IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

I keep hearing FEB or MARCH and the words "Slow boat from China"...

I actually think it would have been a nice gesture of goodwill on Nintendo's part, if they had found a way to bring in a couple of planeloads of them for the holidays...

Oh well, Too late now...

I only hope there's still some interest when they do arrive...

• Like 2

The price on eBay is steadily falling, as far as the selling average. It is below $150 now and was $240 two weeks ago.

One thing just changed though... the controller price. You can buy long corded (1.5 meter) controllers for the Mini all over eBay, from outside the US, shipped, for under $10.

Charge TOO much and someone is going to step up... just like Game Boy Advance SP's and DS Lites you can buy all day long as fully boxed knockoffs from China, that work enough to fool many people even after they receive it. Nintendo better not screw around with this much longer or there will be counterfeits and other scams surrounding these consoles.

Remember the Atari Flashback 2's that were completely boxed knockoffs? I purchased on unknowingly in the US.

Not sure if anyone remembers how hard it was to get a DS, and later the DS Lite after launch... but I do. There was mass shortages that went on for months. Not as bad in the US as Japan, but still weren't available consistently for a year or so.

MrBlackCat

• Like 2

The price on eBay is steadily falling, as far as the selling average. It is below $150 now and was $240 two weeks ago.

One thing just changed though... the controller price. You can buy long corded (1.5 meter) controllers for the Mini all over eBay, from outside the US, shipped, for under $10.

Charge TOO much and someone is going to step up... just like Game Boy Advance SP's and DS Lites you can buy all day long as fully boxed knockoffs from China, that work enough to fool many people even after they receive it. Nintendo better not screw around with this much longer or there will be counterfeits and other scams surrounding these consoles.

Remember the Atari Flashback 2's that were completely boxed knockoffs? I purchased on unknowingly in the US.

Not sure if anyone remembers how hard it was to get a DS, and later the DS Lite after launch... but I do. There was mass shortages that went on for months. Not as bad in the US as Japan, but still weren't available consistently for a year or so.

MrBlackCat

I preordered my "DS Phat" and still have it. The first few months are always painful however with few software titles to choose from.

As for the fakes, unless the China counterfeiters manage to duplicate the OS, I imagine the fakes will have horrid build quality and software. Think like the hacked title screens on the multicart Fami bootlegs.

I wrongy assumed these would be everywhere after Christmas. What is wrong with Nintendo? Looks like I'll be checking GameXChange for trade ins. :roll:

• Like 1

<snip>

I wrongy assumed these would be everywhere after Christmas. What is wrong with Nintendo? Looks like I'll be checking GameXChange for trade ins. :roll:

How did you wrongly assume this? You never said HOW long after Christmas... or even WHICH Christmas for that matter. I think you are covered. :D

They will flood in here soon... do you realize how long those freighters actually take to arrive in the US? It really is several weeks... we don't know when they actually left either though. I think these little things have already become legend. Frankly, I am glad Nintendo made them and I hope they make a LOT of money with them. I really don't think this craze is all that crazy though. I am glad they got all the free press.

Today I decided to "make the rounds" and went to more than a dozen stores of many types to look at gaming in general. I didn't expect to find an NES Classic Mini, and didn't. One thing I did notice is the lack of Nintendo consoles and handhelds in general. They are still mostly sold out here. A couple of stores had a couple of Wii U's. Most stores had 3 to 10 3DS XL's, but none had any of the other models... just the Cosmic looking one and another. There were also only a very few 2DS's.

I hope they step up production in the future, but selling out is the best thing to do in the short term financial setting... one might argue that this hurts customers not being able to meet demand, but I really doubt that with a name as deeply rooted as Nintendo.

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 1

They are still mostly sold out here. A couple of stores had a couple of Wii U's. Most stores had 3 to 10 3DS XL's, but none had any of the other models... just the Cosmic looking one and another. There were also only a very few 2DS's.

dunno about where you live but that's pretty much the anemic stock our local stores have had for quite a while now, just a few random systems with dust on them behind glass cases with no one around to look at them

I swear our local walmart has had the same single wii U for at least since summer, and before then it was 2 of them heh

Edited by Osgeld

Most stores had 3 to 10 3DS XL's, but none had any of the other models... just the Cosmic looking one and another. There were also only a very few 2DS's.

I absolutely love the look of that "Cosmic" 3DS xL. I may yet "upgrade" mine but I don't have a lot of disposable income atm and I need to save up for the Switch.

Might not mean anything, but I had to make the rounds to replace a defective DVD boxset that is disappearing so I was in three different Wal-Mart's yesterday until I found what I needed to exchange, and I checked the Nintendo section at each.

