IGNORED

NX: If this is it, I'm actually happy.

Looking at the past 5 years, I really think this is something Nintendo should have done with the Wii-U and 3DS. The U gamepad and the 3DS share so many of the same features that it doesn't make sense they should have to have been different devices, and when the gamepad eventually became the anchor that kept the U from gaining traction, it would have been nice for it to have been an optional component. Nintendo should have just offered the ability to use the 3DS as a tablet controller for the U, and made better use of the cross-buying capabilities between the platforms.

Had they done that, I doubt the past generation would have gone any worse for Nintendo than it already has. This is a good idea, Nintendo. I just wish you'd have done it years ago.

Doesn't matter how X-1 compares to current devices. How will it compare in a year or two? PS4, XBox One and PC's will have far better hardware in 2017 than they did in 2015. And that PC video card is way out of date even today.

Actually, it does matter since the NX looks like it will be the most powerful handheld device on the market if this video is anything to go by. It's not that far off PS4 performance, which is absolutely mind blowing. The NX is going to be catering for a different market to the other consoles and PC.

The number of shaders in the Elemental demo is pretty impressive. I've been playing around with UE4 and I tried loading the tower defense demo game you can download for it. Took a few minutes for it to set up after loading because of all the shaders that thing had. So for a mobile GPU to be able to even run the Elemental demo is impressive.

Looking at the video, the PC version looks best to my eyes. The lighting and shading is more subtle and atmospheric. The PS4 looks a little washed out. The shaders on the X1 are outputting in lower resolution than the other two but not enough to really affect the scenes. Impressive. Most impressive.

Edited by Tickled_Pink
  • Like 1

Looking at the past 5 years, I really think this is something Nintendo should have done with the Wii-U and 3DS. The U gamepad and the 3DS share so many of the same features that it doesn't make sense they should have to have been different devices, and when the gamepad eventually became the anchor that kept the U from gaining traction, it would have been nice for it to have been an optional component. Nintendo should have just offered the ability to use the 3DS as a tablet controller for the U, and made better use of the cross-buying capabilities between the platforms.

Had they done that, I doubt the past generation would have gone any worse for Nintendo than it already has. This is a good idea, Nintendo. I just wish you'd have done it years ago.

I agree totally.

Looking at the past 5 years, I really think this is something Nintendo should have done with the Wii-U and 3DS....This is a good idea, Nintendo. I just wish you'd have done it years ago.

5 years ago was a long time ago in terms of mobile computing. The 3DS launched at $250 and was considered wildly overpriced at the time. I think we can expect the NX to be similarly priced, but significantly more powerful.

Should they have done this long ago? I think they've been building up to it. They integrated their software teams a few years ago.

The Tegra X1 is also called the Nvidia Maxwell, and while it's powerful, it's not the only thing out there, and the other manufacturers aren't standing still. I'm going to look at this product very closely, and the biggest test is whether or not it can provide significantly better or different entertainment than my existing mobile devices. This graph shows that the X1 is only a bit more powerful than the iPhone 6S Plus, which is almost a year old now.

Snapdragon-820-CPU-GPU-benchmark_2-680x3

• Like 2

5 years ago was a long time ago in terms of mobile computing. The 3DS launched at $250 and was considered wildly overpriced at the time.

True enough, but when the consumer sees two touch-screen controllers with similar physical buttons released for very similar applications by the same company, it's natural to wonder if the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. And, perhaps, it didn't. Then Nintendo realized, after the fact, that 3D gaming wasn't a big draw and that touch-screen gaming was keeping the price of their console needlessly high, and you ask "Was this really the best strategy?"

But then, I'm coming at this from the perspective that Nintendo has been playing with the idea of console/handheld synergy since the days of the GBA/Cube. They've had the time to get this right, and it seems like they're only committing to it now because the market has forced their hand. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

• Like 2

True enough, but when the consumer sees two touch-screen controllers with similar physical buttons released for very similar applications by the same company, it's natural to wonder if the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. And, perhaps, it didn't.

