IGNORED

The Compact Computer 40 (CC40)

I just ordered a Hex-ti-r from arcadeshop and already had a lot of fun just using my CC40 writing simple basic games. I have a question tho, since the RS232 module is so rare, would it be possible to make a RS232 Cartridge with a RS232 plug sticking out from it for the CC40? 

I'd love to make a dock setup for it with a Terminal connected to the CC40 in order to code on it home and be able to "undock it" and use it as it is on-the go. 

Also thanks for making the Hex-ti-r! Can't wait to be able to store my programs. 

HEX-TI-r already supports the RS232 and the printer device.  RS232 is supposed on the regular device number, and shows on the RS232 port pins on the Arduino.

You'll have to look at the github source for the pins for the printer (which is also implemented as RS232), as they are just normal IO pins.

Jim

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Hmm, paging[mention=25598]ArcadeShopper[/mention]

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/CC40-multicart/p/148730136/category=27454942

I have the PCBs, but he's been making the carts.

Jim

Yup I'm making them. I just put a couple in stock

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2022 at 9:37 AM, mutantcamel1979 said:

How about a simple guessing game?!    

Number.txt 6.51 kB · 7 downloads

And a simple dice game!

HI-DI.txt 8.61 kB · 8 downloads

Greetings. Thanks for sharing these games for the TI-74. I have downloaded almost all of them. However, although some are quite small (just like Numbers here), I am not able to run on  my TI-74 because I get the MEMORY FULL and/or BAD PROGRAM TYPE errors. Of course I have changed the .txt extension to null or .c74, but this does not fix the issue. It seems the TI-74 detects your programs were created using a TI-74 with the Memory Extension cartridge. I don't have it... Could that be the issue? If so, could you publish here your programs as ASCII text files? I may copy then and have them running on my device... Any other suggestions? Thanks !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 7:29 AM, Appeelicious said:

Of the clever minds that developed the Hex-ti-r, has anyone considered adding logic to give us beeps and boops like the speech synthesizer game our 99s voices?

If sound generation is all that is needed, that's not too hard to add.  I assume one would use MML or similar to play notes. 

But, if speech is desired, that might be tougher.  AVR has a free TTS engine, but if sounding like the 99/4a is required, that'd be hard to pull off.

Jim

2 hours ago, brain said:

If sound generation is all that is needed, that's not too hard to add.  I assume one would use MML or similar to play notes. 

But, if speech is desired, that might be tougher.  AVR has a free TTS engine, but if sounding like the 99/4a is required, that'd be hard to pull off.

Jim

I would settle for a handsome bodied cartridge with extra logic and some extra ram

Edited by Appeelicious

SID chiptunes are very hard to implement, as they require the ability to stuff data into the SID on sometimes a cycle exact manner.  otehr chiptunes can be equally challenging, as the rely on the ability to bascially do a register dump every so many uS.  The HexBus protocol is far too slow for that type of operation.

SIDs are also hard to come by, though there are the various "near SID" options.

Jim

3 minutes ago, brain said:

SID chiptunes are very hard to implement, as they require the ability to stuff data into the SID on sometimes a cycle exact manner.  otehr chiptunes can be equally challenging, as the rely on the ability to bascially do a register dump every so many uS.  The HexBus protocol is far too slow for that type of operation.

SIDs are also hard to come by, though there are the various "near SID" options.

Jim

Yeah, that's why I ended up editing out for what I would settle for: a cartridge that adds audio, adds commands into basic for it, a 3.5 mm port with a sliding scale volume control like on my Walkman and a pass through port to still allow for another cartridge

• 2 months later...

I had some degree of success LISTing and PRINTing to the RS-232 device via the onboard USB RS-232 controller (and hence Type-B connector).  Keeping in mind RS-232 configuration parameters ("B=1200,D=7,P=E,S=1" and so on) and device number (20) in this context are the same as for the original hexbus RS-232, and so that can be treated as a reference on the basics (but so can the source code on github).  Didn't get as far as looking in greater detail at the source and seeking fuller explanation of observed behaviour, as I didn't *really* have any useful purpose for it, at the time. 

RS232manual.pdf

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lmgvice said:

Hello everyone,
I connected a ttl to rs232 converter to pins RX and TX on the arduino but can't get the rs232 working. I disabled debug mode. Anyone tried rs232?

I tried it as I was testing it.

But, you should make sure Device #20 is enabled in the build you put on the Arduino.  Some builds have it disabled to save space or to enable other peripherals.

Jim

• Like 1

Yes I do have device 20 enabled. I'm using B=9600,D=8,P=N. All I get is garbage on the printer. The printer is a Seiko Thermal Printer DPu-201G and it's configured for 9600,8,N.

I've verified printer configuration several times and it's correct.

I'm executing the following command to open the port:

OPEN #1,"20.B=9600,D=8,P=N",OUTPUT

18 minutes ago, lmgvice said:

Yes I do have device 20 enabled. I'm using B=9600,D=8,P=N. All I get is garbage on the printer. The printer is a Seiko Thermal Printer DPu-201G and it's configured for 9600,8,N.

I've verified printer configuration several times and it's correct.

I'm executing the following command to open the port:

OPEN #1,"20.B=9600,D=8,P=N",OUTPUT

It's possible there is a bug in the code.  Can you connect the serial to your computer and get a dump of what is going to the printer?

Jim

I am new to owning a CC-40 and fortunate to have one of the marvelous HEX-TI-r.  I am also interested in using the HEX-TI-r onboard RS232 controller for connecting to a serial printer via the Type B connector.  Will any usb to serial adapter work for this or are there other things to consider in this situation?  I was under the impression that the typical usb to serial adapters required drivers on a modern PC to work?  Any cable recommendations?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ti994ageek1970 said:

I am new to owning a CC-40 and fortunate to have one of the marvelous HEX-TI-r.  I am also interested in using the HEX-TI-r onboard RS232 controller for connecting to a serial printer via the Type B connector.  Will any usb to serial adapter work for this or are there other things to consider in this situation?  I was under the impression that the typical usb to serial adapters required drivers on a modern PC to work?  Any cable recommendations?

I don't think you can connect a serial interface to the Type B connector to get serial.  The Arduino presents as a USB serial device, I believe, to a PC, but it requires the PC to be host to do that.  Any USb->serial cable will also expect a host to be involved, so the Arduino would not support those adapters.

Jim

So a less ambitious project that's still out of my skill level. Adding a multi line screen to the cc-40. My idea is to have someone create a screen with a kb of its own memory. Display prior displayed lines just above the bottom line which will show the currently readable/writable line. I even came up with a cute name: ecc40 pronounced echo. Maybe someone can tell me this is easy and doable and get a fund pool going for development 😛

4 hours ago, Appeelicious said:

So a less ambitious project that's still out of my skill level. Adding a multi line screen to the cc-40. My idea is to have someone create a screen with a kb of its own memory. Display prior displayed lines just above the bottom line which will show the currently readable/writable line. I even came up with a cute name: ecc40 pronounced echo. Maybe someone can tell me this is easy and doable and get a fund pool going for development 😛

The CC-70?  :)

All the code for that actually exists... but belongs with TI still.  But yes, anything's doable.  Either with NOS TMS70C20's where we can program the processor ROM (and hey!  make it a cc-40+ in the process!) or - PLD/FPGA's.  

• Like 2