IGNORED

blocked by seller for low offer

stringfellow

Ok listen this is the absolute bottom line truth of my mindset, I was trying to be polite.

You can be impolite, I don't mind. And one should always be honest, so thanks. :)

ETA: The grammar! The grammar! I need a nap.

Edited by mumbai

To be fair, seller could've blocked him without the pretentious message. If you get so easily butthurt, the internet is not for you. Bit of a low offer? Yeah probably. But if you're selling on eBay you best be prepared for those. Also, if there's a price you won't go below just put the auto-decline on, it ain't that hard.

Me, I am not hurt or offended by this seller. I was just surprised and decided to share this experience. Yes I didn't know the value, it happens sometimes. I do not buy a lot of NES games but I am a big Nightmare on Elm Street fan. I was not willing to spend $199 on this so I made a low offer expecting to haggle back and forth a little. I know I have over spent at times for something I really wanted or bought on impulse and other times the current value was just too much in my opinion to spend. As I had stated to the seller there are not a lot of this title showing up in the box so it is even harder to figure going ebay rate.

I've had sellers counteroffer just 50 cents or $1 less

and i had sellers not respond to offers of $5 or $6 less on a $12 or $13 item

What's the point of having a best offer if your not willing to budge.

That's basically an F.U. and my counter offer is then $1 more than my first offer to return the favor.

I was not willing to spend $199 on this so I made a low offer expecting to haggle back and forth a little.

No, just no. There is no haggling when you offer $40 on a $200 item. You expect maybe they will sell you it for $50 or $60?

Offer $150 and that is when you expect to haggle. Offer $40 and you are just being insulting.

• Like 1

There is some possibly some reasoning to this. Some sellers feel if you make a low offer that is not accepted, you may attempt to buy another item (cheaper) and then leave bad feedback or star ratings since the seller did not accept the low offer. I have had a buyer make 3 offers on the same item, I finally did accept the third offer, but the buyer was offended and left bad feedback for not accepting the two other offers. I no longer accept the third offer on any item for this reason.

In such situations, you could always check to see what kind of feedback they tend to leave.

Edited by Rockin' Kat

No, just no. There is haggling when you offer $40 on a $200 item. You expect maybe they will sell you for $50 or $60?

Offer $150 and that is when you expect to haggle. Offer $40 and you are just being insulting.

I offered $5 on an item that was listed in the thousands and wound up getting it for $35 after counter offers back and forward.

Really though, if this bothers people selling stuff, they should try taking up a brick and mortar retail job and see just what real insults at work are like.

Edited by Rockin' Kat
  • Like 1

Ok listen this is the absolute bottom line truth of my mindset, I was trying to be polite.

If someone offers me $40 for an item that is selling for over $200, what goes through my mind is this person is a complete idiot and I do not want to deal with them any further. I also feel buyers shouldn't make completely absurd rude offers as well. That to me can imply the buyer is purposely being an asshole for some unknown reason and I am better off to just not deal with them at all, whether now or the future.

I agree sellers should put in place measures to automatically decline offers less than you are willing to take. I have occasionally sold items with make offer and I always automatically decline less than I am willing to accept.

On the opposite end I feel exactly the same about people that list the rediculous BIN / Make offer listings. They are in your term either an idiot that doesn't know the value of their item or just an asshole that I don't want to deal with. It' goes both ways.

It's never a good sign when they address you as "sir".

I'm somewhere in the middle here. I think the seller's response was an over-reaction but I also know what it's like when you put a lot of effort into selling something and someone comes along with an insolent offer. It doesn't just happen with rare stuff, it also happens with the ultra common stuff that doesn't sell.

I was selling such an item for £12 shipped and received an offer to buy the item for £10 shipped if the auction ended with no bids. My response was that the item would be relisted with a BIN of £20 and that he would be more than welcome to purchase the item at that price.

One thing to remember is that if a seller is listing a supposedly rare item with an expensive BIN, it's usually because he doesn't fancy his chances in a straight auction. If an item has true value, you can list it at 99p and bidders will come to it like flies to a piece of dog shit.