Three and a half years ago, January 16, 2013:

In a bid to hasten game development on both its 3DS and Wii U video game systems, Nintendo plans to merge its handheld and console divisions next month, Nintendo has confirmed to Gamasutra.

On February 16, the Japanese publishing giant will bring the separate divisions together, opening a new unified sector that will include 130 console engineers and 150 handhand engineers.

I suspect these things take a crap-ton of time and planning. A big battleship like Nintendo doesn't maneuver like a jet ski. They need to build up a platform that will sustain them for 4 years or more, ideally longer.

I suspect these things take a crap-ton of time and planning. A big battleship like Nintendo doesn't maneuver like a jet ski. They need to build up a platform that will sustain them for 4 years or more, ideally longer.

I work for a Japanese company and if Nintendo operates in a similar way at all I'm not surprised at the time it's taken to unify. If ANYTHING happens in less than a year and 300 meetings (mostly about meetings) I'm like 'dayum!'. I'm only sort of exaggerating. I wouldn't be surprised if both sides of the house had vastly different experiences and specific expertise before this unification began. It's tempting to think that because my Gamepad and 3DS are shaped mostly the same and enable me to kill Mario in new and exciting ways that they are basically the same. But really, there are vastly different use cases when separate and a lot of things to be accounted for. As a minimal example I'd be upset if my 3DS had the same footprint and needed to be charged as much as the Gamepad. I'm pretty sure the 3DS is also significantly more rugged.

Nvidia has cancelled the new Shield tablet they were planning. I choose to believe it's because the Nintendo NX would eat its lunch. http://liliputing.com/2016/08/nvidia-shield-tablet-might-not-getting-update.html

A partnership with Nintendo would definitely be cool. I can' see how they would make the NX backwards compatible with Shield One games though, seeing as it relies on Android and NX OS will definitely be proprietary.

A partnership with Nintendo would definitely be cool. I can' see how they would make the NX backwards compatible with Shield One games though, seeing as it relies on Android and NX OS will definitely be proprietary.

That would be neat to have an instant library of proven good games at launch (the Valve ports, the GTA games, many more) but I would put the odds of that happening at less than 1%. It doesn't seem like a very Nintendo thing to do. It's a new day though, and it's always nice to be surprised!

• Like 4

Is it possible to combine the X1 chip in the handheld with a chip in the docking station to increase its graphics when playing at home on a tv? Maybe that's a solution?

It is possible, but that would require all game developers to program their games for that possibiliy. Multi GPU processing doesn't happen automatically. Game optimization is made for a specific hardware. I don#t think it's worth the trouble and money it would cost.

Still. It is absolutely possible, and Nvidia knows how to do it.

• Like 1

I almost hope that doesn't happen since I'd be tempted to rebuy things like GTA and Half-Life 2 just out of the novelty of it being on a Nintendo system. :)

I hope Nintendo aggressively courts independents. I don't expect much in the way of support from mainstream publishers that are busy trying to discover the next AAA hit (And for those that do jump on board, their idea of support will be titles like Just Dance). But seeing the rapidly growing indie scene thrive on the NX would be great to see.

For one thing, too many nice mobile releases like Vectrex Regeneration never reach dedicated gaming hardware, so there's a niche there that Nintendo could fill that Microsoft and Sony isn't capturing today. And the quality and ambition evident in titles like Axiom Verge are growing rapidly. Gone are the days where indie releases were a fancy way to label amateurish shovelware.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Is it possible to combine the X1 chip in the handheld with a chip in the docking station to increase its graphics when playing at home on a tv? Maybe that's a solution?

I would guess to save power it would be the other way around by the tablet being in a lower resolution and settings turned slightly down. Then when you dock it it may include a fan and since it wouldn't be using battery power or the tablet screen the X1 could work at full power giving an image at 1080p60.

