IGNORED

Nintendo, What Went Wrong

Who said anything about Xenoblade? Off TV play at night with headphones while my fiance is sleeping. Can't do that with the TV... :grin:

Sorry, I was just naming an example where the gamepad is f'ing retarded. But, you named a positive aspect of it, so touche! I still think it was completely unnecessary. Would have been better as an optional device, not a mandatory one.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was just naming an example where the gamepad is f'ing retarded. But, you named a positive aspect of it, so touche! I still think it was completely unnecessary. Would have been better as an optional device, not a mandatory one.

The tablet was utilized badly. It worked best as an optional method to bring mobile-style gaming to a console, or as a second screen ala DS games. It's not something that most games needed. In fact, for most games it was best served as just a way to move your game off your TV. Need to not disturb a partner a night? Use the gamepad. Need your kid to share the TV with another sibling/parent? Gamepad. Don't have a high-def TV for the system and can't read the text? Maybe you just don't wanna sit properly and would rather play lying down staring at the ceiling. Gamepad!

I don't necessarily hate that it was the default controller for the system, but I would have been happier if the pro-controller compatible games would actually let you use one & bypass the gamepad altogether if you chose. Since you had to use it, a lot of games shoehorned in stupid touch mechanics to try and justify the extra bulk in your hands. I loved Rayman Legends, but the Murphy bits sucked. It would have been a better game without them.

• Like 2

I can't stand that brick. Whenever I can, I play using the pro controller and ditch it. I sold Kirby and any other game that uses it exclusively for gameplay. I don't mind inventory screens/maps etc. but don't force me to play games on it.

• Like 1

I can't stand that brick. Whenever I can, I play using the pro controller and ditch it. I sold Kirby and any other game that uses it exclusively for gameplay. I don't mind inventory screens/maps etc. but don't force me to play games on it.

I really disliked the Gamepad use in Kirby. I personally have no idea why it would be better on the Wii U when the 3DS is a thing. The game looks great and I sit there having to stare at the Gamepad to even play it while there's just great imagery on my TV. I hardly played it. My wife did for a bit out of a devotion to Kirby.

• Like 1

I really disliked the Gamepad use in Kirby. I personally have no idea why it would be better on the Wii U when the 3DS is a thing. The game looks great and I sit there having to stare at the Gamepad to even play it while there's just great imagery on my TV. I hardly played it. My wife did for a bit out of a devotion to Kirby.

This is a good heads up for me. I have not gotten around to getting the Wii U Kirby game, and if it forces me to use that slab of plastic, that is money that can go elsewhere.

Slab of plastic sounds a bit harsh. I don't mind if it is used to augment games, and it as has its used for the VC games when the kids are hogging the TV, but I don't like it when I am forced to use it.

Guys, just get Kirby Planet Robobot for 3DS. It is loads better, and you get special exclusive powerups on N3DS when using Kirby Amiibo. Just be mindful of which version of Kirby Amiibo you buy. It makes a difference :cool:

I meant to post this sooner, but I didn't realize there was a vacuum cleaner system called Kirby

https://www.kirby.com

Million dollar question: Does it come in Pink? Also I bet it's way overpriced and runs on some bizarre patented tech, like the Dysons... :P

I meant to post this sooner, but I didn't realize there was a vacuum cleaner system called Kirby

https://www.kirby.com

Million dollar question: Does it come in Pink? Also I bet it's way overpriced and runs on some bizarre patented tech, like the Dysons... :P

Kirbys are actually damn good machines, you can run one for 10+ years without issue easily. Some of the newer ones double as shampooers. There's 3 issues of note with them:

1) They are EXPENSIVE AS F**K. Like, base price before trade-ins/sales is over a grand. You'll get your money's worth, but it's still a big hit up front.

2) Most models still use bags, so you'll need to have a place around to buy them from. They aren't cheap either... I think 10ish for a 3-pack the last time we needed some? This was a few years ago, though (we haven't had a Kirby for awhile.)

3) They get sold by door-to-door salesmen. So be ready for a random stranger to come into your home, vacuum some stuff, and hit you with the hard sale on the new model every year.

We got sick of the run-around and switched to Dyson awhile back. I really liked it, but it died after a few years. Now we have a Shark. It's alright.

• Like 1

I'm pretty much the same way now. I don't mind games supporting it at all, and in cases like Pikmin 3 I wouldn't play without it. But, I really feel they should have optimized each supported game with alternate control methods. So instead of being forced to have the tablet up with a map screen, give me an option to switch to the map on my TV like any game in the past and manage functions there with the controller. I highly doubt it would have been difficult to give choice to the user like that.

• Like 1

Kirbys are actually damn good machines, you can run one for 10+ years without issue easily. Some of the newer ones double as shampooers. There's 3 issues of note with them:

1) They are EXPENSIVE AS F**K. Like, base price before trade-ins/sales is over a grand. You'll get your money's worth, but it's still a big hit up front.

Figures. OT, but what I want is a non-upright vacuum with the tank separate from the hose. Uprights are heavy and tiring to use, can't get undefneath furniture, and cheaper models are prone to breakage. To me, old school hose + tank models seem the ideal compromise between power and manuverability, but nobody seems to design them this way anymore. Maybe someday I'll get a wet-or-dry miniature shop vac if I find one with a good assortment of attachments for apolstery and carpet cleaning.

I'm pretty much the same way now. I don't mind games supporting it at all, and in cases like Pikmin 3 I wouldn't play without it. But, I really feel they should have optimized each supported game with alternate control methods. So instead of being forced to have the tablet up with a map screen, give me an option to switch to the map on my TV like any game in the past and manage functions there with the controller. I highly doubt it would have been difficult to give choice to the user like that.

