IGNORED

Atari Flashback Classics for the XB1/PS4

I hope Activision comes to their senses and lets you guys have a crack at their library of classics at a fair price one of these days.

And I know it's all but certainly wishful thinking, but the thought of a controller adapter to allow VCS accessories like AtGames' own Flashback accessories is an entertaining thought. They're already halfway there by virtue of what they manufacturer for their plug and plays...

Too bad that platform holders lock everything down in the accessory department these days. Then they could've maybe snuck in USB Stelladapter support like Atari Anthology almost got years ago. :(

I agree, although there's no such restriction on the PC side fortunately. With that said, I think the Xbox One and PS4 controllers should work well with most games in the collections (and future collections).

I may have missed this, but is there going to be multiplayer? Multiplayer Combat....

I like the idea of controller adapters, but that is probably not going to happen outside of home made efforts.

Maybe not a bad idea to include support for the chat pads if Intellivision and ColecoVision editions are ever made. Yea... the layout is different, but the numbers are there. Would be better than some onscreen virtual keypad.

I may have missed this, but is there going to be multiplayer? Multiplayer Combat....

I like the idea of controller adapters, but that is probably not going to happen outside of home made efforts.

Maybe not a bad idea to include support for the chat pads if Intellivision and ColecoVision editions are ever made. Yea... the layout is different, but the numbers are there. Would be better than some onscreen virtual keypad.

Yes, online multiplayer is supported.

I'm not sure if controller adapters are practical on the PS4 or Xbox One. If you know of something, though, let me know, and I can pass the info on to AtGames to see if they want to make something. I can't reveal the details, but there is something brewing regarding that on the PC side.

If Intellivision and ColecoVision volumes are ever made, in theory, thanks to intelligent control mapping, there should be enough buttons (and sticks) on the respective PS4 and Xbox One controllers for almost all (if not all) keypad-heavy games.

• Like 1

A homebrew adapter would be nice but not too useful in my eyes since it's not really the joystick games that can't be fully enjoyed here with existing accessories. There are arcade sticks and digital gamepads for those not satisfied with the d-pad or analog stick on a stock XB1 or PS4 controller and many enthusiasts can get something working themselves if they really wanted to use a classic joystick.

But something official with support programmed into these two releases that allows you to hook up Atari/AtGames paddle controllers, 2600 track-balls, Indy 500 controllers, and maybe even the keypad accessory would be great. Some of these games no matter how Code Mystics handles it will just never play nice with modern console controllers.

Edited by Atariboy

If Intellivision and ColecoVision volumes are ever made, in theory, thanks to intelligent control mapping, there should be enough buttons (and sticks) on the respective PS4 and Xbox One controllers for almost all (if not all) keypad-heavy games.

These games would be fantastic on the Vita if a digital version comes out. Should recommend to them about relasing them on there since Sony leaves it up to devs to release cross platform (usually free if you buy it on at least one plaform). With the touch screen paddle games would work well and if a Colecovision collection were to come out it would be perfect. Raz0red's emulators on the Wii were nice. You hit a button like select or Triangle\Y on the gamepad and a small virtual Colecovision see-thru keypad would show up on the screen and you click a number. The Wii U gamepad which would display the keypad would also work nice but I take it Nintendo publishing is not even a thought?

Also, for all thats holy tell them to make the paddle games playable with the DS4 touchpad. It would work if they could do it competently. Its totally under utilized IMO (mainly because of cross platform publishing)

In fact I'm heading off to Twitty land to send them a couple of messages.....

• Like 1

This is where I think that Intellivision Lives faltered on the PS2/GCN/Xbox (And on Game Room for the 360). Not too many of the games there had any need for a virtual keypad during gameplay thanks to the more than adequate number of buttons available on a modern gamepad, yet many forced you just the same just in a counter productive attempt to remain faithful to how the games originally played.

And if AtGames supports the optional keypad attachment that I think both the Dual Shock 4 and XB1 controller have, you don't even need such a thing just to input numerical values to set up games like selecting the number of players or the difficulty level that you desire.

98b273f2-6d59-40b7-af98-fbbb84ff3ca6.jpg

And of course with the widescreen displays that we game on today, any time that a virtual representation of the keypad display does has to be shown, it at least doesn't have to be overlayed over the games themselves anymore.

B-17 for instance probably can't be done too well without such a compromise despite plenty of buttons being available for every function since it simply would be too difficult to remember which button corresponds to which crew position in your Flying Fortress.

Edited by Atariboy

A homebrew adapter would be nice but not too useful in my eyes since it's not really the joystick games that can't be fully enjoyed here with existing accessories. There are arcade sticks and digital gamepads for those not satisfied with the d-pad or analog stick on a stock XB1 or PS4 controller and many enthusiasts can get something working themselves if they really wanted to use a classic joystick.

