IGNORED

Homebrew games packages

Philsan

Many A8 homebrew games have awesome packages so I started this thread.

Oddly, I haven't found a photo of Yoomp! package on the Internet so I made a photo of mine (didn't remember a pencil was included...).

I am a bit lazy so all photos (Yoomp! and Dungeon Hunt apart) are from Internet.

I want to point out that the following games are available for free; you had to pay only if you wanted the boxed edition.

Nevertheless, they sold many copies.

Dimo's Quest (cart isn't available yet)

post-12528-0-20314400-1466948289_thumb.jpg

Bomb Jake

post-12528-0-75282100-1466948279_thumb.jpg

Yoomp!

post-12528-0-62457500-1466948315_thumb.png

Hobgoblin

post-12528-0-76207000-1466948299_thumb.jpg

Robbo Forever

post-12528-0-79152200-1466948301_thumb.jpg

Dungeon Hunt

post-12528-0-63463400-1466948298_thumb.jpg

Thetris-Rolltris

post-12528-0-04236900-1466948304_thumb.jpg

Kolony 2106

post-12528-0-63783400-1466948300_thumb.jpg

Bomber

post-12528-0-99361200-1466960954_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Thanks for reminding me I missed Bomb Jake ;-)

I have the other two PRO© releases besides Thetris & the 25th anniversary Tecno Ninja

Simon, could you please make a photo of Techno Ninja package? I don't have it and found only a rendering.

Hey, you forgot Ransack ;) :grin::

post-6517-0-88529600-1467377866_thumb.jpg

https://proc-atari.de/en/ransack-game-system-atari-xl-xe-format-disk

And Bomber that you posted this:

post-6517-0-05864300-1467377921_thumb.jpg

... Here's a design of the box where you can see the nice way builded box:

post-6517-0-04041600-1467378034_thumb.jpg

https://proc-atari.de/en/software-boardgames/bomber-deluxe-edition-game-system-atari-xl-xe-format-disk

:thumbsup:

P.s.- https://proc-atari.de/en/index

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 4

And Techno Ninja 25th Aniversary Edition (also at Pro©):

post-6517-0-90115300-1467378408_thumb.png

https://proc-atari.de/en/tecno-ninja-25th-anniversary-edition-game-system-atari-xl-xe-format-disk

And again at the same place Cave Blaster +:

post-6517-0-47747200-1467378580_thumb.jpg

https://proc-atari.de/en/caveblaster-game-system-atari-xl-xe-format-disk

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'd really like to get this Dimo's Quest! Is the cartridge version available yet? Will it all be sold as a collector's edition?

Many A8 homebrew games have awesome packages so I started this thread.

Oddly, I haven't found a photo of Yoomp! package on the Internet so I made a photo of mine (didn't remember a pencil was included...).

I am a bit lazy so all photos (Yoomp! and Dungeon Hunt apart) are from Internet.

I want to point out that the following games are available for free; you had to pay only if you wanted the boxed edition.

Nevertheless, they sold many copies.

Dimo's Quest (cart isn't available yet)

attachicon.gifDimo's Quest-2.jpg

Bomb Jake

attachicon.gifBomb Jake.jpg

Yoomp!

attachicon.gifYoomp! (2)-2.png

Hobgoblin

attachicon.gifHobgoblin.jpg

Robbo Forever

attachicon.gifRobbo Forever 15 Euro.jpg

Dungeon Hunt

attachicon.gifDungeon Hunt-2.jpg

Thetris-Rolltris

attachicon.gifThetris-Rolltris.jpg

Kolony 2106

attachicon.gifKolony 2106 15 Euro.jpg

Bomber

attachicon.gifBomber.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Laura (website - order page), another example of best practices.

Game free to download, awesome nice price package (25 Euro + shipping), 4 days shipping (Europe).

attachicon.giflaura_edycja2.png

I have I think all the free versions of all of these games in the thread, and I totally agree about best practices, as aside from a couple of them that I don't care for, and never play the free versions either, as long as any of these are still available to order, I intend to do so eventually, or maybe as many as I can all at once next tax return season. Original commercial or homebrew, if I like the program I full intend and try to eventually purchase the originals and professionally produced box sets like these too.

And even some of the publishers that shall remain un-named by me who seem paranoid and don't release free versions, I also buy the ones I like too. Though I was forced to buy them first, to do reviews for Excel magazine, and others I could review for free and buy the ones I like later. But I had no qualms about just buying the games I needed for the reviews, since they were games that interested me anyway, so I would have purchased them eventually. There are releases by the same people that don't interest me, and unless I can borrow them from someone, I won't be reviewing myself, maybe another reviewer for Excel can. But, thanks to the actual publisher, I was given a very generous discount on the purchase of the games since I was purchasing them for a magazine review. Nice guy there!

