers who are not out of touch with this world and charge less for a game if there's less game in there?

And I agree 3 hours for a on rail shooter campaign is good. But they could make secrets, more modes, give you reason to replay the game. I never said Star Fox should be a 20 hours long game.

BUT, Star Fox 0 is NOT an on rails shooter. And being the game it is, yes they could have done more. You have different types of piloting, different kinds of missions. That makes it very possible to make the game much longer without making it get boring. You will not run out of tricks by having 10 hours of content in that situation.

So they could have gone with a tradition on rails starfox that's just an upgraded star fox 1, do it 3 hours long and charge me 15 dollars. Or they could go for the more complex experience with more content and charge me 60. But what they did is a game that by the time you get used to the controlls, from what I saw, you're at the endgame. And once you finish there's little reason to play again.

You might be fine paying 60 dollars for that. I won't because I get 5x more game for half the price somewhere else.

I was playing nintendo in the 80s, and I loved them back then. I still want to love them. But now we're in 2016, and nintendo whats to work as if we're still in the 80s and 90s. Sorry. I won't buy remakes for full price, I won't buy a budget game for full price, and I won't ignore the fact they're abusing the nostalgia factor people have for their products to sell games that are not up to today's expected standards.

I find if kinda Sad the game that's closest to a modern take on the original Zelda is Dark Souls. Why can't nintendo be doing it too? Why do indie devs push 2d platformers further than nintendo does? why is their production cost lower but the prices just as high as of other companies?

My passion comes from my love of these IPs Nintendo owns. It angers me when they won't release a new game in a franchise other than Mario or Zelda unless they shove some gimmick down its throat. It's the reason we haven't seen a new f-zero or a new metroid, and it's why we got this Starfox title.

The most disappointing for me is the Paper Mario series followed by maybe Metroid and Mario Party. All of them have gone downhill IMO.

In some cases they make the games way too hard, other times its just some annoying gimmick that replaces what was once good and in mario party's case just overall bad design.

Been waiting a lifetime for an F-Zero and an Actraiser sequel although Squareenix owns it. I also want another Wrecking Crew. :(

I thought Paper Mario Wii was unbearably chatty. Lots of unfunny nonsense to wade through. Clearly, I'm getting older and less patient.

Should Star Fox Zero have been a point-and-shoot quickie arcade game, like its predecessors? Probably, but as others have said, then they would have had trouble asking $50 for it.

• Like 1

What's wrong with nintendo?

I know - they're so obsessed with trying something "new" that it hurts the games entirely. There's a reason we didn't see a Star Fox game on the Wii - they couldn't figure out how to force stick-waggle on it.

This is what Nintendo has always done. Nintendo must make one boneheaded move that ruins the whole lot. From Cartridges and cutting corners on the N64 specs, to reduced capacity discs and no DVD support on the Gamecube, to 512MB of storage space on the Wii with no chance of HD video.

It's as if Nintendo doesn't want to make something that might cost a little bit - except their handheld division, with that insane 3DS price at launch. It's as if they're having to "show off" the "innovative" use of their hardware to entice new buyers with every game they make, not realizing that coming out of the gate with impressive specs to woo third-party support would have been the best thing to do. Thing is, when they *do* put out a system with impressive specs, the suits insist engineers have to cut a corner *somewhere* to reduce price, out of fear of people not wanting to buy it.

Well you know what? Sony put out a $600 monolith, we laughed at it, and then as soon as we were done laughing at it, we bought it. Nintendo is still in the frame of mind that they can't make a "game console". It's not 1985 anymore. We're not scared of video games. All we want is a video game, not a gimmicky, clunky piece of buyer's remorse. And furthermore, SEGA and the rest of them introduced the consumer market to "bit wars", which is now what the console fanboys still smack of when they talk about "system specs", about how the PS4 is better than the XBOX because something something FLOPS cores. Nintendo never was good at this game - They tried it with the N64 and still got eaten for lunch. Atari tried it too, and first, While Nintendo watched Atari fail due to their own stupidity, chalked up the failure to "3D polygons aren't good", which ended up with the head of Nintendo ditching all the 3D games in the pipeline. Of course, RARE didn't help, but I can't blame them for Nintendo's misunderstanding of the market.

Gimmicks worked in 1985. ROB worked in 1985. Zapper worked in 1985. Running pads worked in 1985. However, it's 2016, and we just want a controller with a gamepad and buttons, or a joystick. We understand now that we were wrong about video games being a "fad" and that they can be fun if done correctly. The sad part is. Nintendo seemed to GET this in the 80s, because they gave us plenty of "traditional" games along with the gimmicky ROB, running pad, and Zapper games. Trying to "melt" these concepts together isn't going to save Nintendo, because Nintendo thinks that the same strategy will give them a foothold, when that doesn't work when video games as a market is doing just fine! Maybe if there weren't any video games to be had, the Gamepad/wigglewaggle would be okay, because we could lie to ourselves and say it's not Atari, which we collectively blamed for killing videogames or something.

Now that I think about it - the same reason the Wii U failed is the reason the 3DS succeeded - where a console looks BAD to consumers due to it trailing behind the competition, a handheld is seen as an easy target for third-party devs in-between major releases to keep everyone working. At least there Nintendo's still seen as a legit contender.

Edited by Csonicgo