IGNORED

Nintendo, What Went Wrong

LOL, play a little GameDevStory, will you? "Your fanbase is aging" is just one statistic. You are being replaced by the latest generation of kids. It's not about you.

Every time someone makes a thread about "Nintendo is dying," several somebodies feel the need to generalize their own personal experiences and opinions to the rest of the world.

What YOU like about Nintendo or Sony or Atari isn't necessarily the same thing that is driving business success or artistic choices.

Hey, thats pretty cool, need to check that out on my phone. :P

• Like 1

I would have bought it in a second if it didn't involve me uncomfortably wobbling a controller around and taking my eyes off the big-ass TV that's right in front of me.

I was definitely going to buy it...I had it on my wishlist (amazon) for a long while. When I read about what they decided to do and how it worked I didn't bother. :-/

LOL, play a little GameDevStory, will you? "Your fanbase is aging" is just one statistic. You are being replaced by the latest generation of kids. It's not about you.

Every time someone makes a thread about "Nintendo is dying," several somebodies feel the need to generalize their own personal experiences and opinions to the rest of the world.

What YOU like about Nintendo or Sony or Atari isn't necessarily the same thing that is driving business success or artistic choices.

Ha, GameDevStory is awesome. I played the hell out of it many years ago.

As far as Nintendo goes, one of the great things is that their old style games still do really well. So, us old fogeys do still have a meaningful voice in this case. ;)

• Like 1

You can get AAA titles on Gamecube. Just take some nice poo, wait for it to start turning grey and then put it on top of your Gamecube.

:woozy: :? :???: :woozy: :? :???: :woozy:

The problem here isn't Nintendo but with that so-called AAA market you mentioned where they went from males aged 16-30 being the people most likely to purchase a video game to being the only people likely to purchase a video game. This laser focused the market and eliminated a large percentage of the possible consumers out there. Have a vagina? Video games simply are not for you. Younger than twelve or older than 35? Video games are not for you. It's the same kind of focused marketing that brought us all those Fast and Furious movies.

In a more robust market, Call of Duty would be a B title at best. This is what happened to Nintendo. A large electronic conglomerate that could give a fig about video games as an artistic medium or as a business and found out how to maximize their profit in a short-sighted move that shrank the audience so that what should have been a game with niche appeal became the biggest tent pole franchise.

Thing is, I don't give two sh**s about FPS ultraviolent shooters, and couldn't really give too sh**s about modern sports games or anything trying to be hyper-realistic.

The twin stick shooter mechanic I never truly got the hang of, spoiled by N64 era RARE 3d platformers where I just run around in circles and the dolly cam follows me, with just an occasional nudge on the C-stik needed to tweak the viewpoint. I try to "run around" in a twin stick game, I end up with my nose in a corner. Completely disorienting.

I had a roommate once completely addicted to playing Sims2 on his PS2. To me it looked like the most boring drivel ever conceived for a video game. Why would anyone want to simulate the mundaneness of life. I play games to escape reality, not repeat it. The fact that Nintendo favors games with cartoony visuals, and fantastical worlds that look nothing like real life, brings out the kid in me.

Too many 6th and 7th generation multiplatform games will only be recognized for their grays and browns and totally drab color pallets some years from now. Most had weak campaign modes anyhow as online multiplayer was where it was at, so the Call of Duty's and such will be stagnating in the bargain bin on store shelves some years from now, assuming resale shops can still exist in an era digital downloads, where physical media ceases to exist...

• Like 2

All I know is they should just make games people WANT to play by looking at feedback. Its easier more than ever to do this, be more friendly to your fans and stop chasing people on youtube for an extra 5 bucks a month. As far as older games coming back I was really pissed at the Starfox release. Who asked for that? Who wanted those features? Paper Mario, another example. What fans on earth wanted these changes? Where's my F-Zero game? my Advance Wars????

