IGNORED

Towering Inferno for the Intellivision

Kiwi

I think the tutorial needs to be accessed separately using a key on the keypad, or from an in-game menu. Its kinda irritating and gets in the way of the "one more go" game play style.

Oh, yeah! I forgot to mention this in my list, I also thought it was very important:

• Make the tutorial as an option when the game starts, or allow the player to choose it from the title screen as a separate "start" button.
  • Never make the player go through the tutorial again automatically when restarting from "Game Over."

It might also be worth displaying a pass code in the start sequence of each level. That way, players can skip the lower floors. Even a code for each tower would suffice. It could be given in the form of its area code in a city or something.

I don't know about that... :ponder:

I think games that let you skip ahead to continue where you left off are a bit of a cop-out. Maybe there should be "stages" (or "buildings" in this case) and you can only skip ahead to the last "building" you were in, not skip the entire game up to the point you were in.

Skipping ahead also doesn't lend itself to high score competitions. I'm not saying every game should support competitions, but this sort of game seems like it should. ;)

-dZ.

That was my original objective to leave the level, breaking a windows and then leave the room. Like in the Atari version.

Or is it the fire fighter breaking open a door and freeing the imaginary victims from their impending doom. I'm not sure and I still procreating reading that game's manual to confirm.

AND

Did you guys know your sound engine would work better if your data have the DATA statements. Apparently I had a brain fart and realize what I did wrong until I ported the Mad Bomber sound effect in. Now the "sound engine" And set up the sound channel 2 for noise, and sound 0 and 1 as tone so no play simple option for me to play music. Now I have to make music the hard way. :D :(

So next version should have the sound effects. So you guys can play with headphone to prevent waking up everything around you.

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

I added sound effects, 13 sounds so far. And added another level since an idea just struck my head.

Here's version 0.31:FIv31.rom

There's a low quality sound test menu accessible from the title screen. So you can point out what sound effects doesn't work well and can give suggest what needed to be changed. I'm using sound 1 for tone/volume, and sound 2 noise only volume. I also added selection to start level 1. So you can jump in immediately and forfeit the points you could have earned in the Tutorial level.

Here's a youtube video of the game since Gifeo can't do sounds:

I haven't tried the latest ROM on the Intellivision but it works fine in Nostagia and Jzintv.

• Like 5

Amazingly your sound effects are pretty good actually.

Maybe you could like to experiment with effects like this:

' 1. Exponential decay
        freq = (freq * 4) - freq

' 2. Exponential increase
        freq = (freq / 2) + freq / 4

' 3. Double sound (increase and decrease alternate)
        IF FRAME AND 1 THEN
             Use 255 - freq
        ELSE
             Use 128 + freq
        END IF

' 4. Minitune (init current to 0)
        SOUND 1,minitune(current / 4),12   ' So one note each 4 frames, also could play with volume
        current = current + 1

minitune: DATA 424,380,339  ' Taken from notes values of intybasic_epilogue.asm
  • Like 1

Hi, Kiwi,

I played around with the latest version (FIv31) and have the following feedback:

• There is something apparently wrong with the way the controller is being scanned that makes it overly sensitive. For instance, in the options menu, even when I slightly tap the arrow keys (in emulation), the selector may move more than once. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it seems to get two events. Likewise for the action buttons during the game: sometimes it seems to shoot water twice in a row. This is even more annoying during the tutorial, because the second spurious event makes it skip the first lines of text.
  • I like the sound effects, they are very "arcady." :) However, it seems to me that the water sound should be more "watery" and less "bleepy." By that I mean, more like a modulated white-noise "whoosh," with a slow attack. Something like this.
  • I don't really associate putting out flames with the sharp sound of explosions, so perhaps the percussive sound of putting out the fire would fit better for breaking the windows.
  • The sound effects of power-ups is very good.
  • The sound effect for counting the bonus points at the end of the level is too "noisy." It sounds more like a distortion error than on done on purpose. Perhaps a nice musical "tink!" would work better.
  • The sound effect for the final death is very cool, but does not really fit the event. It may be better to use it for a power-up or something like that. It may be better to use a more ominous sound for death.

