IGNORED

blocked by seller for low offer

stringfellow

It's one thing to block a buyer but saying "Good Sir" is unnecessary snark that gives you a bad reputation.

True but certainly I'm not the only one who found it incredibly humorous that the OP was able to sneak in one more offer before the ban took place and got an "I said, Good Day Sir" response. Classic lol

• Like 1

These are the reasons I use the threshold. Just stops the stupid lowballs. If I see someone has come close to the threshold, I might ping them a message to say what it is, in case they don't mind upping their next offer a bit. Has worked too.

This thread gave me a headache. The idea that a buyer would be offended when a seller rejected their lowball offer and then buy a cheaper item just to leave negative feedback

!!!!HEAD ASPLODE!!!!

Who the fhck has time for that! I can totally understand wanting to stay far away from and never deal with people like that.

I also think that a seller being offended by a lowball offer just doesn't really occur me as a likely response. The ability to auto-reject has been mentioned, but the response in that situation is totally up to the seller. Come back with a reasonable offer 4-7% less (or something). Maybe just reject the offer without countering. Why do there have to be any hurt feelings in this exchange?

The guy selling pinball machines in his arcade is different. That is your job/business (ebay is a job too - I know). You don't want people de-valuing what you do for a living, but the comparison to selling cars doesn't exactly work. People think about cars almost every day. They aren't thinking about pinball until they have some fun and wonder what it would cost. The fact that most machines sell for the price of 3 game consoles and a high end laptop combined (more?) usually surprises those that don't know. It also takes them completely out of pinball collecting which is too bad (and a completely different topic). There is a place in my local area with really really high prices on all their machines. They are nicely restored, but this shop is totally waiting for the opposite type of customer. The one who knows nothing and wanders in to buy a $300 arcade machine for $1700 without knowing the real value.

My thoughts here are basically that

1) I had no idea that people would do something other than seriously negotiate with "Best Offer"

2) In spite of that, don't assume the worst and get your feelings hurt - just stick to business

• Like 1

Seriously! You offered CART ONLY price for complete. That is worth the $199 asking price all day. Summer is the worst time to sell and you have a hard time getting people to fork out money.

I generally never put make offer, but I can totally see why he blocked you. You are basically saying. I know NOTHING about vintage games and if I were to buy this odds are I will complain because I can't get the cart to play.

By completely offering such an absurdly lowball offer you are showing seller you are not an "informed" collector or buyer and you are a high risk buyer for problems and chargebacks.

Honestly just for the pure offending part I might block you as well. My thoughts are your not going to buy anything from me anyhow since you don't want to pay even remotely close to what items are worth. I would just rather you lowball other sellers rather than waste my time.

That's probably his mindset as well.

This is a terribly ungenerous and "un-community" mindset. Why not take the opportunity to educate someone and welcome them into the community rather than lose a potential customer and maybe even shrink our already small community even further? When I first started collecting, I made the same "faux pas", so to speak, and was politely schooled by more savvy sellers who, fifteen years later, continue to enjoy my patronage. In all things, err on the side of mercy.

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 2

Hmmmm. Has ebay account, knows how to buy, knows how to make offer, knows when he is blocked...... does not know how to check that box that says sold....... it has nothing to do with educating.

Doesn't understand:

1) why the item is at such an excessive price

2) why the item wasn't put up for auction if it was so valuable

3) why the seller made himself open to lower offers if he had no intention of accepting them

• Like 1

Sellers who block low-ballers are forgetting one thing.

Coffee is for closers.

NSFW:

The reality is that not all sellers know the value of what they're selling. And some are ready to sell to move the inventory.

Many times I've seen an item that's at a BIN of twice the price it should be with "Or best offer." I offer half the price it's actually worth...and the seller takes it. It's happened to me many times.

Other times the seller will come back with a more reasonable counter. And we'll work a deal.

But when the seller lets their emotions get in the way of the sale, then they get to keep their overpriced item and I move on.

• Like 1

Hmmmm. Has ebay account, knows how to buy, knows how to make offer, knows when he is blocked...... does not know how to check that box that says sold....... it has nothing to do with educating.

It is true. The buyer is demonstrably educated in the technical aspects of using eBay. The education I am talking about, however, is an education in etiquette. This person has offended the seller with an offer that impugns his goods and could even threaten to devalue the auction altogether. But it is highly unlikely that the buyer was aware his actions might accomplish either of those. In my opinion, the seller should take the high road and explain to the buyer the perils of shooting from the hip, so to speak, when making such offers; namely that he may render himself ridiculous, the seller annoyed, and the deal unattainable. If the seller takes the time to recommend instead that the buyer do some research before making an offer, everyone wins. The seller has improved the stock of buyers in the community, retained a potential customer, and may have even inspired the buyer to make a suitable offer. The buyer is better able to participate in the community and may wind up, even in this case, with the object of his interest.

Kindness. Care. Patience. Invitation. =)

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 1

This thread gave me a headache. The idea that a buyer would be offended when a seller rejected their lowball offer and then buy a cheaper item just to leave negative feedback

!!!!HEAD ASPLODE!!!!

Who the fhck has time for that! I can totally understand wanting to stay far away from and never deal with people like that.

I also think that a seller being offended by a lowball offer just doesn't really occur me as a likely response. The ability to auto-reject has been mentioned, but the response in that situation is totally up to the seller. Come back with a reasonable offer 4-7% less (or something). Maybe just reject the offer without countering. Why do there have to be any hurt feelings in this exchange?

The guy selling pinball machines in his arcade is different. That is your job/business (ebay is a job too - I know). You don't want people de-valuing what you do for a living, but the comparison to selling cars doesn't exactly work. People think about cars almost every day. They aren't thinking about pinball until they have some fun and wonder what it would cost. The fact that most machines sell for the price of 3 game consoles and a high end laptop combined (more?) usually surprises those that don't know. It also takes them completely out of pinball collecting which is too bad (and a completely different topic). There is a place in my local area with really really high prices on all their machines. They are nicely restored, but this shop is totally waiting for the opposite type of customer. The one who knows nothing and wanders in to buy a $300 arcade machine for $1700 without knowing the real value.

My thoughts here are basically that

1) I had no idea that people would do something other than seriously negotiate with "Best Offer"

2) In spite of that, don't assume the worst and get your feelings hurt - just stick to business

Again I wasn't offended just surprised. I am not leaving any feedback for this guy just thought I would share my experience with everyone here.

There are a lot of fish in the sea.

The buyer wants a lot of money

It only takes one sucker.

Or one person to be reasonable.

I recently had one buyer try to low-ball me a couple of times. He refused to budge and eventually lost out when someone did pay the asking price. The item was only £5 or £6 inc. postage but this guy wanted to pay no more than £2.50. It was a NOS chip and it was also significantly cheaper than the same item from any other seller in the UK. I was very tempted to block him as he was taking the piss.

The problem is when people use this 'it takes one sucker' approach to pricing their items. There are a few sellers in the UK who sell their retro gear using this adage. The problem is that they are correct and it's this which is driving the cost of the hobby up. There's one guy who doesn't sell a lot of items but I don't think any of the systems he sells goes for less than £100, even some of the more common ones, and they do eventually sell.