Anyway, since Nintendo games have more cartoon like graphics it would already do wonders for them. Especially since there wouldn't be two versions of a game like a console and handheld version of Mario Kart for an example. They could just work on one and therefore put more work into it. They could also get at least one of every franchise and quicker while also giving more time to slightly less popular franchises to cover all their first party bases. Also, assuming the NX does well, they may even create remakes of Wii U games since the Wii U didn't do well and therefore most NX owners would have missed out on them. Then with a good first party line up it may bring the third parties.

• Like 2

I would guess to save power it would be the other way around by the tablet being in a lower resolution and settings turned slightly down. Then when you dock it it may include a fan and since it wouldn't be using battery power or the tablet screen the X1 could work at full power giving an image at 1080p60.

Anyway, since Nintendo games have more cartoon like graphics it would already do wonders for them. Especially since there wouldn't be two versions of a game like a console and handheld version of Mario Kart for an example. They could just work on one and therefore put more work into it. They could also get at least one of every franchise and quicker while also giving more time to slightly less popular franchises to cover all their first party bases. Also, assuming the NX does well, they may even create remakes of Wii U games since the Wii U didn't do well and therefore most NX owners would have missed out on them. Then with a good first party line up it may bring the third parties.

Which is why I liked this idea. Nintendo systems need Nintendo games to survive. And for whatever reason, unlike the GameCube and gba days, Nintendo doesn't seem to have the man power to pump out a heavy stream of games to the wii u while working in games for the 3ds.

Having a system, whatever its power level is, that can make it so one game worked as the console AND portable version would allow Nintendo to literally make double the software for their NX system. Which would really help them avoid game droughts and slow release schedules that seem to have plagued them the last two generations.

Nintendo is like Sega. If you took away Sega games from the dreamcast, it would essentially be a capcom machine. Take away capcom as well and the dreamcast has no library worth drooling over. Nintendo and Platinum seem to be in the same spot, though to a lesser degree as there aren't nearly as many games being made, with the wii u. Hopefully this will change, now.

Regarding your last point, if they ported games over like Mario kart or splatoon, do you think they'd offer a trade in program or something to not piss off wii u owners? Or would the plethora of used copies floating around for people to buy to get NX versions kinda defeat that possibility?

Edited by MotoRacer

Anyway, since Nintendo games have more cartoon like graphics it would already do wonders for them.

This was also true when a lot of gamers were complaining about the Wii being gamecube 1.5. For Nintendo's signature graphics, the Wii was powerful enough in it's time. For example, I actually prefer the cell-shaded cartoon graphics of Wind Waker over the more realistic approach of Twilight Princess.

The X1 would be more than powerful enough for 1st party games.

What might make more sense for Nintendo's business model would be an android compatibility layer, to make it super easy for 3rd party devs to port their mobile stuff over to NX. If they did this, along with cutting the developer program red-tape and fees, they'd soon have a ton of 3rd party games without compromising their ecosystem.

There is massive headroom for overclocking these mobile processors when active cooling is employed. The vast majority of tablets are passively cooled, having standard optimal settings and a low power setting for battery conservation.

Devices like the Shield and other android boxes use a "turbo mode" with increased clock speed with active cooling. The NX could easily allow for standard, turbo, and battery saving modes. Turbo mode would only be activated when docked. The heat sink for the NX CPU could have rear and side facing vents to aid in passive cooling.

When docked, a cooling fan in the docking station blows or sucks air through the rear vents with out- or inlets on the top and bottom edge of the tablet. This increased airflow supplied with active cooling could allow the CPU to dissipate 2x-4x times the heat energy when docked, greatly increasing performance.

Temp sensors could regulate fan speed for quiet operation, and in the unlikely event the CPU overheats, downclock to battery performance levels with reduced resolution, leading to temporary loss of fidelity or frame rate in the event the vents are blocked or the CPU overheat. Such events however would be rare when docked, assuming proper ventilation of the NX plus docking station.

If the docking station contains a coprocessor or GPU, that would allow even more performance headroom.