Other than that, it's coming along nicely. Like always, sound effects just make a game come to life, but selecting appropriate sound effects can make a game shine even more. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

10/2

I added a boss to the final floor of the tower. And drew a new tileset to use up less GRAM and to be use for the boss's graphic. I slowed the fire animation speed to 15fps, so I can redefine the boss's graphic every 4 frames. So that leaves "define alternative" for the survivor's animation for future planning. Right now I am at 46KB/83KB maximum. So I want to get the other towers made before adding more animation to the survivor. And getting harder for me to tell which mapping is getting full.

And the funny thing when I was testing the multiplexing with the boss's sprite. I after I killed the Flame enemies, they were not able to be killed again after they been spawned. Earlier in production, I would turn off the interactive bit after they been killed. So the extinguish animation object wouldn't get picked up by the hardware collision detection as a hit. So I ported the spawn object routine from my previous project to this one. Guess I forgot to do. Yup, forgot to set the interactive bit to 1. I was going crazy and thinking I ran out of cpu cycles and missing the hardware collision thingy. Fortuanately, the game engine runs smoothly at 30fps.

Here's the youtube video with the disappearing sprites because the video is converted from 60 to 30 fps. And the helicopter routine with frozen chopper blade. I could not use GROM $CC, :_( . Nostagia lets me use the GROM $CC as sprites, but Jzintv and the Intellivision Master Component unit denied my usage. So I made the blade to be loaded into GRAM and it works. 7 MOBs for that helicopter.

Latest ROM:FIv33.rom

• Like 4

Hi, Kiwi,

I don't understand where your GRAM usage is going... ! It seems to me that your game is not too graphically intense, so I can't see how you are running out of GRAM. Unless you are loading all cards for animations at once as well.

Perhaps you can try using one or two cards for sprites (depending on vertical resolution) and only one card for background animated cards like the fire flames; then you can cycle the same slot with a new card as necessary. This sort of "GRAM Cycling" is what I do in my own games. It allows me to conserve GRAM for greater background detail.

-dZ.

I just played with your new build and here is some feedback.

• I like the fire flames at this speed. They look very cool.
  • The movements seem a bit smoother, perhaps it's because you re-shuffled your main game loop.
  • On a higher level, a new mechanic was introduced where you open up some "discs" to get them out of the way. I can't tell what they are so perhaps they could use some more detail. Also, I suggest making them impassable until the player shoots them with water, not just make them open casually when you step over them. (It lessens the challenge, see next one.)
  • On one level, I noticed that there was no key, so after I cleared the level of flames, I decided to go up to the "empty" corner on a whim, and I stumbled upon an "invisible disc" holding a key. The fact that I was able to just pick it up by randomly walking doesn't seem to be much of a challenge.
  • I got to the boss level!!! I like the boss, he looks like a Nintendo baddie. :lol: However, the background graphics and colours on that level make it almost impossible to understand what is what. Honestly, it looks like a strange "error" Color Stack background, with random cards and colours placed around.
  • Also, when I hid on the right edge, the boss got stuck in a corner, and you could hear his sound when he released his fireballs, but nothing would come out. I don't know if that's a bug.

Still annoying:

• Some sound effects do not fit. For instance, getting hit by a flame: the "bleep" is just too "nice" for a death event.
  • Sprites can move through the edges of walls making alignment with enemies and items difficult.
  • Control handling has no damping.
  • There is still something weird with the control decoder: sometimes a very slight press gets detected as multiple events. This causes me to inadvertently waste water, or move in the wrong direction.
  • The survivor is still hard to see.
  • The exit sign is a bit weird and hard to discern. (Maybe you should make it like a real "Exit" sign: red with white, capital letters. It could be there all the time, but grey, and then it lights up when the exit is open. Just an idea.)
  • Colours and cards seem much too random and do not give me a sense of the layout of the building. It looks like "generic 8-bit programmer art terrain" more than a burning building.
  • Breaking windows is still useless.

