IGNORED

The SNES/Super Famicom discussion thread!

That being said Rhys, these are my personal favorites. :)

The Secret of Mana

Illusion of Gala (Illusion of Time)

Secret of Evermore

The 7th Saga

Super Mario RPG

Chrono Trigger

Anthony...

Thanks for the recommendations Anthony. I've always wanted to play Super Mario RPG, as I'm quite the fan of the Mario and Luigi series, and want to see that sort of RPG on the SNES.

God bless any soul who has finished the 7th saga. I haven't played it but i've heard horror stories on how BRUTAL the game is.

I did. :) For the podcast. It's a very tough game indeed and I never did beat it back in the day but did so recently with the help of a Let's Play, who did it without the help of any companions so you gain more skills and experience. They actually made the game HARDER for the US release, if you can believe that. ;)

I actually have never played the Lufia games. Always meant to, just never found the time.

I do like harder games, but it seems odd that the game was harder in the US release. Many developers outside of the US assume that many players are stupid, so the games are tweaked to be much easier, or not released at all. Glad I have Super Mario All Stars, so I can play The Lost Levels! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

The thing about cutscenes made me think about a question: What is your favourite SNES game, in terms of story? I'd give my opinion, but I haven't played enough story-heavy SNES games to give a full opinion on them.

Chrono Trigger for me. I was super impressed the first time I played it. I had no idea that the decisions I made earlier in the game was going to effect everything later. Plus the story has to do with what I like in real life ( Time travel and other dimensions)

• Like 2

Chrono Trigger for me. I was super impressed the first time I played it. I had no idea that the decisions I made earlier in the game was going to effect everything later. Plus the story has to do with what I like in real life ( Time travel and other dimensions)

Certainly a classic. It's great when your actions in a game have a tangible effect, even if it is just minor. And time-travel can be really interesting, if done right.

Totally agree. The earlier games in a genre tend to be experimental, and, due to that, they often lack refinement and polish. It normally takes a few attempts before a genre really can stand out, and we can see what makes the games engaging, and to set a benchmark.

One example of this would be with the FPS. Wolfenstein 3D was a good game, but was clearly a first draft. In Doom, however, id took what they learnt from their previous effort, and refined the game with more variety and more colourful visuals. This showed what the FPS could be, and helped sculpt the early years of the FPS.

The same can be said for Pac-land and Super Mario Bros. Nintendo learnt from past efforts, and added their own flair to make a truly great game.

It does seem extremely odd. The game that we think revolutionised the platforming genre was beaten to release by a Pac-man spin-off game. But, gaming history is weird like that, and many games we consider 'firsts' aren't.

It's just an idea, Rhys but I think that an episode of Games Of Reference on this topic would be awesome! You could ask the question, "what is actually an original or revolutionary idea?" You could use examples such as Pac Land being released before Super Mario Bros. Just an idea though. :)

Edited by Byron's Reviews
  • Like 2

It's just an idea, Rhys but I think that an episode of Games Of Reference on this topic would be awesome! You could ask the question, "what is actually an original or revolutionary idea?" You could use examples such as Pac Land being released before Super Mario Land. Just an idea though. :)

It is quite a nice idea: to ask what we consider revolutionary. I can bring in recent examples, talk about these games, and whether it is the first people to make the idea, or the first ones to do it well. Like your thinking!

• Like 1

It is quite a nice idea: to ask what we consider revolutionary. I can bring in recent examples, talk about these games, and whether it is the first people to make the idea, or the first ones to do it well. Like your thinking!

Awesome! And thank you! By the way, I just realised that I put "Super Mario Land" instead of "Super Mario Bros" on my message. I have corrected it now but I just thought I would point it out in case anyone sees my original message in a quote and misunderstands me. :)

Edited by Byron's Reviews
  • Like 1

Awesome! And thank you! By the way, I just realised that I put "Super Mario Land" instead of "Super Mario Bros" on my message. I have corrected it now but I just thought I would point it out in case anyone sees my original message in a quote and misunderstands me. :)

If I ever make that video, I'll post it here! For the meantime, I have another video in the works.