• Like 1

Regarding your last point, if they ported games over like Mario kart or splatoon, do you think they'd offer a trade in program or something to not piss off wii u owners? Or would the plethora of used copies floating around for people to buy to get NX versions kinda defeat that possibility?

I doubt they would do that. If I were them I would have an UltraViolet disc to digital like service. You would put your game disc in your Wii U and then a free digital copy of the Wii U version would be playable on your NX. Then if you want it to be upgraded to the NX version you would pay a small fee. But if you pay a slightly higher fee it would both be upgraded to the NX version while also sending you in the mail the cart version while still being cheaper than buying the cart at retail. Or something like that. I would definitely hook up the loyal fans if I were in their shoes.

Another thing I would do is make a peripheral that is like the Game Cube's Game Boy Player for the NX. It would plug into the cart slot and have an extra 3DS screen that can fold to closed on the NX screen. It would have cartridge slots for all the Game Boys/Advance, DS/3DS, and the NX so you don't have to remove it. That way you could play all past handheld games on the NX both in handheld and console mode. It would be an expensive peripheral but it would be convenient having one handheld to play them all. I mean, some people upgrade from a 3DS to a 3DS XL just for the convenience of another screen.

I would probably find a fun way to use the UltraViolet like service with that also. Something like having NX multicarts for first party titles of past handhelds that are your goal to win and you win them once you plug in every single cart for each game on that multicart. So, instead of going out in the world to look for Pokemon, you go out to look for retro Nintendo handheld carts to try to win NX multicarts that include those games as compilations. There could be some cheating by not using only your own carts. For an example, groups of Nintendo fans may get together, bring all their carts with them, and then take turns loading up the entire collection formed between them. Or maybe GameStops would have their own full collections that they bought for the purpose of getting NX users in the store to load up all of the games. But I wouldn't have an issue with those things because part of the goal would be to bring NX players together to hopefully make friends for things like sharing in multiplayer games for an example and getting them in GameStops would get them in stores that sell NX games.

Which is why I liked this idea. Nintendo systems need Nintendo games to survive. And for whatever reason, unlike the GameCube and gba days, Nintendo doesn't seem to have the man power to pump out a heavy stream of games to the wii u while working in games for the 3ds.

They didn't even back then. You just didn't notice it thanks to healthy 3rd party support.

Just look at the GBA where the sole original Zelda was outsourced to Capcom, the SuperNes ports for its selection of Mario platformers rather than original games, etc. There was actually very little there for original in-house Nintendo releases. Especially if we're talking about flagship releases rather than smaller scale efforts that were often experimental in nature like WarioWare.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

Since there's nothing much that's newsworthy to discuss, anyone have a HD remaster that they're hoping to see on the NX?

While I can think of several excellent choices from the GameCube and Wii years that haven't been given that treatment as of yet but certainly deserve it, one that perhaps sticks out for me the most is Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Not only would this one be advantageous from a graphical standpoint since it has the potential to look great, but it's the one 3DS game that constantly had me longing for a tv/out option as I played through it.

Hopefully we get a few more HD remasters this generation. And not just Wii U conversions of its flagships like Super Mario Maker. They deserve the chance to reach a wider audience and I think it's a fair bet that we'll see several. But for the Nintendo faithful that actually own a Wii U, 1:1 conversions of such games that already run in HD will be of little interest.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would love an HD remaster of Super Mario Sunshine. I loved that game.

This 1,000,000x! And Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. Nintendo obviously doesn't know how create a good Paper Mario these days, so why reinvent the wheel when they can simply port over the best Paper Mario ever made... :grin:

• Like 1

Id welcome an hdd remake of the f-zero series in general. It might be a good idea to do so if rumors are true, and they want to reintroduce the franchise to a younger gaming public that only recognizes Falcon as "that guy from Smash Bros". Supposedly, one of nintendo's studios is making a new f-zero for the NX. But who knows. I just hope it's true.