But something official with support programmed into these two releases that allows you to hook up Atari/AtGames paddle controllers, 2600 track-balls, Indy 500 controllers, and maybe even the keypad accessory would be great. Some of these games no matter how Code Mystics handles it will just never play nice with modern console controllers.

I really liked the fact that they had a patch for Atari: 80 Classic Games in One to support the Stelladaptor, so you could connect actual Atari 2600 controllers to play the games. I'd love so see something like that here as well.

Aside from that, they should also consider supporting USB mice/trackballs, which could come in handy for the paddle, spinner, and Trak-Ball games.

This is where I think that Intellivision Lives faltered on the PS2/GCN/Xbox (And on Game Room for the 360). Not too many of the games there had any need for a virtual keypad during gameplay thanks to the more than adequate number of buttons available on a modern gamepad, yet many forced you just the same just in a counter productive attempt to remain faithful to how the games originally played.

And if AtGames supports the optional keypad attachment that I think both the Dual Shock 4 and XB1 controller have, you don't even need such a thing just to input numerical values to set up games like selecting the number of players or the difficulty level that you desire.

98b273f2-6d59-40b7-af98-fbbb84ff3ca6.jpg

And of course with the widescreen displays that we game on today, any time that a virtual representation of the keypad display does has to be shown, it at least doesn't have to be overlayed over the games themselves anymore.

B-17 for instance probably can't be done too well without such a compromise despite plenty of buttons being available for every function since it simply would be too difficult to remember which button corresponds to which crew position in your Flying Fortress.

That's a good idea.

I would also strongly suggest that they implement second screen support--in other words, the ability to use an iOS device, Android device, or PlayStation Vita along with the primary home video game console. Here are a few ways this could be useful here:

1. Act as keyboard or Video Touch Pad controllers (with overlays, too).
  2. Display and interact with the Atari 2600 console switches.
  3. View the game manuals while the game is being played.

You could do multiple things at once, too. For example, display the 2600 console switches in a narrow strip on one side of screen, and use the rest of the screen to flip through the manual. This would be great for looking at the game selection matrix and deciding which variation you want to play next.

You could even use the touchscreen as a substitute for Trak-Ball or paddle, if you wanted to. I believe someone earlier also suggested using the touchpad on the Dual Shock 4 for this purpose.

If the screen isn't being used for manuals or game input, then it could display historical facts or other bonus material pertaining to the game currently being played. There are plenty of creative applications for second screen support for a collection such as this one.

• Like 1

Aside from that, they should also consider supporting USB mice/trackballs, which could come in handy for the paddle, spinner, and Trak-Ball games.

If they allow that it would be great and likely the only practical solution here.

Wouldn't help Indy 500 any, but the other non-joystick titles surely would benefit.

Edited by Atariboy

These games would be fantastic on the Vita if a digital version comes out. Should recommend to them about relasing them on there since Sony leaves it up to devs to release cross platform (usually free if you buy it on at least one plaform). With the touch screen paddle games would work well and if a Colecovision collection were to come out it would be perfect. Raz0red's emulators on the Wii were nice. You hit a button like select or Triangle\Y on the gamepad and a small virtual Colecovision see-thru keypad would show up on the screen and you click a number. The Wii U gamepad which would display the keypad would also work nice but I take it Nintendo publishing is not even a thought?

Also, for all thats holy tell them to make the paddle games playable with the DS4 touchpad. It would work if they could do it competently. Its totally under utilized IMO (mainly because of cross platform publishing)

In fact I'm heading off to Twitty land to send them a couple of messages.....

The Vita is not an option due to low sales. It wouldn't make sense for us. Same for the Wii U. Like I said earlier, if sales of the NX prove healthy, that will certainly be under consideration. We were initially targeting Xbox 360 and PS3 as well, but those markets are drying up as well, so it was decided just to stick with the two healthiest console platforms at this time.

The Vita is not an option due to low sales. It wouldn't make sense for us. Same for the Wii U. Like I said earlier, if sales of the NX prove healthy, that will certainly be under consideration. We were initially targeting Xbox 360 and PS3 as well, but those markets are drying up as well, so it was decided just to stick with the two healthiest console platforms at this time.

What I was saying was when and if it comes out digitally, it would be nice if there were a Vita version to go along the console version on PS4. Many indie devs do this and some of them have the resources to build two versions and sell only one copy, buy it once on PS4, get the Vita version for free (cross play). It takes some work so I'm not really expecting anything at all, just thought I'd throw it out there...cause it would be great. Heck would be great on the 3DS too.

Ok I'll stop. :-D

What I was saying was when and if it comes out digitally, it would be nice if there were a Vita version to go along the console version on PS4. Many indie devs do this and some of them have the resources to build two versions and sell only one copy, buy it once on PS4, get the Vita version for free (cross play). It takes some work so I'm not really expecting anything at all, just thought I'd throw it out there...cause it would be great. Heck would be great on the 3DS too.

It's coming out digitally at the same time as the physical release. It's a normal release in every way. There are no plans to support the Vita or 3DS, though, and I don't expect that to ever change.