Not only are Wii U's extinct without price stickers present on the shelf in their locked cabinets now, but they've also stripped the NES Classic price stickers alongside where Wii U's were located from each of these three stores. Inquired at one and none are even on order.

I wonder if Nintendo is even going to try to meet demand for these in 2017?

Edited by Atariboy

I hope they step up production in the future, but selling out is the best thing to do in the short term financial setting... one might argue that this hurts customers not being able to meet demand, but I really doubt that with a name as deeply rooted as Nintendo.

MrBlackCat

It has to hurt them some because I'm pretty sure I can't be the only person who lost all interest in purchasing this item after the initial excitement has worn off due to the shortages.

• Like 2

It's difficult to tell what the fallout will be.

My friends are mixed. Some have had enough and claim this is one too many out of a long line of disappointments, others are such Nintendo fans that nothing will sway them from their love of the brand.

Physical retailers may not be very forgiving, either. Products demand planning and physical shelf space. Craziness like campers, lines, phone calls, require staff and man hours. Retailers don't like a "high maintenance" product like the NES Classic unless there is enough stock sold to compensate for the increased costs and complications, which there definitely was not for the NES Classic.

Unsold Wii U stock sat on shelves for years. Retailers don't like that. The NES Classic could have made up for that by selling millions, but Nintendo didn't fill demand. It doesn't matter if the shortage was planned or accidental, this is not good business for retailers.

One way or another, I suspect there will be at least some negative impact on the Nintendo brand, even if it is relatively short term.

Might not mean anything, but I had to make the rounds to replace a defective DVD boxset that is disappearing so I was in three different Wal-Mart's yesterday until I found what I needed to exchange, and I checked the Nintendo section at each.

Not only are Wii U's extinct without price stickers present on the shelf in their locked cabinets now, but they've also stripped the NES Classic price stickers alongside where Wii U's were located from each of these three stores. Inquired at one and none are even on order.

I wonder if Nintendo is even going to try to meet demand for these in 2017?

I think the Walmart employees just removed the UPC for out of stock items. Nintendo warned Wii-U production was being discontinued last fall and the once Christmas restocks were gone, there would be no more. So anyone thinking they could just pick up a wii-U for cheap after the Switch releases is deluding themselves. And the wii-U primarily sold to the diehards who don't normally resell their games.

As for the NES Minis, I don't think they've ever sat on shelves at all, going straight from behind the counter or stockroom to customers already queued up at open time.

It has to hurt them some because I'm pretty sure I can't be the only person who lost all interest in purchasing this item after the initial excitement has worn off due to the shortages.

I just figured i could walk in and buy one anywhere after Christmas but that now appears to not be the case.

• Like 1

It's difficult to tell what the fallout will be.

My friends are mixed. Some have had enough and claim this is one too many out of a long line of disappointments, others are such Nintendo fans that nothing will sway them from their love of the brand.

Physical retailers may not be very forgiving, either. Products demand planning and physical shelf space. Craziness like campers, lines, phone calls, require staff and man hours. Retailers don't like a "high maintenance" product like the NES Classic unless there is enough stock sold to compensate for the increased costs and complications, which there definitely was not for the NES Classic.

Unsold Wii U stock sat on shelves for years. Retailers don't like that. The NES Classic could have made up for that by selling millions, but Nintendo didn't fill demand. It doesn't matter if the shortage was planned or accidental, this is not good business for retailers.

One way or another, I suspect there will be at least some negative impact on the Nintendo brand, even if it is relatively short term.

I disagree. Retailers want stuff to sell out and not sit on shelves. I don't see how the Mini is a burden on retailers. Customer service departments are staffed and waiting to help customers regardless of the volume of calls they receive. If anything, employees dealing with stuff like campers, etc is just a welcome distraction from the usual ho-hum. They are paid the same salaries whether or not customers are queued up outside or not. And it's hardly black Friday level pandemonium every time they get a few units in stock.

Noticed a lone Wii U console (the Mariocart version) at the local Walmart...at $329 CDN, not a price I'd pay for that system. $200, perhaps. These things didn't take any drop in price...peripherals, perhaps, much like the Wii stuff that went on sale in the year that followed the end of production. But it looks like Nintendo isn't about to dump the system or games. I bought the majority of my Wii collection when much of it was being sold off at $20 a game (and even less).

• Like 1

Noticed a lone Wii U console (the Mariocart version) at the local Walmart...at $329 CDN, not a price I'd pay for that system. $200, perhaps. These things didn't take any drop in price...peripherals, perhaps, much like the Wii stuff that went on sale in the year that followed the end of production. But it looks like Nintendo isn't about to dump the system or games. I bought the majority of my Wii collection when much of it was being sold off at $20 a game (and even less).