And of course one of these releases I tried to purchase, but they never actually responded to my actual attempt to purchase as instructed through PM, until they posted in public forum accusing me of attempting to get something for free and then finally reveal that we supposedly had a flame war years ago that I have no memory of or the person, and that was actually the true reason they would not sell to me. Oh well. I am a supporter of all developers, even that guy, and would buy from him even still, if he would sell to me. I'd even do an honest review in Excel still! Becuase I've no clue what they are on about and I don't hold grudges any, proven by the fact I don't remember anything, if it actually occurred. I only doubt because they say it occurred through PM's and I know I'd never waste my time having an argument through PM's and only long ago in another forum in a public thread have I ever had flame wars...and I remember EXACTLY who I had them with, as I can view them all on my blocked list! That's the only way I even remember most of them. Personally, I think it's all a case of mistaken identity with someone who had a similar handle to mine...

Edited by Gunstar

One big concern about going to a service to have packaging made and ordering the materials is how many would you need. If you order too many, and don't sell enough to cover the cost of materials, you loose money. Order not enough, some people will get the game without the packaging. Something not everyone is stating is how many units had been sold. It is actually better to have a generalized box or plastic case that you can put stickers on or put in inserts that you can print with your own printer with the amount you need.

Albert on the 2600 forum stated he has many boxes from the 2600 game cartridges that have been selling real slow. Taking up space. I suggested this ideal to him https://www.retrogamecases.com/a-detailed-look/2600-2/

I am not sure those universal game cases will hold the 8-bit cartridges snug in place. http://thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-%7C-full-sleeve-insert/ *They are great for every other game cartridge expect the Atari 8-bit. Video 61 and I passed on the ideal back in May because we were concerned the cartridge will shake around inside during shipping and could damage it.

* Directly from the site is the cheapest I found.I have seen people selling them in smaller batches on Amazon and Ebay that would be more per unit.

Edited by peteym5

• 3 months later...

Nowadays many homebrew games use every bit of hardware power.

Some of them take advantage of the fact PAL machines have more time for calculations during vertical blank interrupt.

Therefore they are not compatible with NTSC machines.

With few exceptions, all Atari games are free to download so you can try them with Altirra emulator setted to NTSC before purchasing boxed version.

Otherwise, you can ask sellers about NTSC compatibility.

• Like 1

Nowadays many homebrew games use every bit of hardware power.

Some of them take advantage of the fact PAL machines have more time for calculations during vertical blank interrupt.

Therefore they are not compatible with NTSC machines.

With few exceptions, all Atari games are free to download so you can try them with Altirra emulator setted to NTSC before purchasing boxed version.

Otherwise, you can ask sellers about NTSC compatibility.

Gotcha, makes sense. I'd love some more cartridge releases of 8-bit homebrew here in the States. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy (and purchase) 2600 and 7800 home brew, too, but the 8-bit seems to be lacking!

One big concern about going to a service to have packaging made and ordering the materials is how many would you need. If you order too many, and don't sell enough to cover the cost of materials, you loose money. Order not enough, some people will get the game without the packaging. Something not everyone is stating is how many units had been sold. It is actually better to have a generalized box or plastic case that you can put stickers on or put in inserts that you can print with your own printer with the amount you need.

Albert on the 2600 forum stated he has many boxes from the 2600 game cartridges that have been selling real slow. Taking up space. I suggested this ideal to him https://www.retrogamecases.com/a-detailed-look/2600-2/

I am not sure those universal game cases will hold the 8-bit cartridges snug in place. http://thevideostoreshopper.com/universal-game-case/universal-game-case-%7C-full-sleeve-insert/ *They are great for every other game cartridge expect the Atari 8-bit. Video 61 and I passed on the ideal back in May because we were concerned the cartridge will shake around inside during shipping and could damage it.

* Directly from the site is the cheapest I found.I have seen people selling them in smaller batches on Amazon and Ebay that would be more per unit.

I use a foam cut-out inserted in the universal case to fit the case and the cartridge and guaranteed not to budge. I print my own covers and labels with my $75 Epson ink-jet with high quality paper and adhesive paper. I even re-did the horrible and cheap casing and labels Video61 did with the Xenophobe and Tower Toppler cartridges and moved it into a real case, printed my own original glossy manual too! Then I re-used Video61's cheap, disposable, bubble-mold cases with horrible labels and used them for other cartridges I have with no boxes. I found images on the net for the case and labels, printed and glued them myself inside of twenty minutes and they look professional and put Video61's packaging to the shame they deserve for such lazy and cheap, careless packaging! All done on a bare-bones budget, made in short order as I need them. Anyone with half a brain and no talent can do the same. Maybe Video61 needs to farm out the packaging to us home-brew 'professionals!" :rolling:

I would be embarrassed to the core to sell games released in the packaging Vieo61 carelessly provides! And I would have bought many more of the proto and your own games if better packaging, like what I made at home in minutes for dirt cheap was done! :woozy:

Video61` even managed to screw up the XE cartridge cases by super-gluing them on the sides, with as much finesse as a 5-year-old and they looked terrible, I had to sand them down and re-paint them! Just an absolutely lazy, careless and cheap job all around! Worst of all, Video61 charges more money for games with this terrible and lazy packaging than it costs to buy the collector's editions of the games in this thread! And the height of irony that the ones with the worst final product for the highest cost are the only ones who don't give it away digitally for free and worry the most about piracy that doesn't exist! :thumbsdown: And if it did exist, who would blame them if the pirate could make his cartridges and packaging at home that is phenomenally better than what they would get if they payed for it! :-o

post-149-0-55828700-1547658192_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-13097200-1547658224_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-82312900-1547658244_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-42732700-1547658362_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-67408400-1547658385_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-92501700-1547658408_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-09973000-1547658683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 6

Are any of these games available in for purchase and shipment to the US? People are mentioning PAL vs. NTSC in this thread but I thought Atari 8-bit computer games didn't differentiate between PAL and NTSC? All games from overseas have always worked for me here in the States...

Yes, many of these games can be bought from suppliers who also send their products to the US. many of these posts already contain a link ;)

But to give you some:

https://proc-atari.de/en/software-boardgames

http://retronics.eu/kolekcjonerska-edycja-gier/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JimSlide/posts/

And if you browse this forum, you will find many topics of the authors of these games so you can contact them directly.

I am selling homebrew packages too, for example ANG Greatest Hits and (soon available) T34 collectors edition.

You have to be careful though, I don't know if all these games are compatible with NTSC computers.

• Like 2

I would be embarrassed to the core to sell games released in the packaging Vieo61 carelessly provides! And I would have bought many more of the proto and your own games if better packaging, like what I made at home in minutes for dirt cheap was done!

I would state my opinion a bit less blunt ;) , but I totally agree Gunstar! A few years ago I bought a copy of Xenophobe from CharlieChaplin (who bought 2 of them at Video61) and I was shocked when I received the cart. A very ugly printed label and a simple black and white 1 page manual. With a simple home printer they could have made a far better label and manual for less than a dollar.... there are so many options to create a nice packaging for software without breaking the bank....

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 4

It's simply a lack of pride in workmanship, laziness and too cheap to spend less than a dollar on packaging. Their lack of interest in doing a good product easily translates into low sales and a lack of interest on the consumer's part. Not piracy, that and investment are just plain excuses to the truth I just stated.

I'm done bending over backwards for the crap they shill (considering the price for what you get, if games were $10-20 it would be different). Even in the reviews I did for some of their games in Excel. I purposelessly totally ignored the quality of the packaging in a bias in their favor, so as not to cause them sales due to it, as I've done business with Lance for decades (and he gave me a nice discount, that I didn't ask for, for doing reviews). The truth of my games scores was based solely on the game itself, on the same level as games that are free downloads. But with all the excuses Peter throws around all the time, I am just sick of being nice and polite about their products. Had I been completely unbiased in every regard, I would have given the games lower scores due to packaging, and questioned the value in their purchase. I'm sorry. I'm coming clean now because I'm up to my neck in BS excuses from Peter. The day they decide to really care, and sell their games with quality, inexpensive packaging, I will buy 3-4 of Peter's games within 24 hours, even after all of this. Games I've been interested in and haven't bought yet for exactly the reason of poor manufacture and packaging verses price, to this point.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

We all want our fellow Atarians to succeed. The main point is always the quality of the code, graphics, and more-so gameplay including the inventiveness of how a person or group accomplishes it. The big problem has come down to quality of the medium.. if a person insists on using a certain medium at a premium and only that medium for delivery as if that's the selling point... then show the medium in a quality or choice light...

Not sure what else to say. After all these years it's a blessing to see some change in a positive direction... we all push for the best and hoped they'd cross the finish line. It's still possible. I know I hold out endless hope.

• Like 4

Whatever the excuses given for sticking to the media type once again comes down to purely being cheap. Lance has a ton of 16K Atari cartridge PCB and cases he wants to use up, and for the few games from Peter larger than 16K, like Secretum Labyrinth, they obviously use OSS/Rokan style cases and PCB's which Lance probably has a bunch on hand for them too. They are just trying to sell $50 games at a cost of as near absolute $0 of new investment as they can, and it's actually costing them much more in lack of sales they otherwise would have in a quality product that care was put into.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5

I was just browsing the webpage of Video61 and I see a cartridge version of Zybex. Does anyone know what the story is of this cartridge?

As far as I know Zeppelin gave permission of selling this title on disk to Callisto Computers (UK) and later on Zeppelin sold all rights of this game (and all other Zeppelin titles) to Derek Ferns MicroDiscount (UK) who gave/sold sublicenses to A.N.G. Software (Netherlands) and LK Avalon (Poland). According to CharlieChaplin the German rights were sold to KE Soft.I have never heard of a license that was sold to the US. But I can be wrong.... Does anyone know if this cartridge is legal?

I am just curious. I don't mind when this cartridge is homebrew, I thought I knew what happened to the rights of Zeppelin Software, so I would like to learn.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1