IGNORED

Nintendo Switch

Punisher5.0

i am not impressed by mainatining 3 batteries to play a wii U game for a simplistic game

The Wii U was the same -- tablet has a rechargeable battery, and any wiimotes have their own AAs.

The Switch is no different from an iPhone with an Apple Watch and a set of AirPods.

What, you don't want that either, ya big grouch? :-P

I tried out the Switch at PAX South. Anyone have any questions? I was able to play Breath of the Wild on it.

Nice. It's not coming to me for a couple of weeks.

Tell us about he screen's brightness and sharpness to your eye. Is it laminated or does it look like it's under a thick layer of glass?

How sturdy does the whole package feel? Do the railed controllers move easily?

Did you use the joycon straps? I didn't realize they had button extenders.

That dock doesn't seem to have much going on. I expected pogo pins like the 3DS docks, not a full-on USB C jack. Maybe that's for the first big revision. Does it guide the tablet portion in so you hit the USB C connection easily?

I'm thinking a pro controller for the dock would be the way to go, so I'm not always assembling and disassembling it.

Does anyone know how Walmart in-store preorders work? A couple of hours ago my wife said she ordered a Switch, BOTW Master Edition, Super Bomberman R, a pair of Joy-Cons in both colors, and the Joy-Con Charging Grip. I'm not entirely sure if that is the exact list but that is what she claimed based on the pictures I showed after she told me. Anyway, to her understanding, our Walmart is getting 100 consoles and if you pay full price upfront you definitely get one but if you just pay $75 like she did you just get put on the list but can get bumped off of it with the $75 lost if others pay the full price upfront. Does that sound right and if not how does it really work?

Does anyone know how Walmart in-store preorders work? A couple of hours ago my wife said she ordered a Switch, BOTW Master Edition, Super Bomberman R, a pair of Joy-Cons in both colors, and the Joy-Con Charging Grip. I'm not entirely sure if that is the exact list but that is what she claimed based on the pictures I showed after she told me. Anyway, to her understanding, our Walmart is getting 100 consoles and if you pay full price upfront you definitely get one but if you just pay $75 like she did you just get put on the list but can get bumped off of it with the $75 lost if others pay the full price upfront. Does that sound right and if not how does it really work?

to be honest mate, I think at worst, if you have a wii U, just get Zelda on that and in a few months time it will all calm down, I wanted to get a nes mini and thought that be a nice plug and play system, its more plug and overpay thanks to Nintendo not creating enough supply, and scumbag sellers on amazon are still selling it for triple the price

Edited by D.Daniels

to be honest mate, I think at worst, if you have a wii U, just get Zelda on that and in a few months time it will all calm down, I wanted to get a nes mini and thought that be a nice plug and play system, its more plug and overpay thanks to Nintendo forgetting people still do love them

I don't have a Wii U(Maybe someday though). It was a pre-order done by my wife and was originally meant as a surprise as an early anniversary gift. But something came up that made her want to tell me about it to ease me into telling me about what came up. I guess she wanted to make me happy first before breaking the news or something. She can mix things up so I'm wondering if her understanding about how the pre-order works is how it actually does so that I don't have to worry that she may have wasted $75 that she could lose by being bumped out of line.

• Like 1

I don't have a Wii U(Maybe someday though). It was a pre-order done by my wife and was originally meant as a surprise as an early anniversary gift. But something came up that made her want to tell me about it to ease me into telling me about what came up. I guess she wanted to make me happy first before breaking the news or something. She can mix things up so I'm wondering if her understanding about how the pre-order works is how it actually does so that I don't have to worry that she may have wasted $75 that she could lose by being bumped out of line.

when you have a moment, give Walmart a call and ask how the pre order process works, a 100 switches doesn't sound a lot

your wife is cool doing that as an anniversary gift, she could have asked you to carry her up the Eiffel tower

Edited by D.Daniels

Amazing! I certainly hope that the "training wheels" mode is optional (and preferably I would have it disabled in online matches), because a self driving racer that would let even a drunk and half passed out player win a cup without even trying just doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Yeah I'm not crazy about the training wheels. The game looked very good graphically though. Nintendo knocked it out of the park with MK8 so I'm excited to see what they add to with this version.

It's actually going to depend on your specific Wal-Mart. The system doesn't mark the order the presales are done in, so it is possible the store can rearrange the list at will. However, your $75 down payment CANNOT BE "LOST". They can't just take your money and give you nothing, that's illegal. What would happen is you'd get bumped to a later allotment: So at some point in the future, you'd get $75 off your Switch purchase at Wal-Mart.

I'd definitely call your Wal-Mart ASAP & ask to talk to the store manager (or at least the electronics manager) and confirm their setup for Switch pre-orders. Quite frankly, if they won't hold the system for you without full payment up front, it might not be worth doing. Also- your wife has a receipt for her $75, right? You should be able to reference that & get them to tell you exactly what's been ordered. (If there is no receipt, get down there immediately & either get one or get your money back, because that's a problem!)