Nice going! The game is still challenging (I only got to the Boss once). I personally feel that you must do something about making the movements of the player more controllable (perhaps by channeling all movements within the center of a tile, or aligning all sprites to "pathway axes," or adding damping, or something) to make the experience less frustrating and focusing on the challenge of putting out the fires.

I like how you introduced new mechanics as the game progresses (the "discs," invisible keys, etc.), and the idea of having a boss level is very interesting. However, I find that the graphics are sort of generic and do not help convey a sense of the environment -- well, except the bricks and solid walls, which look obviously like what they are.

Take for example the special "discs": I can't tell what they are, and I can't find a "firefighter story element" in which they would fit. Obviously they are an important game mechanic, but it feels generic and cliche, like when you have to shoot fuel barrels in an FPS to get power-ups. I know I have to pick up the "disc," but I don't understand the motivation behind it other than "perhaps something interesting will happen."

What I do in these situations is to either make the object part of the story (e.g., the "discs" should be an important and obvious firefighting implement, like an axe or a first-aide kit), or add a twist to the story to make it fit (e.g., "the firefighter must try to recover items to help identify the burnt victims." If the discs may contain only keys, then it can be something like "the firefighter must search the desk of each floor manager for the office key." Extra gruesome points if you make them corpses instead of inanimate objects! :lol:).

One last thing. I don't get the windows. Are they good or bad? It could be either way: like people had said in this thread before, breaking a window could bring in a breeze that feeds the fire, or it could be a way to ventilate the smoke and aid the firefighter. However, in your game, they don't seem to be either. It seems like a missed opportunity. Come on, use the windows! They feel like they should be important! :)

Anyway, good job. Keep'em coming! :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Hi, Kiwi,

I don't understand where your GRAM usage is going... ! It seems to me that your game is not too graphically intense, so I can't see how you are running out of GRAM. Unless you are loading all cards for animations at once as well.

Perhaps you can try using one or two cards for sprites (depending on vertical resolution) and only one card for background animated cards like the fire flames; then you can cycle the same slot with a new card as necessary. This sort of "GRAM Cycling" is what I do in my own games. It allows me to conserve GRAM for greater background detail.

-dZ.

The first 32 GRAM is for the background. The first 3 is passthrough tiles. 12 for the walls, since they are top down style like legend of zelda. They are sorta place holder graphic at the moment. 1 for the door, 1 for the wooden/medal box, 1 for the barrel, 2 for the table, 2 for the window that does nothing for now, 1 for the gram cycling fire, 2 for the survivor, and etc. The top 32 cards are mostly for the MOB exception for card 35, which is for the floor number for the hud. First 3 is for the water, card 35 floor/info, 36-43 is for the fire fighter, 44 is gram cycling flame, 46 is free for animated mob, 48 for the boss's shot, could be converted to animated MOB, 50-57 is the extinguish animation. 58-63 is the capsule, the disc thing. You shoot to open the content. It had to be big enough to hide the key. And walking over to open it is my work around, so it won't hurt you when you touch it, and I don't have to figure out the collision to push your character away from it and could make you get stuck into walls.

• Like 1

I just played with your new build and here is some feedback.

I like the fire flames at this speed. They look very cool.

I do too.

The movements seem a bit smoother, perhaps it's because you re-shuffled your main game loop.

The game loop is the same,

while game=1

wait

control/hero movement/projectile and sprite update goes here

wait

fire animation/enemy behavior/boss behavior/his sprites hardware collision vs player

wend

No sign of interrupt in the loop like the very first version I posted that had slowdown when there's 6 flames until you kill one of them.

On a higher level, a new mechanic was introduced where you open up some "discs" to get them out of the way. I can't tell what they are so perhaps they could use some more detail. Also, I suggest making them impassable until the player shoots them with water, not just make them open casually when you step over them. (It lessens the challenge, see next one.)

It is easier to have it just open when you walk over it and not have it push you back. It no longer hurt your character like the first build.

On one level, I noticed that there was no key, so after I cleared the level of flames, I decided to go up to the "empty" corner on a whim, and I stumbled upon an "invisible disc" holding a key. The fact that I was able to just pick it up by randomly walking doesn't seem to be much of a challenge.