;)

Ditto. Super Paper Mario was a nice diversion and a truly fun game, but I expected them to return to their roots with Sticker Star. I was excited to learn that they had returned to a turn based battle mechanic, until I bought the game and realised it was totally devoid of any personality. Mario has no partners whatsoever, not even a bog standard jump and hammer attack, but instead has to collect stickers to use in battle. What's worse, more powerful attacks take up 4x the space in your album. And woe be unto Mario should he use up all his stickers in a battle and forced to forfeit. In the classic series, Mario didn't simply give up if he ran out of items or Flower Power. He used every last trick in the book, partners, star power, jump and hammer, whatever it took until he either fell or defeated his nemesis. And the new Paper Mario for Wii-U seems to rely entirely on a card mechanic that replaces the role of stickers in Sticker Star. No evidence of partners in any of the screenshots. Sorry but at $50-$60, that's a pass in my book. :sad:

Ha, GameDevStory is awesome. I played the hell out of it many years ago.

As far as Nintendo goes, one of the great things is that their old style games still do really well. So, us old fogeys do still have a meaningful voice in this case. ;)

Do we really have a say, or does Nintendo just think the occasional VC release (whether we own the physical media or not) will shut us up?

Too many 6th and 7th generation multiplatform games will only be recognized for their grays and browns and totally drab color pallets some years from now. Most had weak campaign modes anyhow as online multiplayer was where it was at, so the Call of Duty's and such will be stagnating in the bargain bin on store shelves some years from now, assuming resale shops can still exist in an era digital downloads, where physical media ceases to exist...

This is probably going to sound kinda funny, but I actually really like the Call of Duty games for their single player campaigns; and I only play them on the Nintendo DS and Wii. :P

I know I'm in the minority considering that these games are marketed to kids and testosterone flooded young people obsessed with online multiplayer, but I find the single player campaigns and bonus modes (the Zombies mode in Black Ops especially) to be a refreshing break from the usual bright and colorful fare that I play on Nintendo systems. I also dig the touchscreen controls on the DS and motion controls on the Wii, since those make the gameplay experience different and a lot more enjoyable for me than the dual analog stick controls of the Xbox and PlayStation versions.

I think that's the big reason why I still get excited over new Nintendo systems too, since Nintendo is always doing something weird and wacky with the way their systems control (or look, in the case of the 3DS) these days. I'm at a point in my life where I've been playing video games for 25 years or so and I just can't get excited about Sony or Microsoft's offerings anymore because they're just the same gameplay experiences with the same tired old control schemes that I've been using since the original PlayStation's first Dual Shock controller, but with marginally better graphics. Nintendo on the other hand always keeps their new systems fresh and interesting by offering new control (and thus new gameplay) experiences every time, which is the reason that I still buy Nintendo systems to play modern games. Slightly better graphics won't inspire me to run out and drop hundreds of dollars on a new console, but a new and unique way to play games that's different from anything that I've experienced before certainly can inspire me to open up my wallet. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

I just wish the GCN had a larger c stick. Honestly my only complaint. That's my #1 what the heck Nintendo!?

The C-stik nub is exactly the same dimensions underneath as the control stick. You should be able to find a "broken" Game Cube controller and swap in the second control stick. I think there was some guy selling Control stick and C-stik replacements online as well. It's a common problem as oils can sometimes erode the C-stik warranting replacement. You could buy one of those aftermarket kits and put the control stick on the C-stik peg. Just know there's not as much clearance around the C-stik and the oversized C-stik may rub the casing of the controller but otherwise is fully functional.

Eh, Nintendo has been around for ca. a hundred years, long before video games were envisioned. Nintendo has a long history of being able to adapt and survive.

So are a lot of companies these days that are struggling. Sony has been around for 70 years, and started with many things not at all gaming related. And they're not doing well either.

Just because people many years ago led the same company well, doesn't mean the current people who run these companies will do just as well... even if it is the same company. Sony these days has really nothing to do with what Sony was and how it was run 70 years ago... and the same goes with Nintendo.

Quickly, to the Batcave!

Another Great Video Game Crash is surely to take place...SOME-TIME!