• Like 2

I can't speak for walmart, but I remember in the past many of the game stores around the old EB and Software Etc (earlier Gamestop days too.) You'd go to the counter and you'd get the choice, but it was more of, you pay like a percentage up front which usually was like $50 or so, and you're now locked into a list, but it would slide. The stores did to to make people more hungry to pay up front, so they'd encourage you on the list, but then tell you to pay more or you can forget getting one if others do and you're too cheap to do so.

I'd call the store. I know people that Gamestop and EB burned in the past doing this garbage because they would go into the store day one with the receipt after waiting in line for pick up to be told, well we got 100 of them, but you didn't give us enough so we gave it to someone else. I'm surprised more people didn't try and choke someone over it because it's just a sleazy tactic really. Don't tell someone it's only a preorder if not enough people pre-PAY in advance, because otherwise you're just on a waiting list for the second, third, or fourth delivery run as they come in, as long as more people don't prepay up front first before you.

I can't speak for walmart, but I remember in the past many of the game stores around the old EB and Software Etc (earlier Gamestop days too.) You'd go to the counter and you'd get the choice, but it was more of, you pay like a percentage up front which usually was like $50 or so, and you're now locked into a list, but it would slide. The stores did to to make people more hungry to pay up front, so they'd encourage you on the list, but then tell you to pay more or you can forget getting one if others do and you're too cheap to do so.

I'd call the store. I know people that Gamestop and EB burned in the past doing this garbage because they would go into the store day one with the receipt after waiting in line for pick up to be told, well we got 100 of them, but you didn't give us enough so we gave it to someone else. I'm surprised more people didn't try and choke someone over it because it's just a sleazy tactic really. Don't tell someone it's only a preorder if not enough people pre-PAY in advance, because otherwise you're just on a waiting list for the second, third, or fourth delivery run as they come in, as long as more people don't prepay up front first before you.

Walmart does layaway now, which is uncharacteristically shrewd for them. I doubt they'll pull any sliding list crap. GameStop carried N64 games through the beginning of 2006, I remember being ignored when I asked to see them! I think retailers may ease up on the rat race suggestive selling with the tremendous online competition. Just a little rant.

to be honest mate, I think at worst, if you have a wii U, just get Zelda on that and in a few months time it will all calm down, I wanted to get a nes mini and thought that be a nice plug and play system, its more plug and overpay thanks to Nintendo not creating enough supply, and scumbag sellers on amazon are still selling it for triple the price

So just do what I'm doing - forget about it until you see it in stores again. If they don't get it in stores again, simply continue forgetting about it.

Nintendo did claim they were going to make more of them but I wouldn't expect that until later this year when the initial shipments of Switches are out.

• Like 1

That sounds wrong, both factually wrong, and morally wrong. Maybe that employee intends to pocket your $75 or something, but this shouldn't be how a pre-order works. In any case, I would use a credit card, get a receipt, and be prepared for a fight or some disappointment with that place.

I've ordered one via GameStop, which seems sold out at the moment, It might be too late to get a pre-order, but Nintendo has stated that they don't expect supply problems for this.

• Like 2

So just do what I'm doing - forget about it until you see it in stores again. If they don't get it in stores again, simply continue forgetting about it.

Nintendo did claim they were going to make more of them but I wouldn't expect that until later this year when the initial shipments of Switches are out.

I'm not so much fussed about not getting it physically, I have a nes emu and games, I'm just annoyed that the Nes mini, which should be an affordable gift, is being resold by sellers for such gross prices, if it were possible these sellers would resell oxygen.........and your still have to pay £10 in postage and packing :(

I'm glad if people can get a Switch but the shortage is mad.

Edited by D.Daniels

Da'Fuck? That's too funny. Forget about something. And if you're not reminded, keep forgetting about it! But in order to go through the act of forgetting you have to have been reminded of it in the first place!

That sounds wrong, both factually wrong, and morally wrong. Maybe that employee intends to pocket your $75 or something, but this shouldn't be how a pre-order works. In any case, I would use a credit card, get a receipt, and be prepared for a fight or some disappointment with that place.

I've ordered one via GameStop, which seems sold out at the moment, It might be too late to get a pre-order, but Nintendo has stated that they don't expect supply problems for this.

It sounds wrong to me too and since I assume at least someone on this thread has pre-ordered it or other things from Walmart they would know the answer. My wife has a comprehension issue with taking in information and relaying it and doesn't over analyse and ask every relevant question like I would. However, after rereading my post I realize I said something wrong. By $75 lost I didn't mean it is just gone but lost at being used for one of the 100 March 3rd launch consoles and can be bumped off of it to a future shipment of consoles. In other words, lost for use with the launch units. So, she said it is something like if 100 people put the $75 down and then a 101th person that shows up pays in full then one of the people that put $75 down gets bumped off the list(who gets bumped off is determined by being the last in line that day). So, if 100 people pay in full then it bumps all 100 people that put $75 down off the list for a future shipment. She made it sound like that day she could stand in line for hours then once she gets to the front they will say,"Sorry but you got bumped off the list because someone else bought your spot by paying in full." However, she did say that the $75 could be lost if you don't finish paying it off because it is non-refundable. It isn't my $75 but hers. I only have a secure credit card that I recently got to improve my credit that I have to keep the utilization low on.