Yes, it's in random position every time you start that level, so as the previous level. Groovybee wanted randomization element to this game.

I got to the boss level!!! I like the boss, he looks like a Nintendo baddie. :lol: However, the background graphics and colours on that level make it almost impossible to understand what is what. Honestly, it looks like a strange "error" Color Stack background, with random cards and colours placed around.

It's not in color stack mode. It is in BG/FG mode. Different perpective, just for the boss fight. If you ever seen RPG SNES game like Chrono Trigger/FF6, then this style should be familar. The checkerboard is to tell Intycolor that this tile is solid and keep the tileset in specific order.

Also, when I hid on the right edge, the boss got stuck in a corner, and you could hear his sound when he released his fireballs, but nothing would come out. I don't know if that's a bug.

There is an object maximum of 6. Chances are there are 6 Flame roaming around, the boss can't spawn or spit anything until there's an zero in the object active slot. Yet can still put up wall of fire. It is a rather easy going bosses. The later bosses are going to be more difficult.

Still annoying:

Some sound effects do not fit. For instance, getting hit by a flame: the "bleep" is just too "nice" for a death event.

It's more of a remembance of playing games like Super Metroid. If Samus get hit for the final time, it get that echoing hit. I probably going to pause the game for a second playing that sound and then clear the screen and then do another sound.

Sprites can move through the edges of walls making alignment with enemies and items difficult.

You can use the keypad to spray in 8 different direction while standing still.

Control handling has no damping.

There is still something weird with the control decoder: sometimes a very slight press gets detected as multiple events. This causes me to inadvertently waste water, or move in the wrong direction.

Will mess around with that later in production, during condensation stage.

The survivor is still hard to see.

First survivor in the tutorial level is a fake dummy, after all it is a training stage.

The second is just some rpg looking dude I guess.

Third one is a guy reading a book. That how see the guy I was rescuing in H.E.R.O. when I was a kid. He probably started the fire anyway, ignoring the no smoking sign.

The exit sign is a bit weird and hard to discern. (Maybe you should make it like a real "Exit" sign: red with white, capital letters. It could be there all the time, but grey, and then it lights up when the exit is open. Just an idea.)

Naa... I like the exit as it is now. It clear enough to let the player know that they have to get to this random black gibberish box to complete this level.

Colours and cards seem much too random and do not give me a sense of the layout of the building. It looks like "generic 8-bit programmer art terrain" more than a burning building.

Tutorial level is like a training room in fire station. The white writing in black is like a chalkboard

1st tower is a warehouse themed level.

Breaking windows is still useless.

Yup, it sure is.

Nice going! The game is still challenging (I only got to the Boss once). I personally feel that you must do something about making the movements of the player more controllable (perhaps by channeling all movements within the center of a tile, or aligning all sprites to "pathway axes," or adding damping, or something) to make the experience less frustrating and focusing on the challenge of putting out the fires.

Thanks, I like making fun challenging games. The pathway, I'm happy that the character is able to go through narrow hallway without too much trouble and not being about to slide against walls. You probably may want to try it on the real Intellivision to get the feel for the controls. You have the keypad to help you aim in 8 direction, but sometime it move your character a bit. Not too bad.

I like how you introduced new mechanics as the game progresses (the "discs," invisible keys, etc.), and the idea of having a boss level is very interesting. However, I find that the graphics are sort of generic and do not help convey a sense of the environment -- well, except the bricks and solid walls, which look obviously like what they are.

Graphics isn't too important, but you sometime have to use your imagination to determine what some of the object I'm trying to make using the 8x8 2 color limitation.

Take for example the special "discs": I can't tell what they are, and I can't find a "firefighter story element" in which they would fit. Obviously they are an important game mechanic, but it feels generic and cliche, like when you have to shoot fuel barrels in an FPS to get power-ups. I know I have to pick up the "disc," but I don't understand the motivation behind it other than "perhaps something interesting will happen."