Ehh, probably not. The market is too big. There are little micro-crashes every day instead. Example: Square Enix just pulled all of the Chaos Rings games off the App Store. Somehow they think it's a good idea to charge $20 for a mobile game and then not support it when it doesn't work on the newer OS.
  • Like 1

I agree, an overall crash won't happen. Although I wonder how hard it is to be a developer these days. I would think it's hard to survive in the sea of games out there if your small time or an indie. A lot of them are doing fine though keeping costs low and sales high. Drinkbox studios and even From Software.....Dark Souls has a lower budget than Resident Evil and yet they probably make more of a return than Capcom and the quality of the Souls games are higher too. icon_biggrinwink.gif

The only kind of major crash I can envision is a combination of video game boutiques going out of business (Gamestop, EB Games) and bigger retailers like Wal-Mart losing faith in the video game market and ditching their stocks of games. That's essentially what happened during the '84 crash. But I don't see such a perfect storm happenning in the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

The only kind of major crash I can envision is a combination of video game boutiques going out of business (Gamestop, EB Games) and bigger retailers like Wal-Mart losing faith in the video game market and ditching their stocks of games. That's essentially what happened during the '84 crash. But I don't see such a perfect storm happenning in the foreseeable future.

Thats a good point....although Gamestop though is trying to cash in on the physical media drug addiction. They are making physical versions of a lot of indie or digital games hoping for some hits. They know people want a plastic case and printed slip cover art. :P

• Like 1

Thats a good point....although Gamestop though is trying to cash in on the physical media drug addiction. They are making physical versions of a lot of indie or digital games hoping for some hits. They know people want a plastic case and printed slip cover art. :P

Gamestop is smart. They know used games will not be a profitable strategy going into 9th gen as consoles start to ditch CD drives and physical media. Tons of "collectibles" and new retro nostalgic items taking up more and more shelf space. They are covering their aases making sure they won't die off when physical media ceases to exist. :P

I remember a time when they were stuffed with Pokemon toys. I was in there to get a steam controller the other day and was struck by all the conditions on the coupon I was using -- no trading in GameStop rewards for digital points, for example. They know what they're doing and have a lucrative little pawn shop business.

I don't pretend to know what they'll do in the next generation, and I'm pretty sure I don't care -- I've been buying all my stuff digitally for years now, and the last time I set foot in that store was in April 2015 to get a New 3DS because Amazon wasn't selling them.

The funny thing is, this shop is walking distance from my house. I would have LOVED to have had a well-stocked game shop so close by, 20 years ago. Think of all the SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Jaguar, PlayStation, and Saturn crap I would have accumulated.

• Like 1

In all honesty I wonder if that would cause a crash this time around. As people said, console makers are trying to axe the physical distribution so all they'd really need is for stores to carry the main system - and I can't see Amazon not stocking it, given they'll stock just about anything. About the only thing that'll kill off the video game market in a crash at this point is for devs and publishers to push gamers past the breaking point with microtransactions, bug-infested games, insane DRM requirements (I know some BIG gamers that quit the hobby when online-requirements started to be added for DRM - and these were people that were just fine with SecuROM and other such crap being used in games.) and all sorts of other dirty little tricks.

Whether that'll happen, or if gamers will prove time and time again that they don't HAVE a breaking point on poor treatment/customer service, is something we'll have to wait and see.

Online-only DRM sucks. At least most PC publishers now are using the Steam model rather than their own servers. There's already a number of games only released in the past couple years that are completely inaccessible now due to servers being pulled offline. EA, I am looking at you... :mad:

As for the death of physical media, well it's the end of an era. The golden age of video games will live on thanks to the physical embodiment of the relics they leave behind. Digital only games will only be available in the future through piracy, and only if, and it's a big if, hackers are able to crack the crippling DRM systems.

I think we are still one more generation away before some form of physical media is ditched entirely.

I feel this way too- console gamers tend to be a bit more conservative about new distribution methods. Plus, people are seeing the issues with digital only start to creep though here and there (especially on the Nintendo end, with system-tied content and all.)

There's enough holdouts for physical media to still be profitable for a bit longer. I think we'll have to watch the PS3/360 generation fully slide into retro first- give people a chance to see how their digital content will work long term.

There's enough holdouts for physical media to still be profitable for a bit longer. I think we'll have to watch the PS3/360 generation fully slide into retro first- give people a chance to see how their digital content will work long term.

I am curious to know how that will go in the future as well. Goodness forbid a hard drive failure and then needing to mirror your current system drive onto a replacement to keep it all. Right now that's a simple deal but in 10 or more years how many compatible drives will still be out there and working to do that with as need be....or hope there is a resource out there keeping all this digital content with the consent of the ownership of the software properties.

• Like 2