IGNORED

Would you buy a new Atari Console focused on homebrews and indie games?

It's something to consider, a lot of indie games, even bigger budget FPS TPS ones, are relatively safe in hardware requirements. Imagine an Atari consoles, using carts or CD's where you get Atari homebrews, remakes of classics, and basically a physical consoles to play all those digital games one (which by now are around 2007 360 level), with exclusives, and new games built for it by maybe even some of the big companies.

I think that would take off. I'm surprised no one has tried it yet, I know the (cancelled?) Coleco Chameleon was trying to KIND of do this but this is completely different.

• Like 2

I don't see the point when I have well over a dozen great consoles that can play all matter of things. Frankly, I'm old... I doubt I will buy many more new consoles... and I really only have a handful of classic ones to go. I'm much more likely to look at buying a Supergun or something at this point than I would be to buy a new console, unless it was some kind of device that makes my life a little easier like a Retron or the Retro Freak.

• Like 2

Unfortunately after the Chameleon debacle I doubt this idea will get tried, at least for a while.

Speaking for myself, despite the fact that I'm up to my ears in consoles already, Yes I would want one, if it were unique and fun and not too expensive. ;-)

:thumbsup:

It's something to consider, a lot of indie games, even bigger budget FPS TPS ones, are relatively safe in hardware requirements. Imagine an Atari consoles, using carts or CD's where you get Atari homebrews, remakes of classics, and basically a physical consoles to play all those digital games one (which by now are around 2007 360 level), with exclusives, and new games built for it by maybe even some of the big companies.

I think that would take off. I'm surprised no one has tried it yet, I know the (cancelled?) Coleco Chameleon was trying to KIND of do this but this is completely different.

Get in touch with Mike Kennedy. I'm sure he will be all ears.

• Like 2

Already have a nice Atari console that focuses on home-brews and indie games. It's called the Atari 7800. And guess what? No pipe dreams necessary since it already exists and in abundance... spread the word and lets get more developers on board!

• Like 9

Honestly I don't see a point to supporting outdated formats where they aren't necessary. I enjoy my disc and cartridge consoles but I see no reason to have one purely to have the format. With things like greenlight and the still living homebrew scene I'm not sure why a box dedicated to this would be enticing as anything but a novelty. The chameleon always struck me as redundant at best.

I'd absolutely buy one, but only if it was released by a large and well known gaming company with enough pre-established industry credentials to guarantee third party support and enough money in the bank to ensure that the system's R&D, marketing, etc. was done right. I think everyone would like a new retro system to enjoy, but we've all had enough of crowd funded pipedreams and the fiascoes that seem to inevitably go along with them. At this point it would probably take a company like Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, or even Sega to find success in marketing a new retro console, since every endeavour by smaller companies and individuals thus far have all turned into disastrous exercises in how to betray consumer confidence.

Basically, any company that doesn't have at least two decades of experience in the video game industry and more than a billion dollars in the bank isn't going to be able to pull this idea off with any degree of success. And those companies that could do it, well, they all have more profitable ideas on their mind at the moment.

• Like 1

How is this different from your average existing Android-based console or handheld? I would think between things like that, our PCs, and the fact that consoles (at least from Sony and Microsoft, for now) appear to be heading down the almost permanently backwards-compatible route, we don't really need another option to specifically do what you're suggesting.

Maaayybe, but I'm thinking not. Instead of an entirely new console, I'd like to see efforts like the NoaC or GoaC systems, but instead for Atari consoles. Think Flashback 2 with better compatibility and an honest-to-goodness cartridge port. That I would definitely buy.

If it had to be an entirely new console, I've sometimes wondered what Atari's follow-up to the Atari 2600 would have looked like had they made the CTIA more directly compatible with the TIA. I imagine a game console that in some ways looks a lot like the 2600, and can play the 2600's games, but also has extra bits like, say, two additional sets of player-missile graphics with the same duplicate and triplicate tricks, a second set of playfield registers for higher resolution backgrounds and maybe a POKEY or other such sound chip in addition to the TIA's on-board sound, all driven by an actual 6502 to allow for more RAM and bigger cartridges. That I might buy, but would there really be a market for such a thing in this day and age?

• Like 1

No, just let it go. Cartridges and CD's should stay on past platforms where they belong. Don't need another console with an Atari sticker on it to play indie games. Its fine the way it is right now on PC (and modern consoles). It's patchable, its conveniant, it's cheap and in many cases you have multiple ways to play (keyboard, mouse, gamepad etc). As far as homebrews go, I like playing them on the original hardware they were made for.

• Like 1

Didn't Nolan Bushnell say something to the effect of, "hardware is just something you need to have in order to get to the software?" A console is a necessary evil, but when it's completely unnecessary, well ...

That's true on the base level but hardware can be and is special, which is why we dive into it and is what makes the software and overall experience unique. Right?

Edited by Clint Thompson