• Like 2

Excellent to know Rhys. We can't wait to see it! :)

Anthony...

Thanks Anthony! I also have the 'Do Console Specs Matter?' video in the works, and I'll post it on the NEO GEO thread when that's done.

Anyway, enough about video ideas, back to the SNES discussion!

I want to ask all of you: What is your favourite music in SNES history? Mine would be a mix of both Starwing and Mega Man. Catchy songs that build atmosphere are always amazing!

• Like 2

Thanks Anthony! I also have the 'Do Console Specs Matter?' video in the works, and I'll post it on the NEO GEO thread when that's done.

I want to ask all of you: What is your favourite music in SNES history? Mine would be a mix of both Starwing and Mega Man. Catchy songs that build atmosphere are always amazing!

Good choices, Rhys! I really love the music on Star Wing too! As for my favourite, I think I've said this already but it has to be the F-Zero soundtrack! With songs such as Big Blue and Mute City, this game always gets me pumped up for some high speed, futuristic races!!! I was playing Super Smash Bros for Wii U today and the remixes of some of the F-Zero songs on there are equally as awesome to the originals in my opinion! :D :D :D

• Like 2

Good choices, Rhys! I really love the music on Star Wing too! As for my favourite, I think I've said this already but it has to be the F-Zero soundtrack! With songs such as Big Blue and Mute City, this game always gets me pumped up for some high speed, futuristic races!!! I was playing Super Smash Bros for Wii U today and the remixes of some of the F-Zero songs on there are equally as awesome to the originals in my opinion! :D :D :D

I agree wholeheartedly Byron.

Star Fox (Star Wing) was such a great soundtrack that I always love listening to it when I can. The F-Zero soundtrack is always a blast listening and I remember buying the soundtrack CD for it. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

Wonderful Rhys! :thumbsup:

We can't wait to see it on the Neo-Geo thread for us to benefit and enjoy. This;s going to be exciting to say the least! :)

In regards to your query on Super NES music, I have a few in mind that I enjoy. But its really whole soundtracks instead of a particular tune.

Final Fantasy III

F-Zero (like Byron mention)

Uniracers (Uni Rally)

Star Fox (Star Wing)

Stunt Race FX

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3Wa3aLQPo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBNSJL0t2kI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_u3Yy-0F88

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 2

I bought the SNES at its launch.. I actually pre-payed for it at Software Etc. I already had a Genesis and a Turbografx-16, so adding the SNES made it an awesome 3-way console combo. I have to say those were probably the best gaming years of my life adult life (vs. my childhood with the 2600/5200 of course).

Funny thing is my launch SNES was busted.. it would glitch and freeze after about 5-10 minutes of play. At the time, it never occurred to me to take it back to the store.. so I reached out to Nintendo by writing them a letter on my Brother word processor I used for college, demanding that they fix it. :lol: I forget the details but they actually did.. they had me box it and mail it out to them and eventually I got a new one. But man those weeks were torture without it. I played F-Zero and SMW to death.. to the point that "Master" class on F-Zero was a breeze to win for me. I can't do that now. :P

I had so many good times with the SNES as the years went by that it's hard to say which game is my favorite because they were all my "favorite" in the time they were played. I'm from Guam, so I was able to go to Japan relatively often and easily, so Super Famicom carts a lot of times were more convenient for me to get over US versions. e.g. The first time I played through Mario Kart and Zelda were the japanese releases. Anyway.. One tragic thing I used to do with my carts, since I had a SNES, and not knowing any better, to get my carts to fit I would just take a screwdriver or tool to them and just totally HACK out slots so they could fit in. :lol: Geeze... youth.

slots.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 2

I agree wholeheartedly Byron.

Star Fox (Star Wing) was such a great soundtrack that I always love listening to it when I can. The F-Zero soundtrack is always a blast listening and I remember buying the soundtrack CD for it. :)

Anthony...

We can't wait to see it on the Neo-Geo thread for us to benefit and enjoy. This;s going to be exciting to say the least! :)

In regards to your query on Super NES music, I have a few in mind that I enjoy. But its really whole soundtracks instead of a particular tune.

