IGNORED

Space Invaders Tape/Cassette Version - inlay or box?!

ultrasteve

I've just received a sealed tape version of Space Invaders from Best Electronics, but it's just the tape in a case, no inlay or box.

Looking at the scans on AtariMania it looks like it may have come in a box - can anyone confirm?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-space-invaders_s4832.html

I'd really like to get hold of one, so if anyone has one to sell (either just the case or whole game) please get in touch?

Thanks!

post-45046-0-41171100-1473068914_thumb.png

As far as I know it's the same game as the cartridge version except it works properly on the XL/XE series, where the cartridge version had issues and would only run properly on a 400/800, apparently.

In the UK, we rarely had tape games in boxes, they were almost always a single jewel case with a printed inlay card.

• Like 1

I also replied on this question on Facebook. In Steve's link to Atarimania, you see clearly a space invaders tape box (the second row of pictures). I agree that carton boxed tapes in Europe were probably never made, the boxes Atari used in Europe are big A4 size plastic boxes or just the normal cassette box.

I think the box shown on Atarimania is an US box, just like the small cassette boxes for a.o. States and Capitals, Hangman etc.

Edited by Fred_M

I have several versions downloaded from various archives and the actual cart. I have at least one ATR and a couple XEX versions; IIRC the ATR is closest to the cart.

Besides the sound difference, also the fire "pattern" or AI of the invaders differs slightly in one version (disk? tape?) that makes it a bit harder. The "mothership" sound AND its flight time/path differs as well IIRC. There a few other minor differences as well, but it's been a while since I've played them extensively and can't recall what they are.

The cart plays fine on XE fwiw.

Great game.

Edited by suspicious_milk

I wish someone would make the arcade version(is there one already made..?),why dose it have a big ,looks like a Atari sign on the left of the screen for..?,I only have the deluxe version on cart,would love to get a copy of that Space Invaders. :)

I have about 10 carts,shame they don't have the boxes,well thats the first thing to go after 30 years.. :D

space_invaders.gif

post-6711-0-09500900-1473150745.jpg

It's a beauty, isn't it?! I have the big box cart version which I love, but to have one of these would just be amazing!

Yep it is,you can allways made one,wouldn't be to hard to made the cassette and manual but the box would be not as easy.thats what I do with my cassettes if they are missing a inlay,I print them out.

Edited by Spanner