IGNORED

Nintendo Classic Mini announced

What if they never go on clearance? What if the big "N" watches the sales and distro numbers like a hawk? As soon as sales slow down they might curb production - thus never allowing bargain-bin quantities to materialize.

Sometimes it is in a company's best interests to never let something be sold for cheap. That creates a low-class image.

What if they never go on clearance? What if the big "N" watches the sales and distro numbers like a hawk? As soon as sales slow down they might curb production - thus never allowing bargain-bin quantities to materialize.

Sometimes it is in a company's best interests to never let something be sold for cheap. That creates a low-class image.

There is always the secondary market.

I bought an Atari Flashback 2 earlier this year at a thrift shop for about Cdn$15, significantly below the original MSRP.

Yes, it took 12+ years, but I am in no great hurry to get a Mini either.

Everything (except consumables) turns up on the secondary market -- eventually. I used to work with someone who refused to purchase anything new if it could be purchased used. So, he bought food, toilet paper, gasoline, and that was about it.

Yes, but that's not the same as clearance. Nintendo will not be making a surplus of these that they have to slash the prices on them to move.

007 is wasting his time there if he thinks patience will net him a brand new NES Classic Edition or Wii U for a fraction of its MSRP with that strategy.

• Like 1

There is always the secondary market.

I bought an Atari Flashback 2 earlier this year at a thrift shop for about Cdn$15, significantly below the original MSRP.

Yes, it took 12+ years, but I am in no great hurry to get a Mini either.

Everything (except consumables) turns up on the secondary market -- eventually. I used to work with someone who refused to purchase anything new if it could be purchased used. So, he bought food, toilet paper, gasoline, and that was about it.

yea I get that way more and more every year, things are just so darn expensive, tend to get made cheaper, and people are so wasteful, where perfectly good items get tossed out for a fashion update ...

I just got a notification that a Best Buy near you should have the Nintendo Mini soon,potentially tomorrow yet....

I was supposed to get my Sons Playstation 4 VR reality headset by then as well from them by the 20th, in time for Christmas, delayed till the 27th at best!

Sorry son, Merry Christmas, love Mom and Dad!!! :(

Yes I am wasting my time. But I stopped by bestbuy tonight after the jackie move just now about kenedy. And he said no tickets tonight like on launch day. They will hand them out tomorrow at 7am. I already got up at 7am for gamestop last week. There were 2 guys already there 1 hour before gamestop was supposed to open. So they probably got there hours before or camped out over night. Tomorrow if tickets are being handed out 7am then I have to get up 4 or 5 am just to be safe. Maybe even earlier. And right now is 14 degrees. So tomorrow morning probably even colder or the same at least. So no thanks. It might never be clearance but you were the guys saying it will be no longer desired come December 26th just wait. So I will wait. And last night on ebay there was a used one for 100 starting bid. Not 200 like normal. So after people get board with it it won't be clearance. But it won't be 200+. People will be selling their used minis for 100 or less when the fun is over.

other than the shell and the box why not setup a laptop/netbook/old pc/ pi, get some BT and USB controllers and just emulate, its really not THAT hard, especially on a x86 platform (and not that much more work on a arm) and bam you got entire libraries with save states and blah blah blah with entire collections available on archive.org which is extremely public for several years now without a bitch slap from the companies

for years I did this with my xbox, I did retro games with my wii, and currently I found a old iCade arcade stand at goodwill for 99 cents and boxing it off to toss my unused 1.6 ghz dual core intel atom netbook in for a 1/8th ish scale i guess? desktop arcade machine ... I mean why not I only paid like 40 bucks for it like 4 years ago when my wife went back to school, and tossed some grades in it so, its got a dual core, 2 gig ram and a 400 gig SSD in it .. that will run N64 even with its intel core blah intergrated graphics

Edited by Osgeld

other than the shell and the box why not setup a laptop/netbook/old pc/ pi, get some BT and USB controllers and just emulate, its really not THAT hard, especially on a x86 platform (and not that much more work on a arm) and bam you got entire libraries with save states and blah blah blah with entire collections available on archive.org which is extremely public for several years now without a bitch slap from the companies

for years I did this with my xbox, I did retro games with my wii, and currently I found a old iCade arcade stand at goodwill for 99 cents and boxing it off to toss my unused 1.6 ghz dual core intel atom netbook in for a 1/8th ish scale i guess? desktop arcade machine ... I mean why not I only paid like 40 bucks for it like 4 years ago when my wife went back to school, and tossed some grades in it so, its got a dual core, 2 gig ram and a 400 gig SSD in it .. that will run N64 even with its intel core blah intergrated graphics

Because roms are illegal and this is official. I know nobody every got into trouble but why risk it.

• Like 1

I'm up for some used toilet paper if it's cheaper than the Dollar General stuff.

I got a few houses to roll, and the browns will add character! :rolling:

I just got a notification that a Best Buy near you should have the Nintendo Mini soon,potentially tomorrow yet....

I was supposed to get my Sons Playstation 4 VR reality headset by then as well from them by the 20th, in time for Christmas, delayed till the 27th at best!

Sorry son, Merry Christmas, love Mom and Dad!!! :(

Already beat you to it, man!