Many of the games are now $20 Selects titles. I still need to get Twilight Princess but $60 is steep and not sure if it will ever get a Selects release.

There won't be a price drop this time as they already quit making them. So used consoles have the potential to stay fairly high even as the Switch comes out. Like I said, the diehards that bought the consoles won't be willing to let go much. Gamestop sells them used bundled with the Gamepad for around $250 when they get them in. I predict it may briefly dip to below $200 used after the Switch launches, but due to the low volume sold combined with great library, and the fact it is useless without the Gamepad, I wouldn't expect them to ever be cheaply available around $100 or less. Those who wait around for a price drop, clearance sale, or good deal on a used unit may be disappointed.

<snip>

I predict it may briefly dip to below $200 used after the Switch launches, but due to the low volume sold combined with great library, and the fact it is useless without the Gamepad,

<snip>

Accurate prediction... You do realize the Nintendo has been offering on eBay the Wii U factory refurbished units for $200 by the thousands, right?

I almost got one, but decided on other stuff for now.

This is Nintendo on eBay... over 3,500 sold just on this listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Wii-U-32GB-Deluxe-Nintendo-Land-FACTORY-REFURBISHED-BY-NINTENDO-/112237169726

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

Accurate prediction... You do realize the Nintendo has been offering on eBay the Wii U factory refurbished units for $200 by the thousands, right?

I almost got one, but decided on other stuff for now.

This is Nintendo on eBay... over 3,500 sold just on this listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Wii-U-32GB-Deluxe-Nintendo-Land-FACTORY-REFURBISHED-BY-NINTENDO-/112237169726

MrBlackCat

From their feedback it looks like it is a hit or miss on whether you will get a working unit.

• Like 1

It occurs to me that picking the top 30 NES games is a difficult task. If there were an N64 mini, you could easily fit the top titles into a list of 30. The only slight challenge would be the licensing issues. Bond would be out of the question.

• Like 1

From their feedback it looks like it is a hit or miss on whether you will get a working unit.

Not really terrible if you look at pure odds. I would expect higher odds of issues with anything refurbished over new retail of course.

If you look at only the Wii U's in the feedback only 13 of the Negatives and Neutrals are Wii U's... of 3603 sold. That is a bit more than anyone would prefer I am sure... 1 in very 277 units. Is it worth the risk? I guess that is up to the purchaser.

Personally though, I think that is a LOT of money for any refurbished console.

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat

Not really terrible if you look at pure odds. I would expect higher odds of issues with anything refurbished over new retail of course.

If you look at only the Wii U's in the feedback only 13 of the Negatives and Neutrals are Wii U's... of 3603 sold. That is a bit more than anyone would prefer I am sure... 1 in very 277 units. Is it worth the risk? I guess that is up to the purchaser.

Personally though, I think that is a LOT of money for any refurbished console.

MrBlackCat

Yeah I'm not keen on buying refurbished items from large corporations. Especially, when most of the refurbished items are probably store returns that are being returned by their customers. I know a guy who buys used items and then goes out and purchases it brand new, and then returns the used item back to the store in the new box. Also, folks like to buy new items because they need a piece from it and then return it back to the store after they take the piece out. These are the types of items that are being returned to the manufacturer (Nintendo) by the stores that originally sold the item and in-return are being re-sold as refurbished. There many more examples of what the large corporations are calling refurbished items but with my luck I would end up with one of the example items I listed above.

Edited by thadsilverfox
  • Like 2

Quite. Some broken hardware. However several of those are from buyer error.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=nintendo&iid=112237169726&de=off&items=25&searchInterval=30&which=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365

I guess buying refurbed is playing Russian roulette, but in all honesty so is any "used" console from any store, online or brick and mortar.

1 in very 277 units. Is it worth the risk? I guess that is up to the purchaser.

277 chambers in the gun, one bullet. It's still Russian Roulette regardless of the odds. Also if you've ever went outside during a thunderstorm, driven a car, played any sport, eaten food of unknown origin, you're still spinning the roulette wheel.

• Like 1

Those are some pretty damn good odds when it comes to videogame consoles. Anyone remember when during the PS2 era, after a point it was something like one out of every four used systems were bad? Most-likely similar (or worse) numbers for the 360 when the RROD phenomenon hit.

1 out of 277 is amazing in comparison. And, worst-case, you can return it if it doesn't work (or file a PayPal dispute if Nintendo refuses to work with you).

• Like 3