Final Fantasy III

Uniracers (Uni Rally)

Star Fox (Star Wing)

Stunt Race FX

Anthony...

That F-Zero CD sounds awesome! I wonder if I would be able to find one online anywhere... Anyway, some great choices of music, Anthony! :)

• Like 1

Final Fantasy III

Uniracers (Uni Rally)

Star Fox (Star Wing)

Stunt Race FX

Anthony...

Fantastic choices for soundtracks, Anthony. I love the Starwing music, especially the Corneria theme. It's one of my favourite pieces of music in gaming history. Fast-paced, and yet somehow atmospheric.

I bought the SNES at its launch.. I actually pre-payed for it at Software Etc. I already had a Genesis and a Turbografx-16, so adding the SNES made it an awesome 3-way console combo. I have to say those were probably the best gaming years of my life adult life (vs. my childhood with the 2600/5200 of course).

Funny thing is my launch SNES was busted.. it would glitch and freeze after about 5-10 minutes of play. At the time, it never occurred to me to take it back to the store.. so I reached out to Nintendo by writing them a letter on my Brother word processor I used for college, demanding that they fix it. :lol: I forget the details but they actually did.. they had me box it and mail it out to them and eventually I got a new one. But man those weeks were torture without it. I played F-Zero and SMW to death.. to the point that "Master" class on F-Zero was a breeze to win for me. I can't do that now. :P

I had so many good times with the SNES as the years went by that it's hard to say which game is my favorite because they were all my "favorite" in the time they were played. I'm from Guam, so I was able to go to Japan relatively often and easily, so Super Famicom carts a lot of times were more convenient for me to get over US versions. e.g. The first time I played through Mario Kart and Zelda were the japanese releases. Anyway.. One tragic thing I used to do with my carts, since I had a SNES, and not knowing any better, to get my carts to fit I would just take a screwdriver or tool to them and just totally HACK out slots so they could fit in. :lol: Geeze... youth.

slots.jpg

That's great that you got it at launch and got it repaired for free. I didn't get my SNES until the early 2000's, so I was a tad late. And I understand the mastery of the game. I used to be able to play Starwing without losing a life. Somehow I've gotten worse over the years, but hey, I don't mind. Go back to the 90's and say to anyone you had both a Genesis and SNES. It'll blow the mind of anyone in the time of the Sega/Nintendo console wars.

• Like 1

Sorry Byron, somehow forgot to reply to you! I agree with F-Zero. Such adrenaline pumping music making you want to race as fast as possible. It's great!

• Like 1

Fantastic choices for soundtracks, Anthony. I love the Starwing music, especially the Corneria theme. It's one of my favourite pieces of music in gaming history. Fast-paced, and yet somehow atmospheric.

That's great that you got it at launch and got it repaired for free. I didn't get my SNES until the early 2000's, so I was a tad late. And I understand the mastery of the game. I used to be able to play Starwing without losing a life. Somehow I've gotten worse over the years, but hey, I don't mind. Go back to the 90's and say to anyone you had both a Genesis and SNES. It'll blow the mind of anyone in the time of the Sega/Nintendo console wars.

I really love Kirby Super Star's OST,just listen to songs like meta knight revenge.
  • Like 1

I guess you didn't think about removing the slots inside the SNES then heh? It's what I ended up doing with my US SNES when I bought it.

I guess you didn't think about removing the slots inside the SNES then heh? It's what I ended up doing with my US SNES when I bought it.

I've got an EU SNES, and all my games are from here, so I've never had these sort of problems. Good luck trying to get a Super Famicom cartridge for cheap over in Britain!

Back when the "cut off the tabs to make SFC games fit" fix was first circulated around the Internet, I had a couple of friends rush right out to do it. Even though they ha no SDC games and had no immediate plans to get any. So they basically mutilated their cart slots for no reason.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Edited by godslabrat

I knew of the tabs being the obvious reason.. but the thought of opening my SNES or trying to remove it seemed a lot more risky to me than just carving out the carts.

It really wasn't until the internet that I read about other people normally taking out the tabs inside and that it was apparently easy, but at that point it we were already in N64, Saturn, and Playstation mode. :P