IGNORED

Why are INTV homebrews harder to come by?

The LTO Flash! and the Hive multi-carts are in the works but do not have a release date yet. In the meantime, there is the Cuttle Cart 3 but since they are out of production, their prices have skyrocketed.

Yeah, I think it's a chicken/egg situation. You need inexpensive and readily available dev tools to get new blood making games. I've done Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis homebrew long enough to know relying on emulation can bite you in the arse (and waste time if the game doesn't work on real hardware.)

It's been said before, but Intellivision emulation is pretty damned solid. I don't think anyone's actually ran into something that works in emulation, but doesn't on real hardware. Most of the use of developing on real hardware revolves around the rather unique controller - and even that can be overcome with USB versions.

I say this as someone that stubbornly insists on testing on real hardware on a regular basis, so I hear ya. Just pointing out that you don't have to worry about the "usual" problems. There's no reason you can't get a game 90-95% done without ever touching a console.

• Like 1

It's been said before, but Intellivision emulation is pretty damned solid. I don't think anyone's actually ran into something that works in emulation, but doesn't on real hardware. Most of the use of developing on real hardware revolves around the rather unique controller - and even that can be overcome with USB versions.

I say this as someone that stubbornly insists on testing on real hardware on a regular basis, so I hear ya. Just pointing out that you don't have to worry about the "usual" problems. There's no reason you can't get a game 90-95% done without ever touching a console.

...if you use the newest version of jzintv.

And the newest MAME if you want save states

Ah, that's disappointing. At least I'll have Boulder Dash.

I care a lot more about playing the games than having the box and etc, so the LTO cart sounds promising.

If future games start using custom hardware unique to the cartridge it might make using the multicarts more complicated, we'll see.

Collectorvision has mentioned that rom files become available for free once cartridges sell out. Intellivision Revolution has indicated that rom files might be made available for free. In both cases it probably depends on the programmer. Electronite has said that they make enough cartridges that they don't expect to sell out (not sure of the status of all their games other than DKs). LTO games have the rom files available for fee, except the Space Patrol rom file is a preview version. Groovybee hasn't released any games yet except though BBWW; my understanding is that game is sold out and no rom file available.

Here's a nice list of the publishers. http://www.intellivisionrevolution.com/released-homebrew-games .

Groovybee hasn't released any games yet except though BBWW; my understanding is that game is sold out and no rom file available.

Not quite true. I've had two 7800 games in the AA store for more than 5 years now. I've given away plenty of WIP games on various platforms too. The Piggy Bank ROM will be available on Hive with extra levels.

From what I've seen opening up the cart shells of the ones I have, there are currently three sources of boards:

Intelligentvision

5-11under

LTO

Intelligentvision uses their own boards, AFAIK. These may have undergone a couple of revisions.

Intellivision Revolution and CollectorVision to this point have been using boards from 5-11under, I think.

I can't check at the moment but I *think* Piggy Bank also uses 5-11under's boards.

I can't check at the moment what Blix used. Maybe 5-11under's boards as well.

LTO and Elektronite use LTO's boards. I can't check the DK Arcade releases from Elektronite (the loose cart one), but I'm pretty sure all of those are on LTO boards.

Finally, I can't check the original "Zbiciak Electronics" release of 4-tris to see what boards it used.

Surely others will chime in with more info, too.