IGNORED

Overrated and Underrated Atari Games

Mind Master

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, for fun, I just did a video of 10 games I think are fun and largely under-rated for the Atari 2600.

http://youtu.be/T8CU2NtIcBk

Yep - nice list. I think the M-network games get overlooked because of the 2 player requirement, but they did some nice work. I have to say that I've never really given Smurf much time at all. I think of it more as a game for people begging for a sidescroller on a system that didn't have many. I don't have the patience to deal with what I would consider the very imprecise controls in that game. However, I may give it another shot based on this thread.

I don't have the patience to deal with what I would consider the very imprecise controls in that game. However, I may give it another shot based on this thread.

The controls are actually pretty precise. They are just kind of weird. If you are used to it, it's a fun game that gets ridiculously hard in later levels.

@ keith: Great video. May I suggest a slightly louder voiceover compared to the game sounds for the next video?

Yep - nice list. I think the M-network games get overlooked because of the 2 player requirement, but they did some nice work. I have to say that I've never really given Smurf much time at all. I think of it more as a game for people begging for a sidescroller on a system that didn't have many. I don't have the patience to deal with what I would consider the very imprecise controls in that game. However, I may give it another shot based on this thread.

For the longest time I didn't know about the double jump and HATED this game as I got killed on the fence in the first 3 seconds. But it's a decent game and yeah it gets insane after a bit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Overrated:

Chopper Command - Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game and interesting take on the Defender concept, but the difficulty goes up too fast.

Demon Attack - It's challenging and fun, but it gets repetitive after awhile.

Swordquest - A bit too overhyped in my opinion.

Underrated:

Moonsweeper - It's a unique and challenging shooter, and the graphics are well done.

Dolphin - Very unique in that you have to use your ears as well as your eyes to play.

Kung-Fu Master - Despite the limitations of the Atari 2600, it's actually very well done.

Robot Tank - Sure it's a clone of BattleZone, but it's still fun and challenging in it's own way.

• Like 1

Nice video. I feel the same way about some of those. Side question - how did you get the sounds to be in stereo? I always thought the vcs was mono.

My 2600 is modded with modern outputs (S-Video and component audio). There are a few forum members who provide this service (for a fee, of course), but if I understand correctly, the Atari is capable of stereo internally, just mono in its original "all things combined" original output.

• Like 1

Overrated:

Chopper Command - Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game and interesting take on the Defender concept, but the difficulty goes up too fast.

Swordquest - A bit too overhyped in my opinion.

The problem with Chopper Command isn't that it is too hard; it's that it's too easy. All you have to do is stay ahead of the first car about the distance that the cars are apart. Allow the enemies to approach and kill one just as it flies on screen. Then immediately fly back to be one car length ahead of the first car - kill second enemy - fly back - repeat. I have to play on game 3 and diff A now because I figured out this pattern.

Regarding Swordquest, Hype is different than rating. Someone needs to actually like a game for it to be overrated.

• Like 1

Overrated: Much of the early Activision library. They are for the most part well done, play well, look good -- but they aren't anything all that special.

Under: Keystone Kapers -- this seems like one of those Activision titles that does not get a lot of love. I think it looks really good, plays well and has a fairly decent challenge early on.

Secret Quest -- nobody mentioned this one yet. This one is in my top 10 for sure. This one has a lot going for it. It is just really well done and never seems to hit the lists of top 2600 games. Likely because it was the final 2600 release in North America, which was well past the date that really anybody cared about the 2600.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Overrated:

Yars' Revenge. I've tried repeatedly to get into this game and I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

E.T. It seems like everyone's coming out of the woodwork to praise this lately. Make all the excuses you want about how HSW only had 5 weeks to make it and you have to read the manual to understand it. It's still an awkward and deeply flawed game.

Underrated:

Keystone Kapers. Best platformer on the VCS, hands down.

For my own amusement I ran some numbers on people's posts so far. I occasionally had to make some judgment calls (is this person saying a game is "underrated" or just saying they like it?), etc., and as they used to say on Slashdot, you'd be crazy to take these numbers too seriously.

But I thought they were still interesting, and there's apparently a massive consensus on the #1 most overrated game!

