IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

Online multiplayer sounds awesome and the trophies are nice. But it's not cross buy? No Vita / PS TV capability? I'm also a little worried about Iwantgames mentioning Red Baron is wonky cuz that was going to be a must-buy reason for me.

Also is it possible to play with the PS4 touch screen for paddle games?

Edited by ComputerSpaceFan

Online multiplayer sounds awesome and the trophies are nice. But it's not cross buy? No Vita / PS TV capability? I'm also a little worried about Iwantgames mentioning Red Baron is wonky cuz that was going to be a must-buy reason for me.

Also is it possible to play with the PS4 touch screen for paddle games?

Okay so I bought it, couldn't resist.

First of all Red Baron is playable but I had to reduce the sensitivity down to "2" and "Absolute" to make it work.

Secondly yes paddle games DO work with the touch pad and honestly this is a very good control scheme. I was very happy how Breakout was handling.

Thirdly you can map any button to any function in each game and since I have a Street Fighter fight stick I was able to map the buttons for Asteroids to give it that authentic original arcade feel.

The price is slightly steep in my opinion, especially since they have once again split this into two volumes. And I really wish it was cross buy for Vita but alas no. Still this is a very good collection of Atari awesomeness. Thumbs up!

• Like 1

How does it stack up to Atari Anthology on the PS2?

How many 2600 Games on the 2 Discs have Replay Value?

Atari Anthology has like 67 2600 Games on it, Both Discs has Games on it, But how many must play Games?

On the PS2 there's Activision Anthology that has over 45 Games on it, But it doesn't tell you how many sooo

The menus are slicker than the old PS2 games, and there's online play (if you can find anyone), and presumably leaderboards and trophies. The game lineup is pretty similar. Having it digitally somewhat makes up for having to switch between two different collections. I wouldn't bother with it on disc, personally.

PS2 Activision Anthology is a better lineup of games IMHO -- plus that silly 1980s soundtrack on the PS2 and PSP versions. I still think the GBA Activision Anthology is one of the best retro collections ever made.

• Like 2

The price is slightly steep in my opinion, especially since they have once again split this into two volumes. And I really wish it was cross buy for Vita but alas no. Still this is a very good collection of Atari awesomeness. Thumbs up!

The price seemingly keeps changing on Amazon. I bought two PS4 copies on Friday (one for me and one as a gift for a friend, and they came on Monday) for $24.99 each, and now it's $28.82. Last week, the price was $29.99. Not sure what you consider steep, but the price I paid was fine.

Edited by Zap!

I can't see myself buying these again when I already have the games for the PS2 and the Activision anthology, and many of the original carts, etc etc

So these two collections actually have Activision games on them now?

That's quite a surprise. I thought this was just a console version of Atari Vault with 1st party material. Essentially a revisiting of Atari Anthology (Which I imagine you sadly meant to say, although I hope not), except split down the middle and with some minor additions and subtractions other than the disappointing loss of Battlezone due to short sighted management.

Edited by Atariboy

So these two collections actually have Activision games on them now?

That's quite a surprise. I thought this was just a console version of Atari Vault with 1st party material. Essentially a revisiting of Atari Anthology (Which I imagine you sadly meant to say, although I hope not), except split down the middle and with some minor additions and subtractions other than the disappointing loss of Battlezone due to short sighted management.

No Activision games unfortunately. I would've loved to see Seaquest on there!

I'm wondering if we might see more volumes in the future?

This is just an Atari collection, let's not start false rumors about Activision stuff. We are just talking about 2600 collections from the past.

I think the Activision stuff is way more fun than the Atari lineup, with the exception of the arcade games. If there's to be another Activision Anthology, I would think AtGames/Code Mystics would be the ones to do it.

Bill Logiduice has hinted there might be other retro Flashback collections in the future, especially if these are successful. Perhaps he will chime in here. I believe he said that future collections might not all have catalogues from the same company like this one. They've done Intellivision and Colecovision collections online already so those could be the most likely candidates.