They are capsule and mostly solid image. They are to hide the key until the player spray them with water. And also padding out the game with level.

What I do in these situations is to either make the object part of the story (e.g., the "discs" should be an important and obvious firefighting implement, like an axe or a first-aide kit), or add a twist to the story to make it fit (e.g., "the firefighter must try to recover items to help identify the burnt victims." If the discs may contain only keys, then it can be something like "the firefighter must search the desk of each floor manager for the office key." Extra gruesome points if you make them corpses instead of inanimate objects! :lol:).

Hmm... That's an idea.

One last thing. I don't get the windows. Are they good or bad? It could be either way: like people had said in this thread before, breaking a window could bring in a breeze that feeds the fire, or it could be a way to ventilate the smoke and aid the firefighter. However, in your game, they don't seem to be either. It seems like a missed opportunity. Come on, use the windows! They feel like they should be important! :)

Nanochess said it'll intensify the flames if there's broken window. So that what it going to do.

Anyway, good job. Keep'em coming! :)

Will do. :D

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

post-24767-0-85801300-1475639977_thumb.gif

Here's an example on what will happen if you break open a window. You gain 13 unlucky points and every fire in the room multiply and make barrel turn into fierce blue fire. Plus you can now accidently turn the survivor into a BBQ. It's more a risk and reward thing.

Above is a bug.

This is the intended behavior

post-24767-0-61644300-1475640923_thumb.gif

Ok, I gotta go get some sleep before I hit true insanity.

Edited by Kiwi

It's not in color stack mode. It is in BG/FG mode. Different perpective, just for the boss fight. If you ever seen RPG SNES game like Chrono Trigger/FF6, then this style should be familar. The checkerboard is to tell Intycolor that this tile is solid and keep the tileset in specific order.

The mode doesn't matter, I just meant that it looks messy. You may want it to look like an SNES RPG, but the resolution and colour palette does not allow for a like-for-like imitation, so you should really play to the strengths of the platform. Besides, most of those RPGs still looked like crappy programmer art. ;)

It's more of a remembance of playing games like Super Metroid. If Samus get hit for the final time, it get that echoing hit. I probably going to pause the game for a second playing that sound and then clear the screen and then do another sound.

Yes, but this is not a sci-fi arcade game. Consider the theme and the player's expectations.

You can use the keypad to spray in 8 different direction while standing still.

That's not the point, there are still dead-zones due to misalignment, and alignment is not easy due to lack of damping (and the double-event issue).

First survivor in the tutorial level is a fake dummy, after all it is a training stage.

The second is just some rpg looking dude I guess.

Third one is a guy reading a book. That how see the guy I was rescuing in H.E.R.O. when I was a kid. He probably started the fire anyway, ignoring the no smoking sign.

Thanks for the explanation, but I'm sure I am not the only one to note that none of that comes across at all. Perhaps you'd like to simplify the graphic and make it something recognizable?

Naa... I like the exit as it is now. It clear enough to let the player know that they have to get to this random black gibberish box to complete this level.

Fine, horses for courses, but in my opinion having words split into lines (especially such a short one!) is a sign of laziness and lack of polish in any game. You may think that small details are inconsequential and do not matter, but the little details is what makes a game truly memorable. :)

Tutorial level is like a training room in fire station. The white writing in black is like a chalkboard

1st tower is a warehouse themed level.

Again, none of that comes across. Some of the various terrain graphics seem random and unrecognizable, and some levels are particularly confusing. Regular buildings have lots of features that can be recognized and by their placement guide the player to tell what they are. Since your game is a "bird's eye view" of a building floor plan, you may want to take a look at building floor plans to see the types of features they include. There are specific graphics that are used as "placeholders" for notable things, such as doors, desks, tables, plants, etc. These are common tropes because it allows the reader (e.g., architect, engineer, building foreman, real estate executive, etc.) to tell easily how the space is used just with simple symbols. Judicious use of colour can also help give a sense of space.

You probably may want to try it on the real Intellivision to get the feel for the controls. You have the keypad to help you aim in 8 direction, but sometime it move your character a bit. Not too bad.

