IGNORED

Sega Saturn copy protection cracked after 22 years

I'm really conflicted on whether to wait for this or try to get a Rhea. The Rhea seems like it works really well, but I'm not stoked at the idea of opening my Saturn and removing the drive and possibly damaging something, particularly the ribbon cable. Abrasive's cart sounds awesome, but you're dependent on the rear cart slot for it to work and that thing is just as delicate as the top cart slot. It took ~20 tries to get the thing to see my backup RAM cart when I got it. It's a good quandary to have.

The Rhea comes with a new ribbon cable, if you want to use it is up to you.

The install is incredibly simple. Only thing you need extra care with is the flap on the ZIF connector

• Like 1

I'll probably pick up a gamer's cartridge one there in production again, I likely won't pick up the rhea/pheobe until a drive dies on one of my Saturns. I've tried to pick one up but pre-order all finish in mater of hours. I have a pretty large collection of physical games for the Saturn, so I am not sure I'd be super excited to not play the originals anymore. I actually use my VCD cart so I'm not also immediately keen on abrasives cart.

I would never use the Pseudo Saturn cart, myself. All you're doing is accelerating the death of the laser by using CD-Rs. You'll end up needing an ODE or Abrasive's cart anyway.

Ah but one would have to ask the question on replacement laser vs longevity vs REAH costs. The last laser I bought was around $20 and as for how long with that last I think that's something each end user would need to determine.

I am however gung ho on not using my original game disks for a few games but I still see plenty games out and about since the Saturn is really more of a niche market for collectors.

Both my friends have 0 desire to delve into it and most of the time its the costs of games or accessories. Those damn controllers are really a tough find or have been for me locally anyhow.