IGNORED

XEGS to TV with only HDMI / YPbPr inputs

dwmcqueen

My wife has banish my XEGS to my bedroom LED TV which only has HDMI and YPbPr inputs (no internal converter). After a failed attempt at using this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EHL1JXE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=05e4ff056d97af9f74570ca233e5c65a, I am curious if I have any other options to get output into either of those formats?

The XEGS (composite) video output should work just fine plugged into the YPbPr (aka Component) green input of the television.

Component video input for Composite output:

Green --> Yellow
Blue --> None
Red --> None
Respecting the audio output of the XEGS, you can connect to either the white (Left) or red (Right) audio input of the TV, or have it sent to both sides utilizing something like this adapter to the television first.

Wives just don't understand--coolness. They want everything neat and clean, like Apple Computers. Sometimes I think Apples are chick computers (no unsightly wires or other things). Anyway, there has to be a mod out there. Too bad, cause I like my XEGS on a plain old CRT. I still keep a few for that purpose. It also sucks that a lot of newer TVs are skipping the composite inputs. Butts! Glad to know those up converter things don't work, eventually I too will have to find a solution to the problem.

It 'works" when connected to Green - BUT it is black and white only (no color).

The XEGS (composite) video output should work just fine plugged into the YPbPr (aka Component) green input of the television.

Component video input for Composite output:

Green --> Yellow
Blue --> None
Red --> None
Respecting the audio output of the XEGS, you can connect to either the white (Left) or red (Right) audio input of the TV, or have it sent to both sides utilizing something like this adapter to the television first.

I use one of these on my XEGS (eBay LINK) fed via S-Video from one of Bryan's UAV boards. The resulting HDMI video quality is fantastic when using S-Video as the source, and better than anything else close to this price range (and believe me, I've tried a bunch of different up-converters). You can also feed this with composite video, but it won't be anywhere near as nice.

s-l500.jpg

Goes for about $40. The link I provided will get you the right model, but be careful if you buy it somewhere else, since they make one that's VGA input instead, and I believe another that is only composite. This one has both composite and S-Video inputs.

- Michael

What about the antenna input? Though it'd need an analog tuner, and RF output isn't the best option.

Alternate option is a converter. To HDMI, preferably from S-Video.

I thought antenna - but was worried about the quality (and I do have OTA antenna on this already)....

Good idea - now just have to wait for UAV boards to be produced again :)

I use one of these on my XEGS (eBay LINK) fed via S-Video from one of Bryan's UAV boards. The resulting HDMI video quality is fantastic when using S-Video as the source, and better than anything else close to this price range (and believe me, I've tried a bunch of different up-converters). You can also feed this with composite video, but it won't be anywhere near as nice.

s-l500.jpg

Goes for about $40. The link I provided will get you the right model, but be careful if you buy it somewhere else, since they make one that's VGA input instead, and I believe another that is only composite. This one has both composite and S-Video inputs.

- Michael

It 'works" when connected to Green - BUT it is black and white only (no color).

Unfortunately then, your component television input may not be able to handle a composite signal fed to it (I've had good luck with Panasonic, LG, Vizio, and Sumsung Flat panel TVs handling it just fine). If you have another set of component inputs try them.

If not, you're back to needing a converter box; myteksolution seems to have provided a good solution in that scenario.

Yep, if only the UAV was easily orderable, but I think that is the way.

Unfortunately then, your component television input may not be able to handle a composite signal fed to it (I've had good luck with Panasonic, LG, Vizio, and Sumsung Flat panel TVs handling it just fine). If you have another set of component inputs try them.

If not, you're back to needing a converter box; myteksolution seems to have provided a good solution in that scenario.