I got this in my email today, curtesy of Best Buy:

attachicon.gifclassic NES.png

Yes I am wasting my time. But I stopped by bestbuy tonight after the jackie move just now about kenedy. And he said no tickets tonight like on launch day. They will hand them out tomorrow at 7am. I already got up at 7am for gamestop last week. There were 2 guys already there 1 hour before gamestop was supposed to open. So they probably got there hours before or camped out over night. Tomorrow if tickets are being handed out 7am then I have to get up 4 or 5 am just to be safe. Maybe even earlier. And right now is 14 degrees. So tomorrow morning probably even colder or the same at least. So no thanks. It might never be clearance but you were the guys saying it will be no longer desired come December 26th just wait. So I will wait. And last night on ebay there was a used one for 100 starting bid. Not 200 like normal. So after people get board with it it won't be clearance. But it won't be 200+. People will be selling their used minis for 100 or less when the fun is over.

It's called a coat. Wear one... :ponder:

I'm up for some used toilet paper if it's cheaper than the Dollar General stuff.

I got a few houses to roll, and the browns will add character! :rolling:

You can always use McDonald's bags for color coordination. "It" even takes on a yellow appearance sometimes. And you get real roughage you can feel!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

No its not driving me crazy. What's driving me crazy is the supply and demand. Why don't they just offer it on nintendo.com for sale. And as they keep making them send it out to each person on the list first come first serve.

Also why so many people want one even with sound and video issues. Effects, lag. I met a guy at gamestop last week he said his son really wanted one. But he wasn't even born then. This is only for nostalgia sake. Why would anybody want one if they weren't even alive then.

Also why so many people want one even with sound and video issues. Effects, lag. I met a guy at gamestop last week he said his son really wanted one. But he wasn't even born then. This is only for nostalgia sake. Why would anybody want one if they weren't even alive then.

haha

effects? what effects, you think billy who hasnt played a NES in 34 years cares that it doesnt look like it did on his mom's kennmore portable B/W TV?

LAG? really only the most anal of players can detect lag and most of the time its a lame excuse ... "I cant jump that goomba cause of 1ms of video lag even though my controllers only get scanned serially 1 bit at a time every 15 MS, its lag not cause im old!!!!

why would anyone want one when they were not even alive then? cause its culture and history and its cheap, its like record players but with diptards for sales forecasters

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

No its not driving me crazy. What's driving me crazy is the supply and demand. Why don't they just offer it on nintendo.com for sale. And as they keep making them send it out to each person on the list first come first serve.

Why don't they offer on nintendo.com? That would make it too easy. Have to keep up the artificial scarcity thing going. Understand that Nintendo (like Nikon) is full of a bunch of old nincompoops and boardroom brainstorming sessions are often disconnected from the real world, big bonuses awarded for established thinking and all that corporate gobbledygook. It all gets taken too far because the old brain doesn't take edgy risks. Nikon, like Nintendo have got to be the most "in the dark" companies I've ever studied.

Also why so many people want one even with sound and video issues. Effects, lag.

It's usually not too bad, and it's usually the vocal minority bitching about the mini's inadequacies. If you want quality emulation you'll want to get a dedicated x86 platform going. But this mini will get the job done for 90% of the gaming newcomers.

I met a guy at gamestop last week he said his son really wanted one. But he wasn't even born then. This is only for nostalgia sake.

No it is not. Absolutely not!

Why would anybody want one if they weren't even alive then.

Because emulation is T*H*E BEST way, T*H*E PREMIER way, to introduce newcomers to the hobby. As evidenced by the amount of hype and demand. You plug it in it works. No fucking around with ratbaggy crap from fleabay or craigslist.

Emulation allows convenient and attractive price points and packaging. 100-to-1 would prefer this mini over having to spend hours and days scrounging up those 60 cartridges and a console and controllers. Outside of the micro-minority die-hard old-skool collectors, no one wants that kind of hassle. No one has time for it today! Not with all the distractions caused by other modern media and smartphones.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

Also why so many people want one even with sound and video issues. Effects, lag.

This "Effects and Lag" is getting to be like bandwagon bullshit and is being preached try to justify using and keeping rickety old hardware around. Any gamer worth his points on the hi-score table will be able to compensate and anticipate small amounts of lag with no problems whatsoever.

Like for example I can clearly tell the difference between double-buffering and triple-buffering on say like Typhoon 2001. But after playing either mode for a few minutes it doesn't make a whole lotta difference. I enter a non-linear time domain and still become one with the game despite it being a frame behind. Again, no biggie.

Granted some emulators lag bad and have overdone chintzy effects or the wrong filtering. But by and large, the customizable emulators let you tune them to your liking. I used to always go overboard on chasing scanlines and the NTSC RF fuzzies. And I'd adjust my emulators accordingly. Then I realized I didn't want to feel like I was an overgrown fagboy playing on my gramma's Zenith Chromacolor II anymore So I toned them all down and sharpened up my act. Woot!!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 3

The "kids react" series is more staged than you think. The kids react kids are already used to modern tech. And like anything different it will take them time to figure it out. Today's kids are too pre-conditioned with instant satisfaction and over-the-top visuals.

I know kids that get new MacBooks every year just to get them. And to them it's meh. And I've set kids up with free 5 year old systems and they were ever thankful. Same concept. Same idea. To many kids an iphone 6 it complete trash and unacceptable. But an iphone 7 is just alright. Take it away and they scream.

• Like 1