I enjoyed what I played of Pikmin 3 so far. One issue I have however besides the time limit, was that I lost many of my Rock Pikmin defeating a worm-like boss creature. I couldn't make it back to the ship before nightfall and ended up abandoning many more to make it back to the ship. I tend to take adventure games at a slow pace so being forced to keep up the pace rather than enjoy the scenery and explore secrets. I feel that mid-afternoon I must stop whatever I am doing to return to the ship, and sometimes in the rush, Pikmin get abandoned. And if I don't forage enough juice... I've had days where my reserves were down to one canister. Only thing I haven't tried was exploring previous days. Anyway after the boss, I had a huge reserve of juice but depleted Pikmin stock. It's a unique game I plan to explore further sometime. I have no qualms about the gamepad mechanic. :)

I rarely use the gamepad. I don't keep it plugged in, and the battery loses charge very quickly even if you're not using the system, so it's always out of charge when I want to play. Thankfully, most of the Wii U games that I like can use just the Pro Controller... if a game launches to a message that the gamepad must be connected I usually end up playing something else.

• Like 2

Was just about to post that. Figures the Pokemon GO gravvy traiin wouldn't last. :P

Nintendo NX to use ARM CPU. I was right all along. Nintendo would never use power hungry x86 CPU:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/video_digital_foundry_breaks_down_details_on_nintendo_nx_and_nvidias_tegra_technology

And right about the redesigned gamepad that doubles as a portable. NX screen to feature detachable controllers:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/talking_point_considering_the_angles_of_a_portable_and_dynamic_nintendo_nx

All in all the NX turned out it was everything I predicted it would be. <--Link.

Whether devs support it or not remains to be seen. I wonder if they use resistive or capacitive touch screen this time?

Seems like the NX is a handheld that connects to a TV:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/07/26/report-more-evidence-surfaces-that-nx-is-a-handheld-that-connects-to-tv.aspx

If this is the case, in my own personal opinion, the Wii U will be the last traditional console they make.

Not sure how I feel about this. :-/

The good news is that I won't need two different devices to play a game.

• Like 1

It's exactly what they needed, if it's implemented well.

I've said it at this forum before, but Nintendo was fighting a losing war by splitting their resources across two fronts. They needed consolidation as their console struggles hit rock bottom with the Wii U and their handheld business started to severely retract in the wake of the rise of the smartphone.

This way, all next-gen Nintendo game development can be sold to all next-gen Nintendo system owners which should go a long ways towards solving the software droughts that plagued the 3DS & Wii U. No more splitting their efforts across handhelds and consoles also brings us benefits as well.

Anyone expecting Nintendo to return to competing on the basis of horsepower not only haven't been paying attention to the Nintendo of the past 10+ years, they simply aren't being realistic. Expensive hardware isn't suddenly going to bring millions of fans back.

They have to stabilize their own business first and draw fans in for what Nintendo does that the competition lacks before they could ever consider taking on Microsoft and Sony directly.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

^ Atariboy makes a lot of sense here

We still need to see the software, that's what will make or break it. We know Zelda is coming, we know Nintendo is capable of great stuff like Xenoblade, but I don't feel like we know much else.

The specs only need to be "good enough," so long as it's fun, priced right, and durable. Though personally, I'm reaching gadget saturation, and will take a wait-and-see approach with NX.

• Like 1

A Tegra-powered HDTV/portable hybrid.....Nvidia shield comes to mind. I kind of like that, I guess.

Fun fact, Ouya was Tegra powered. ARM CPUs have come a long way and are fast catching up to x86/64. If NX uses the Tegra X2, it will be on par with the original PS4/X1, but consume only a tiny fraction of the wattage.

I really wasn't overly concerned about the NX before, but the recent mock-up drawings (I don't know if they're part of the leak or just someone's idea based on it) have me intrigued. The idea that, I could play a game on my proper TV, then pick it up and play it handheld-style at the bus stop, then set it on the breakroom table, pop off a mini controller and keep going, is interesting. Especially the pop-off mini controllers. I keep a PSone with the LCD screen as sort of a 'travel console', for when I want a more traditional play experience away from my setup. But that's limited, I need to be near a power outlet. If the NX can fulfill a similar role, but with wireless controllers and no need to plug into a wall, I'm VERY interested in that.

It still boils down to good games though. Always has, always will- games sell systems.

I don't like the idea of detachable controllers so much, but hopefully the dock will allow me to pair it with Wii U Pro Controllers and Wii remotes (And by extension of that, Classic Controllers). At the very least I hope that they include a piece of plastic to connect the two halves so that you're not left holding a Wiimote style device in each hand whenever the central piece is docked for console play.

One nice thing I suppose is that you're not left up the creek without a paddle in the event of something like an analog stick failure, facing options like paying expensive repair fees if you're out of warranty or attempting to fix the issue yourself. You'll be able to refresh the components that will be seeing wear & tear if the need ever arises, much unlike a traditional handheld game system where everything is integrated.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't like the idea of detachable controllers so much, but hopefully the dock will allow me to communicate with Wii U Pro Controllers and Wii remotes (And by extension of that, Classic Controllers). At the very least I hope that they include a piece of plastic to connect the two halves so that you're not left holding a Wiimote style device in each hand whenever the central piece is docked for console play.

One nice thing I suppose is that you're not left up the creek without a paddle in the event of something like an analog stick failure, facing options like paying expensive repair fees if you're out of warranty or attempting to fix the issue yourself. You'll be able to refresh the components that will be seeing wear & tear if the need ever arises, much unlike a traditional handheld game system where everything is integrated.

Problem with that concept is most controllers are built so well they far outlast the lifespan of the console if taken care of. By the time you really need replacement, they are no longer sold... :P