IGNORED

Sega Saturn copy protection cracked after 22 years

Without the disc drive being necessary, I'd be very interested in making a "mini" Saturn by reinstalling the chips in a new casing.

Hmm... I need to get to work on things...

Could be an interesting idea for a custom case, but unfortunately I don't think you'd shrink the footprint down much asides from making it thinner vertically. The Saturn mobo seems to fill the majority of the case width-wise.

Could be an interesting idea for a custom case, but unfortunately I don't think you'd shrink the footprint down much asides from making it thinner vertically. The Saturn mobo seems to fill the majority of the case width-wise.

True, but if I could have something thin and flat (ie: a system could be on top of it) I'd actually have enough room in my setup for a Saturn.

True, but if I could have something thin and flat (ie: a system could be on top of it) I'd actually have enough room in my setup for a Saturn.

No excuses man.. There is always room in anyone's setup for a Saturn. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. :D

• Like 2

I'll take your challenge haha. I'll take some pictures and you tell me where I could fit it. :P

Go for a wearable version if you can using your phone and google cardboard as your screen while dragging a small generator or lugging a car batter or 2 for power about. I sense a great idea for a new portable. ;)

So down for this!! My Saturn library is pretty solid but would love to have all the games on one SD like my cart systems. Plus those last few games I want but don't want to drop $$$$$ on.

Right like some of those Japan imports. Really though and I know there are home brews but maybe this might offer better options and possibilities for some truly amazing stuff as well.

awesome video the wife was looking at me like i was a total nerd but she knows i love games and engineering we met working at hewlett packard after all! so i am super excited about this because i have been wanting to get back into saturn but am worried about the hardware reliability and costs for things like rhea and now this here is hoping it happens soon!

• 2 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to a Saturn flash drive. I actually got a Saturn when it was on clearance when I was about 11 or 12. Unfortunately for me, games were incredibly hard to come by at that point. I ended up only getting the leftovers from a trip to the US and a couple from the local movie rental store, so my Saturn collection was like 6 games and none were very good. By the time I could afford to beef up the Saturn collection having had to catch up on tons of other systems first, Saturn prices had went up fairly high and I didn't feel like dropping hundreds for even a modest collection and I really didn't feel like dealing with busted jewel cases, too. This drive would be perfect. Could be a bit costly to have the space to fit all the ROMs on, but definitely worth it.

I look forward to this solution but what I fail to understand from the other posts is aside from saving the CD reader there are tons of solutions already like region free BIOS + Modchip or AR + PseudoSatrun [not 100% compatible but good for a lot of games], so why so many look a this one?

I admire the tech achievement but with the Saturn CD reader being usually pretty solid, why would many look at this particular device as "the solution" for them?

[Depending on cost I will likely buy one myself but both my Saturns have RegionFree bios and modchip and I do have 2 MCPs for PseudoSaturn, so this particular device will NOT help me play any game I cannot already, but of course it may help me preserve the CD reader as well as being more compact even if I do not plan on having "the complete collection"]

I look forward to this solution but what I fail to understand from the other posts is aside from saving the CD reader there a tons of solutions already like region free BIOS + Modchip or AR + PseudoSatrun [not 100% compatible but good for a lot of games], so why so many look a this one?

I admire the tech achievement but with the Saturn CD reader being usually pretty solid, why would many look at this particular device as "the solution" for them?

[Depending on cost I will likely buy one myself but both my Saturns have RegionFree bios and modchipped and I do have 2MCP for Pseudo Saturn, so this particular device will NOT help me play any game I cannot already but it may help me preserve the CD reader as well as being more compact even if I do not plan on having "the complete collection"]

Because this one got "press coverage" I guess. He announced he was working on this 2 years ago but really only got picked up now cause of the youtube video.

• Like 1

CD drives are bound to fail at some point, so I appreciate a solution that allows me to bypass it without gutting the hardware at the same time. Also, as it's been stated earlier in the thread, this new solution does not require the user to open up their system (the opposite of Rhea and Phoebe), and it's essentially the equivalent to the console flash carts that have been around for a while. No mods, no chips, no soldering, no flashing existing carts, no burning discs. Basically, it's easy and that's part of the appeal.

• Like 1

CD drives are bound to fail at some point, so I appreciate a solution that allows me to bypass it without gutting the hardware at the same time. Also, as it's been stated earlier in the thread, this new solution does not require the user to open up their system (the opposite of Rhea and Phoebe), and it's essentially the equivalent to the console flash carts that have been around for a while. No mods, no chips, no soldering, no flashing existing carts, no burning discs. Basically, it's easy and that's part of the appeal.

that and the fact that understanding the security protocols opens doors for home brew development in a new way as well. Wouldn't it be nice to get a new Saturn game?

• Like 2

that and the fact that understanding the security protocols opens doors for home brew development in a new way as well. Wouldn't it be nice to get a new Saturn game?

Oh yeah,aslo there's a New hombrew dev in town for the Saturn,called Titán game studios and already they're working on their first project,here's their facebook https://www.facebook.com/titangamestudio/

• Like 1

Looking forward to this as well. My mod chip on my Saturn (along with the Action Replay cart) has served me well, but the mod chip is only useful so long as the disc drive is working, and we all know that it won't last forever. I hope they can produce these for a reasonable cost.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this as well. My mod chip on my Saturn (along with the Action Replay cart) has served me well, but the mod chip is only useful so long as the disc drive is working, and we all know that it won't last forever. I hope they can produce these for a reasonable cost.

Yeah that was my worry with my chipped Saturn as well. Hopefully it will just keep running right along without issue but if not keep a spare Saturn handy just in case.

So down for this!! My Saturn library is pretty solid but would love to have all the games on one SD like my cart systems. Plus those last few games I want but don't want to drop $$$$$ on.

You can do that right now. Pick up either a Saturn Rhea or Phoebe (depending on your version). I have a Rhea and a 128gb card holds all US releases. A 256gb card all JP releases.

• 7 months later...

I stumbled upon this video again and as a result went looking for the guy who is working on this. It seems he has a Patreon page where he is posting regular updates (the latest as of about a week ago). It seems like he is making progress on it and is currently working out shells for the device.

Link: https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasive

• Like 1

Rhea was a solution that was a step in the right direction, but I think this new mod will make it obsolete.

The Rhea allows for original operation of the saturn. So games that make use of the VCD card will still function. This new device won't allow for that. Even though 99.9% of saturn owners won't care, as far as maintaining historical operation of the system, the Rhea isn't obsolete.

The Rhea allows for original operation of the saturn. So games that make use of the VCD card will still function. This new device won't allow for that. Even though 99.9% of saturn owners won't care, as far as maintaining historical operation of the system, the Rhea isn't obsolete.

Probably more along the lines of 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of Saturn owners won't care, but I get what you are saying regardless. I'm all for options.

I'm really conflicted on whether to wait for this or try to get a Rhea. The Rhea seems like it works really well, but I'm not stoked at the idea of opening my Saturn and removing the drive and possibly damaging something, particularly the ribbon cable. Abrasive's cart sounds awesome, but you're dependent on the rear cart slot for it to work and that thing is just as delicate as the top cart slot. It took ~20 tries to get the thing to see my backup RAM cart when I got it. It's a good quandary to have.

I stumbled upon this video again and as a result went looking for the guy who is working on this. It seems he has a Patreon page where he is posting regular updates (the latest as of about a week ago). It seems like he is making progress on it and is currently working out shells for the device.

Link: https://www.patreon.com/prof_abrasive

Satiator !!!

Hope it will come soon at good price :)