IGNORED

Star Fox Zero on Wii U

Flojomojo

So I should wait for Starfox to drop in price then so I can dust off my Wii U?

Just curious to know how much game time is actually devoted to this game in itself and if it might be an easy pick up and go deal or is there definitely a need to block time away from life to bull through it.

So I should wait for Starfox to drop in price then so I can dust off my Wii U?

Just curious to know how much game time is actually devoted to this game in itself and if it might be an easy pick up and go deal or is there definitely a need to block time away from life to bull through it.

Around 4 hours per this:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=26780

I don't bull through any games that I don't like anymore but I used to do it, mainly because I was a fan or I paid money for it. Just don't have the time anymore. If I don't like a game that I already bought, it gets shelved and I jot a note down about it to remind me, in case I forget in the future. Meanwhilst the backlog keeps growing.

I haven't finished it (or gone back to play it since posting my first impressions --don't read too much into that, it's my way) but it seems like this is designed as an arcade game, like its predecessors. You're supposed to go through it multiple times wth different paths, not just reach the end once and consider it "beaten."

As for innovation vs comfort, Nintendo is damned if they do, damned if they don't. I don't have any interest in cookie-cutter games that all control and play the same way. That's how the "classic" NES often felt to me. At least all of my Wii U games are unique and different from one another.

Around 4 hours per this:

Meanwhilst the backlog keeps growing.

Yeah I could go through a lot of other games in 4 hours but being so new I think I will hold off for now and wait on this one. Unless I can convince one of my kids to use their money to buy it ha ha.

Backlog stuff is the name of the game for me as well. I have transition boxes. Things to sort. Things to clean. Things to test. and then things to keep or trade. And even that chore takes time sadly when all I want to do is play some Kaboom or something.

And even that chore takes time sadly when all I want to do is play some Kaboom or something.

lol. I know....sometimes I all I want to do is have a quick game of Atari, yet too tired and lazy to hook it up and play. Even firing up an emulator is a chore. I have a kid and family too.

The controls really aren't bad once you just relax and go with it. I struggled at first but when I picked it up again today I just relaxed and it went well. Part of the issue was getting adjusted to the perspective in third person. I stopped relying so heavily on first once I got used to it. I also had to get over the usual death grip I have on the controller during flying games.

• Like 1

So, are there a dificulty setting in the game?

You do chose paths? or you need a certain performance to get to the hard paths?

Are there any unocks to the game? IS the replay value simply increasing your score, or is there something else?

Near as I can tell the branching works the same as before where you have to do stuff to get off the main path, although I'm not sure if you had the beat 64 first before you could branch to other paths. I've beat my copy about a hozillion times. In Zero you need to complete it once before you can branch off. It saves your progress now, which I find nice. Once you beat a world you can just play it again by selecting it. With the longer levels it would be a real pain in the butt not to. There is something on the main menu that gets unlocked, I'm not sure what it is yet.

Replay is similar to the other games I suppose where you look for the other level exits to get to other paths and it also has the medals, although they are a little more obvious this go 'round. As far as the value of replay I see it as pretty similar but I think there's a bit more to be unlocked. I only recall 64 having the tank and maybe something else to unlock. I do see other ships and what not online but I have avoided seeing how they are unlocked yet. If that's enough for you, I have no idea, but it's good for me. I like going through the levels again.

My understanding is that at least some of the amiibo locked content can be unlocked in game. I can't verify that, I just haven't logged the hours yet.

• Like 3

My understanding is that at least some of the amiibo locked content can be unlocked in game. I can't verify that, I just haven't logged the hours yet.

Ooo amiibos. I don't have a single one as of yet for me its a matter of space and how healthy I can keep the figurines. My Daughter likes to use her Wii U and Xbox 360 games as coasters and plates. So frustrating losing games because there is no solution to caked on dum dum pops.

I like the thought of replay ability though. If it can be a slightly different game each time that could make it more fun.

Can you pick whatever character you want to do the main story line? Or is it preset?

Can you pick whatever character you want to do the main story line? Or is it preset?

At least the first time through you are Fox again. The story is preeeeeeeeeeety darn similar to 64 through the first few levels.

This is definitely a game that would benefit from a decent demo. Even if it was like a level and parts of the training mode. I'm not very bothered by the controls now so I enjoy what's there a lot. It seems the Gamepad use really throws some people into an article long tizzy, though.

There's a hover plane type vehicle that has a little robot you lower on a pully (and he stays attached) and I thought that was fun to use. The robot unlocks doors and disables things by touching these green panels you find. I think there's a bit more exploration and problem solving in this one but it's not like the Adventure game from GCN or anything. I have some trouble with the walker but I'm getting used to it. I really like that there's a number of different situations and skills to work on. There's just more to work with in the game than SF64 and I appreciate it for that. At first it was overwhelming but the first few levels run you through a lot of the different situations and vehicles. I think the all range mode threw me for the biggest loop. I was never that good at dog fighting to begin with, though. I appreciate a few of the helpers they added. Now you can push a button and the TV view pans to the goal or target. That helped me keep track of the enemies immensely.

I think the all range mode threw me for the biggest loop. I was never that good at dog fighting to begin with, though. I appreciate a few of the helpers they added. Now you can push a button and the TV view pans to the goal or target. That helped me keep track of the enemies immensely.

Seems to always be something to learn with Starfox. It took me a bit to get used to Assault on the Cube and I never cared so much for Adventure.

I am still getting used to the Wii U controller as well since not many games used the gamepad really. Pikmin 3 and Super Mario Wii U I think are the only others ones i own that use it.