I would have done unspeakable things to have a full-fledged Atari classic game compilation on the Vita. If such a thing were to happen, I suppose it would be a digital-only release, as this often happens these days for niche games on Vita that probably can't drum up enough retailer interest.

There were some excellent emulated versions of Asteroids and Centipede previously available for the PS Vita, developed by Code Mystics. These were available as DLC for PlayStation Home Arcade, and were cross-buy with their counterparts that were playable within PlayStation Home on the PS3. Sadly, these are no longer available for purchase.

Perhaps they could dust off the Vita Asteroids and Centipede code, retool them as standalone games, and the publisher of the PS4 collections could toss them in as a bonus. It would be a nice little treat, especially for those people who missed out on them earlier.

If there's no hope for Atari classics on Vita, then there's always Remote Play, although this might not be ideal for some fast-action games. Aside from that, the Vita could also be highly useful as a second screen device, as I described earlier.

I was bored and decided to compare the lineups of these with Atari 80 Classic Games for the PC, Atari Anthology for the PS2/Xbox, and the pair of DS collections. So if anyone's curious, here's what's new and what's missing in the lineup here.

Arcade:

Battlezone (Missing as is the Bradley trainer proto from the DS; Always available in the past)

Sprint (New)

Tempest Tubes (Missing; Available on Atari 80 & Anthology)

2600:

Basic Programming (Missing; Available on Atari 80 & on the DS)

Battlezone (Missing; Always available in the past)

Combat AI (Missing; Available on Atari 80 & Anthology)

Math Grand Prix (Missing)

Race/Indy 500 (New)

Return to Haunted House (New)

Save Mary (New)

Stunt Cycle (New)

Was Basic Programming sold off, too? I remember Battlezone of course and I seem to recall Math Grand Prix, but I didn't remember this one.

Will any of the keypad games like Codebreaker support the chatpad accessories? Won't help something like Star Raiders any, but those that just have you inputting number values with no need for a keypad overlay would benefit.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Awful.

Without proper controls or even a mouse....these will hurt on consoles. A $40 novelty and a disc swapping annoyance I can live without. They got my money on Steam for this anyway.

microsoft has announced keyboard and mouse support coming to the xbox one in a few months, however, support would have to be built into the games

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/microsoft-xbox-one-mouse-and-keyboard-support-is-months-away/

Someone somewhere out there needs to make and sell an adapter to plug in some paddles (and joysticks).

Ben!!!!!!

there are currently many, many solutions to using keyboards, mice, and every controller you could probably think of for the xbox 1, xbox 360, ps3, ps4 and more:

i am currently use a mouse and keyboard, also a trackball, and a spinner for tempest, crystal castles, centipede, millipede, and missile command.

For the last several years, there have been USB converters, that allow:

1) any controller to work with any console : PS3, xbox 360, PS4, and xbox one

2) allow remapping controls to keyboard and mouse

3) allow preprogrammed combo's and macros

4) allow you to script controls

5) allow you to record and playback your moves

I use the Cronus Max pro plus:

http://cronusmax.com/precision-mouse-keyboard-control/

You can also use :

XIM4

http://xim4.com/

or the Titan one:

http://www.consoletuner.com/products/titan-one/

Microsoft is slowly catching up, but these offer much better features

for cost.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

What type of spinner controller do you use? i'd love to get one!

i bought a USB spinner off ebay for $30 several years ago.

there are some up now, but just the parts:

--------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Arcade-Rotary-Spinner-Control-Tron-Arknoid-Tempest-MAME-build-/172231750872?hash=item2819cff4d8:g:nVYAAOSwt7pXL8YT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-Atari-TEMPEST-SPINNER-A036794-Original-Arcade-Machine-Video-Game-Part-/122011841985?hash=item1c6878f5c1:g:MiYAAOSwqBJXWuw3

it's basically a mouse taken apart, and attached to a spinner control on top.

if you are good with tools you can make one:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_spinners.shtml

http://arcadecontrols.com/files/Miscellaneous/spinner.pdf

or buy a professional one, and just interface it with USB.

https://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.html

it works well for racing games, and many others that need precision control.

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

I use the Cronus Max pro plus:

http://cronusmax.com/precision-mouse-keyboard-control/

You can also use :

XIM4

http://xim4.com/

or the Titan one:

http://www.consoletuner.com/products/titan-one/

I may seriously have to try one of these out. I've heard of the Cronus Max a few years ago but wanted to wait and see if they would still be around after a while. Hmmmm

Oh look, it only took them 10 years, but Atari is finally releasing something similar to what I suggested before they shifted hands multiple times. Although not nearly as cool since it's just rehash 2600 over and over and over...

While I too am tired of rehashing the same 2600 and arcade stuff over and over again, it's a proven seller, so an ideal first product. Once that's in place, future offerings will definitely explore other platforms and properties.