IGNORED

When and how did you discover DOOM on the PC?

Keatah

When the original came out we at the time didn't have a PC at the house. We had in the past, a 286 machine if I remember correctly. However, I was pretty young at the time, 4-5th grade. I would go down to my father's office and play on his 486. He was real good about getting me started in PC gaming. One day he showed me the game, and it really locked in my desire to completely switch over from consoles. Although,I had always played games on computers, I was at this time mostly playing Genesis games. Shortly afterwards we bought a pentium platform. Which continued to be upgraded wit the newest and most expensive hardware available until I got out of High school in 2001.

• Like 1

Doom, the biggest game of the year, the ultimate adventure, all magazines said that or similar.

My gaming PC was a 386, 16 mhz with 2 MB of RAM, and it would NOT run Doom, I really wanted to test it.

I remember getting a 486, the requisite 4 MB of RAM and being blown away from the first level, I couldn't stop playing it :)

In a past note, I ran Wolfenstein 3-D over a 286 with 12 mhz and NO hard disk, I uncompressed the game laboriously from A: to B: switching 1.44 MB disk every time and it worked. The only "detail" was that when it was loading some enemy not in cache, it would stall a while, but the game would keep running and sometimes you died just after loading was complete (1-2 seconds). Good times :grin:

• Like 1

Doom, the biggest game of the year, the ultimate adventure, all magazines said that or similar.

My gaming PC was a 386, 16 mhz with 2 MB of RAM, and it would NOT run Doom, I really wanted to test it.

I remember getting a 486, the requisite 4 MB of RAM and being blown away from the first level, I couldn't stop playing it :)

That's funny, that's exactly my own story! :)

• Like 2

I worked at Software Etc in 1992 while in high school selling Genesis and Nintendo games then moved into Uptech Comouters, a division of PC Warehouse in 1993. I built computers and we couldn't build them fast enough when Doom and The Seventh Guest came out. Everyone wanted a 486 DX2 66 by the time 1994 rolled around. I played Doom at home on my Pentium 75 hooked up to a vintage 1990 Pioneer audio receiver and full sized speakers. It honestly scared me too much to play late at night. I was 18 then and in college for comp sci. One Must Fall was another great one but I spent a ton of time playing Freelancer. I built at least 1000 computers from 93 to 98. Good times.

• Like 2