I will try on a real Intellivision on the week-end and report back. By the way, why 8 directions and not 16? I noticed that also with the baddies.

Graphics isn't too important, but you sometime have to use your imagination to determine what some of the object I'm trying to make using the 8x8 2 color limitation.

Graphics are especially important when you have such low level of resolution and limited colour palette to convey useful information. ;) Relying on the player's imagination is perfectly fine, as long as the player has something grounded in his reality that he can build from. In my opinion, composition matters more than graphical detail, and story elements need to be clear or at least easily identifiable.

This does not mean they have to resemble objects in real life (although that helps, of course), but that if you have too many random-looking element in the background, adding a special random-looking one may not stand out from the clutter and confuse the player.

Nanochess said it'll intensify the flames if there's broken window. So that what it going to do.

That sounds like a very good idea! :) :thumbsup:

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

attachicon.gifFireInsanity.gif

Here's an example on what will happen if you break open a window. You gain 13 unlucky points and every fire in the room multiply and make barrel turn into fierce blue fire. Plus you can now accidently turn the survivor into a BBQ. It's more a risk and reward thing.

The second one looks great! The "risk/reward" trade-off is perfectly applicable, just like a firefighter in real life. I like that it is not fully "good" nor fully "bad," but that you have to make a judgement. It also prevents players from going around wasting water shooting at everything indiscriminately; they have to apply at least some basic strategy and thought.

By the way, why did the firefighter die at the end of the last video? I didn't see any flames when he broke the second window.

-dZ.

You move in 16 direction, I want to take advantage of the 16 directional disc. You shoot in 8 direction, like you do in AD&D. And then face in 4 direction due to GRAM limitation.

Groovybee mentioned about fire touching the survivor and turning him into BBQ bricks. Breaking a window will make the fire expand. If there's fire near the person, and you break the window. The fire will engulf the person and turn him into a skeleton(The bottom GRAM card is inverted). I probably will make the exit appear when that happen, just one less survivor to worry less points at the Tower screen.

• Like 1

Just a small question. Why isn't

if x>220 and x<35 then 

doesn't work. And this work around does?

if x>220 then goto movethisenemy
if x<35 then

does.

The idea is to use box collusion, so when the player get near the enemy's perimeter, the enemy approach you. If if x>220 and x<35 then would work then I have an easier time getting the y coordinate working.

Here's the full script of this enemy.

if bada(i)=8 then
#badp(i)=fireanitable2(baddyanim)
x=vmx-badx(i)
y=vmy-bady(i)
print at 0 color 7,<3> x
print at 3 color 6,<3> y

if flipper=1 then
'if flipper=1 and y>220 then goto movethisenemy
'if flipper=1 and y<35 then goto movethisenemy
'if flipper=1  y>220 and y<35 then goto movethisenemy
'if y>220 and y<35 then

if x>220 then goto movethisenemy
if x<35 then
movethisenemy:
if badx(i)>vmx then badx(i)=badx(i)-1:gosub enbgscan:if Mcard>5 AND Mcard<14 then badx(i)=badx(i)+1
if badx(i)<vmx then badx(i)=badx(i)+1:gosub enbgscan:if Mcard>5 AND Mcard<14 then badx(i)=badx(i)-1
if bady(i)>vmy then bady(i)=bady(i)-1:gosub enbgscan:if Mcard>5 AND Mcard<14 then bady(i)=bady(i)+1
if bady(i)<vmy then bady(i)=bady(i)+1:gosub enbgscan:if Mcard>5 AND Mcard<14 then bady(i)=bady(i)-1
end if
end if
end if
'end if

enbgscan procedure, probably not relevant, but just in case.

enbgscan:procedure
lx=badx(i)-4
ly=bady(i)-4
charx=lx/8
chary=ly/8
Mcard=PEEK($200+charx+chary*20)
Mcard=Mcard/8
return
end

Here's a short clip of it working with the work around:

post-24767-0-22577100-1476158010_thumb.gif

I'm kinda need a second pair of eyes to see what I am doing wrong. Thanks.