• Like 1

On the opposite end I feel exactly the same about people that list the rediculous BIN / Make offer listings. They are in your term either an idiot that doesn't know the value of their item or just an asshole that I don't want to deal with. It' goes both ways.

I agree 100%. If someone list an item for $500 and it is only worth $50 they are either an idiot or being an asshole trying to rip someone off.

There is a BIG difference when you offer someone $40 on a $200 item that normally sells for $200+ as compared to you offering $40 on a $200 item that normally sells for $50.

If someone is being a douche and price gauging then by all means lowball them. If someone is listing at a decent price, then be fair with them.

One thing to remember is that if a seller is listing a supposedly rare item with an expensive BIN, it's usually because he doesn't fancy his chances in a straight auction. If an item has true value, you can list it at 99p and bidders will come to it like flies to a piece of dog shit.

Sir, I like the cut of your jib. I should like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seller quickly declined with stating "I said good day, sir" Never in my many years on ebay have I encountered such a thing.

Ahh yes, the dismissive personality. Don't let it bother you, people like that are not worthy of the time of day. You can pity them, and get a good chuckle from them, but in the end, there will always be people "IN LOVE" with the items they are selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuNvxH5kSKU

• Like 2

Ahh yes, the dismissive personality. Don't let it bother you, people like that are not worthy of the time of day. You can pity them, and get a good chuckle from them, but in the end, there will always be people "IN LOVE" with the items they are selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuNvxH5kSKU

that is exactly what I was thinking when I first read it.

Short version:

• As a buyer, make a reasonable offer. Some light research helps. If you seriously low-ball an item, the seller may choose to just not deal with you.
  • As a seller, use the auto-reject for any price you would never consider. This way, your time isn't wasted on unreasonable offers.
  • As a seller, remember customer service is important, even on eBay. It's one thing to block a buyer but saying "Good Sir" is unnecessary snark that gives you a bad reputation.
  • Like 3

This is particularly puzzling, given that eBay provides sellers with the ability to auto-decline offer amounts below an arbitrary value set by the seller, without sellers so much as even being notified or having to review this automated process.

This is exactly how sellers should operate. If there's a minimum price you want, then set to auto-decline anything below that. If a seller isn't wise enough to do that, then maybe they aren't worth dealing with in the first place.

There is some possibly some reasoning to this. Some sellers feel if you make a low offer that is not accepted, you may attempt to buy another item (cheaper) and then leave bad feedback or star ratings since the seller did not accept the low offer. I have had a buyer make 3 offers on the same item, I finally did accept the third offer, but the buyer was offended and left bad feedback for not accepting the two other offers. I no longer accept the third offer on any item for this reason.

Not to mention the craze associated some people who do just that - lowball offers. It seems nothing but grief results with people who do insanely low offers and messages start pouring in and it's just best to avoid it all to begin with. I've never really been threatened before and I didn't take it serious since it's someone pissed off on eBay not getting their way but people have lost their minds. It's almost like craigslist people are finding their way onto eBay and it's no good sellers involved.

With that said, $200 for Nightmare on Elm Street? I find it unreasonable as hell - sitting on the other side of the fence, I wouldn't have even made an offer.

I use best offer on many high dollar auctions that I have (if I have something of high value for sale) and I use the auto decline for a certain amount because, well, to me it is offensive being offered $50 on an item that is wroth $500. I don't even think people are clueless about it. They want something for a deal to resell. You have many people wanting to purchase stuff on eBay to resell in THEIR stores. Happens all the time. Yet these same people making these offers sometimes will flip out and honestly think that the person with said item for sale is really wanting their initial crazy amount, make posts on Facebook or the internet about it, and not see what the big deal is making "joke" offers to try and be funny in said forum. Heck i have seen these people also freak out about "shipping/handling" eBay charges "it is supposed to be included in your starter price" but don't see the point of why a lowball offer would seem offensive.

The bottom line is the seller should have an auto decline option for something like this and it would not have happened.

I have people come in my arcade that offer me $500 for $5000 pinball machines. We call those people "time wasters." Those aren't people looking for deals and "you can't blame them for trying", it's obvious what they are trying to pull.