Overrated:
1. Pitfall (12 votes)
2. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (6)
2. Yars' Revenge (6)
4. Atlantis (5)
4. Demon Attack (5)
6. River Raid (4)
7. Adventure (3)
7. Cosmic Ark (3)
7. Kaboom (3)
7. Miner 2049er (3)
7. Pac-Man (3)
7. Space Invaders (3)
Underrated:
1. Dodge 'Em (6)
2. E.T. (5)
2. Sky Diver (5)
4. Maze Craze (4)
4. Tunnel Runner (4)
4. Turmoil (4)
4. Video Olympics (4)
8. Astroblast (3)
8. Defender (3)
8. Dragonstomper (3)
8. Midnight Magic (3)
8. Reactor (3)
8. Solar Fox (3)
8. Space Attack (3)
8. Tutankham (3)
Most controversial:
Adventure (3 overrated votes, 2 underrated votes)
Kaboom (3 overrated votes, 2 underrated votes)
  • Like 3

BTW my own list might be:

Overrated: Berzerk, Cosmic Ark, Galaxian, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (I might throw in Adventure too, but I'm not sure I know how to play it well enough to justify that)
Underrated: Artillery Duel, Bugs, Death Trap, Dragonfire, Jungle Hunt, MegaForce, Star Wars: Jedi Arena

For my own amusement I ran some numbers on people's posts so far. I occasionally had to make some judgment calls (is this person saying a game is "underrated" or just saying they like it?), etc., and as they used to say on Slashdot, you'd be crazy to take these numbers too seriously.

But I thought they were still interesting, and there's apparently a massive consensus on the #1 most overrated game!

Overrated:
1. Pitfall (12 votes)
2. Pitfall II: The Lost Caverns (6)
2. Yars' Revenge (6)
4. Atlantis (5)
4. Demon Attack (5)
6. River Raid (4)
7. Adventure (3)
7. Cosmic Ark (3)
7. Kaboom (3)
7. Miner 2049er (3)
7. Pac-Man (3)
7. Space Invaders (3)
Underrated:
1. Dodge 'Em (6)
2. E.T. (5)
2. Sky Diver (5)
4. Maze Craze (4)
4. Tunnel Runner (4)
4. Turmoil (4)
4. Video Olympics (4)
8. Astroblast (3)
8. Defender (3)
8. Dragonstomper (3)
8. Midnight Magic (3)
8. Reactor (3)
8. Solar Fox (3)
8. Space Attack (3)
8. Tutankham (3)
Most controversial:
Adventure (3 overrated votes, 2 underrated votes)
Kaboom (3 overrated votes, 2 underrated votes)

As much as Pac-Man has been panned over the years I don't see how this could possibly be voted as an overrated title.

Reactor is definitely an underrated title despite the fact that it has been simplified both visually and control-wise from the arcade game. It seems that either people love it or hate it and there's no middle ground.

Defender was actually praised by critics when it was released and seems that only in recent years has it been panned - perhaps when compared to Stargate on the VCS.

Sky Diver, Maze Craze, Turmoil, Astroblast and Solar Fox are all great titles. Video Olympics is really fun when you get 4 players.

Tutankham is just terrible - I just don't understand the appreciation for that title.

Overrated: Berzerk, Cosmic Ark, Galaxian, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (I might throw in Adventure too, but I'm not sure I know how to play it well enough to justify that)
Underrated: Artillery Duel, Bugs, Death Trap, Dragonfire, Jungle Hunt, MegaForce, Star Wars: Jedi Arena

I'm with you on ESB. Berzerk was a highly praised title when released and I actually like Galaxian better on the 2600 then the 5200.

Jungle Hunt and MegaForce are two really good titles. I don't have Artillery Duel on the 2600 but I own it on the ColecoVision and it's a really fun game.

• Like 1

Overrated: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Selecting some of the game variations really helped me enjoy this one more. I think I like game #13 the best. The smart bombs really make it seem more complete. IMO they should be on in game 1.

I also like playing this one in black and white. The end game explosion in the background is still in color and I believe the "use the force" invincibility also still flashes in color. But with everything else in B&W it kinda feels more like Hoth.

Plays great with arcade controls.

• Like 1

I'm with you on ESB. Berzerk was a highly praised title when released and I actually like Galaxian better on the 2600 then the 5200.

I should add that I think both Berzerk and Galaxian are fine ports -- it's just that I'm just not a fan of the underlying games. Galaxian in particular was always spoiled for me since I played Galaga first (which is one of my all-time favorite arcade games). And if I want to go earlier, I prefer Space Invaders.

I also like playing this one in black and white. The end game explosion in the background is still in color and I believe the "use the force" invincibility also still flashes in color. But with everything else in B&W it kinda feels more like Hoth.

Hey, that's a cool bit of info about the color graphics in B&W. I'll have to try that.

• Like 1

Boing! is a very underrated game, likely due to its rarity.

I think this whole topic is, however, faulty as neither term (overrated/underrated) was really defined. There are several overrated games that, from a game design perspective, are quite significant, and I would never place them on such a list.

• Like 1