IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

You guys are killing me. ITS CALLED WORK for a reason. I had no idea so many employers paid their employees to play games while they are suppose to be working.

I believe, by law, most Americans are required to take multiple breaks throughout the day, and some of us don't smoke.

• Like 3

its 15 min every 2 hours and a half hour lunch minimum in my state, not even worth booting up a device

Yeah, but if it's up already you can easily play a round of Mortal Kombat. I never did because I tend to suck but I did enjoy watching people that were good while getting my coffee.

Still noone curious about the cartridges? I certainly am. With risk of repeating what i wrote a few pages back the overwhelming consensus in the RVGS debacle among us old geezers is that flash memory in cartridges = ass for collectors because the data on them will degrade over time making collecting in the long run useless.

The Switch has ditched optical media and went for carts + digital it seems. What is in these carts? Flash or old school ROM?

The most hardcore collectors i know are Nintendo fans. What are the future of collecting games if the data on them will rot away?

Back in the day it was hardware specs that drove my purchase decisions. Sizes of drives and memory, processor speeds, # of onscreen colors and resolution. Stuff like that. Then it laboriously and slowly transitioned to present, what stoftware was available for a given platform was now the factor.

And the PC happens to be my platoforom of choice. I enjoy the complexity of the software and the ability to organize and manage things as I see fit.

I may never buy a switch for myself personally. But that doesn't mean I won't give them as gifts and prizes - there's nothing glaringly wrong the system that I can see other than we're 6-7 months away from being able ourchase one. Realistically. Without waiting in line overnite.

I don't think anyone is thinking the commercial Switch cartridges will be flash memory, though that seems likely for downloads.

The ROM cartridges used by 3DS can go up to 8GB in size, and I would assume the Switch could go even bigger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_game_card

I think 8GB is plenty for the type of game that the Switch looks like it will run. A big Wii U game is way less than that, and 3DS games never even got close to the limit. One can complain about not having high resolution textures but IMHO that misses the point of what they're trying to make.

Our office actually has a few PS4s, a pool table and air hockey. It's mostly over lunch and gets people talking rather than staring at a phone over a sandwich. As long as you're output makes sense so one is worried about taking a break.

At breaks we watch Netflix. And bitch about the government.

If it is easy to port games to the Switch I can see a lot of remakes and remasters coming to the Switch. Just look how excited some people are that they can play Skyrim on the toilet.

If 3rd parties can make some extra cash by re-selling some their old (but still good) games on a portable device they will. There will be people who haven't played these games before but also those who will buy them again to have a portable version.

My predictions are there will be Elder Scrolls, Batman Arkham games, Bioshock collection.

The Nvidia Shield had a version of Portal, hopefully there is some way that gets released on the Switch.

For you, maybe. I know plenty of people who don't see much difference between SD and HD TV. For me, 1080p is definitely good enough for me, for now. We can wait until the 4K prices are crazy cheap like the 1080p prices are now. If I want 4K content, I'll go outside and look at real life stuff with my eyes.

i-went-outside-once-the-graphics-aren-t-

I have never met anyone who couldn't tell the difference between a standard CRT TV and an HD. It's such a huge difference, I can't see how one couldn't tell them apart, aside from being legally blind. Even VHS to DVD was huge.

If 1080p is good for you, that's fine. 4k thankfully has dropped a lot since its introduction. Unfortunate, OLED 4K not so much. It cost me a small fortune in August, but hey I'm happy.

• Like 1

Depends on the TV I had a VERY good and large crt

And yea while I could "tell" the difference it wasn't enough for me to run out and drop a couple grand on a 720p

Finally a couple years ago I broke down and dropped a.couple hundred on a 1080, not cause the image was so outstanding, its cause they stopped showing football in 4:3 on sdtv

Depends on the TV I had a VERY good and large crt

And yea while I could "tell" the difference it wasn't enough for me to run out and drop a couple grand on a 720p

Finally a couple years ago I broke down and dropped a.couple hundred on a 1080, not cause the image was so outstanding, its cause they stopped showing football in 4:3 on sdtv

Trinitron? Loved those CRT's. I will say it does get harder to tell with each new form. But that's not only TV, it's all technology. I remember being in shock the first time I played my Genesis in August, 1989. What a step up from my NES and SMS! Today? Not nearly the difference.

Nintendo introduces a new game console with gimmicky controllers and underpowered hardware.

People criticize the hardware but fans defend the Nintendo.

If a gimmicky controller allows third party developers to use traditional controls as standard then, in my opinion, criticism of the gimmicks isn't justified because the gimmicks are optional and therefore both the developers and gamers could just use the traditional controls and ignore the gimmicks. For an example, this gimmicky controller:

What other hybrid console has more power to compare the Switch to to determine that it is underpowered by comparison? Or to put the question another way, by what little that is known about the specs of the Switch what alternative specs would be more powerful while still finding a balance between a very powerful handheld and that handheld coming pretty close to a console in power when docked? And as a follow up to that, if these alternative specs were used then would it not have any negative affects on the overall design like increasing the size of the handheld and/or dock, increasing the price, them having to go back to the drawing board and do a redesign, etc.?

What's gimmicky about them? That they disconnect so you can still use them when the center section with the guts and screen is docked?

So far this is the least gimmicky control setup we've seen out of Nintendo since the GameCube/GBA days. No motion, no touch control, no dual screens, no pointer controls, etc. Just good old fashioned buttons, dual analog sticks, a d-pad, and shoulder buttons. Sure sounds conventional to me.

Heck, they even showed off a configuration for them that connects the two halves, providing for a more traditional gamepad form factor. Nintendo could've easily eschewed such an accessory after training us to hold a nunchuck in one hand and a Wiimote in the other.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

What's gimmicky about them? That they disconnect so you can still use them when the center section with the guts and screen is docked?

So far this is the least gimmicky control setup we've seen out of Nintendo since the GameCube/GBA days. No motion, no touch control, no dual screens, no pointer controls, etc. Just good old fashioned buttons, dual analog sticks, a d-pad, and shoulder buttons. Sure sounds conventional to me.

Heck, they even showed off a configuration for them that connects the two halves, providing for a more traditional gamepad form factor. Nintendo could've easily eschewed such an accessory after training us to hold a nunchuck in one hand and a Wiimote in the other.

I think that's the one saving grace of the Switch. It's about as ungimmicky as anything Nintendo has released for years. The Wii was gimmicky as hell. I said so at the time and the way that sales nosedived once people got bored with it wasn't unexpected. The Wii U suffered from being seen as 'the next Wii'. People didn't want gimmicks.

The detachable controllers are just good design. What Nintendo have done is taken the tablet concept and bundled controllers with them, which is what restricts the use of tablets for decent gaming. There's nothing new here apart from the docking station. But that's not really that groundbreaking either as it's just a charging port/HDMI extender. There are tablets with HDMI but very few people connect them to their TVs. Nintendo have realised that it's a feature that's under utilised and that they could extend the usability of the Switch by providing a docking station that makes it easy. Most people can't be bothered getting the right HDMI cables for their tablets so Nintendo have taken that 'complication' away from them.

• Like 4

Watched the video on my U for the switch.

It looked like the people in it were from another planet and needed to be hospitalized on how addicted they looked to the switch like it had controll over them. They are inside playing vid games, need to take the dog to poop vid games, plane vid games, playing basketball with friends the guy plays basketball on the switch taking a break from really playing basketball, picnic with friends vid games. I wonder who will be the first to marry it in Japan?