I use best offer on many high dollar auctions that I have (if I have something of high value for sale) and I use the auto decline for a certain amount because, well, to me it is offensive being offered $50 on an item that is wroth $500. I don't even think people are clueless about it. They want something for a deal to resell. You have many people wanting to purchase stuff on eBay to resell in THEIR stores. Happens all the time. Yet these same people making these offers sometimes will flip out and honestly think that the person with said item for sale is really wanting their initial crazy amount, make posts on Facebook or the internet about it, and not see what the big deal is making "joke" offers to try and be funny in said forum. Heck i have seen these people also freak out about "shipping/handling" eBay charges "it is supposed to be included in your starter price" but don't see the point of why a lowball offer would seem offensive.

The bottom line is the seller should have an auto decline option for something like this and it would not have happened.

I have people come in my arcade that offer me $500 for $5000 pinball machines. We call those people "time wasters." Those aren't people looking for deals and "you can't blame them for trying", it's obvious what they are trying to pull.

I don't think it's completely black and white like that. Some people may know the value of it, but most do not unless they are really, really into it. To me, no pinball machine would be worth $5k, but I would spend $500. This is not to say that machine doesn't sell for $5k- I don't know, and I'm not insulting you. In the past, I've been to arcades where there was crazy prices on the stuff- I think there may be some way around paying taxes on them if they are "for sale" but (wink, wink) not really...

Maybe when someone does that, you could turn it around on them a bit and say- "Well, I couldn't sell this one for that amount because it's a very valuable machine, but if $500 is what you have to spend, could I help you find something in your price range". You can't assume they are just trying to "rip you off". :)

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 1

Me, I am not hurt or offended by this seller. I was just surprised and decided to share this experience. Yes I didn't know the value, it happens sometimes. I do not buy a lot of NES games but I am a big Nightmare on Elm Street fan. I was not willing to spend $199 on this so I made a low offer expecting to haggle back and forth a little. I know I have over spent at times for something I really wanted or bought on impulse and other times the current value was just too much in my opinion to spend. As I had stated to the seller there are not a lot of this title showing up in the box so it is even harder to figure going ebay rate.

I should clarify, I meant eBay sellers getting butthurt, not you as the buyer.

By the way, Nightmare on Elm Street ain't worth $200. Not even close. $40 might have been a little low to offer, but that seller is out to lunch with that price. The magical inclusion of a box does not equal $170 more value than buying a loose copy. No way in hell.

I don't think it's completely black and white like that. Some people may know the value of it, but most do not unless they are really, really into it. To me, no pinball machine would be worth $5k, but I would spend $500. This is not to say that machine doesn't sell for $5k- I don't know, and I'm not insulting you. In the past, I've been to arcades where there was crazy prices on the stuff- I think there may be some way around paying taxes on them if they are "for sale" but (wink, wink) not really...

Maybe when someone does that, you could turn it around on them a bit and say- "Well, I couldn't sell this one for that amount because it's a very valuable machine, but if $500 is what you have to spend, could I help you find something in your price range". You can't assume they are just trying to "rip you off". :)

If you go into a new car lot or collector place, you have to be prepared to have some type of "idea" without making yourself look silly. Hence the $500 people wanting pinballs all the time. You can't go into Toyota and expect to buy a car for $3000. You have to do your due diligence on that. Completely on the buyer. Having them play "I didn't know" is not even an excuse.

I always tell people that the prices of pinballs is wild. The price range helps and I do ask that often, but if your budget is $500-1500 expect a project at the very least or an old machine that may need to be fixed more often just because of the age of the item.

I should clarify, I meant eBay sellers getting butthurt, not you as the buyer.

By the way, Nightmare on Elm Street ain't worth $200. Not even close. $40 might have been a little low to offer, but that seller is out to lunch with that price. The magical inclusion of a box does not equal $170 more value than buying a loose copy. No way in hell.

I didn't feel that you were saying it was me. Just making sure everyone realized. Also I picked up a boxed copy on Amazon last night for $45. We'll see how good of a condition it is in when it gets here.

Edited by stringfellow